General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 15-Jan-20 02:02:57
Print Post

Wind ...

[link to this post]

This storm is playing havoc with my connection:

My Broadband Ping

It does however keep coming back with speeds of around 19 up and 74-78 down ... although I wonder if DLM will kick in later today and really drive the speed down!

I'm going to guess at a slight connection issue at the pole end that is teh casue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jan-20 06:12:43
Print Post

Re: Wind ...

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yeah, when we were on ADSL2+ over the copper line ours would go up and down all over the place to where the line would just go dead.

BT sent their engineers out to test our copper line and there was a hair line fracture in the outer casing of cables right where our pair was located, sadly there was no more free pairs available and they wasn't going to lay an additional cable just for one line.

So when it rained heavy our line would go bad, bad wind also caused issues too.

The really bad thing was most of the time when the line went dead, BT's tests showed it was dead and calculated it was an external fault, but when every their engineers came out to test it the line would start working again, but still bad.

The engineer did do some tests and there was a single wire that was broken between the hardware in chamber by our pole and the phone cabinet. They did say that they won't replace the whole cable or add a new additional one just for one line, which confirmed what BT told me on the phone.

That was why when we was able to get FTTP we got rid of the copper line fully, basically I terminated it in the BT80 box.

BT at the time was nice though they reduced the ADSL 2+ Broadband cost to about £5 p/m which was nice considering we was only getting 4 to 5 Mbps on a very good day to nothing when it was windy and raining.

Paul

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 15-Jan-20 08:52:07
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

From 18:25 to 02:25 there were at least 25 occureneces where the connection dropped. Since then, nothing

Currently have a 19 up 69.5 down sync at 5dB compared with a normal 78.x at 3dB so it looks as though DLM has not given me too many problems especially as I did see some figures of max or sync at around 35-40 ... Now need to wait a week for it to climb back - normally it will resync at 1dB lower after sometime between 2 and 3 days.

M H C

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burble
(member) Wed 15-Jan-20 10:12:10
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Yeah, when we were on ADSL2+ over the copper line ours would go up and down all over the place to where the line would just go dead.

BT sent their engineers out to test our copper line and there was a hair line fracture in the outer casing of cables right where our pair was located, sadly there was no more free pairs available and they wasn't going to lay an additional cable just for one line.

So when it rained heavy our line would go bad, bad wind also caused issues too.

The really bad thing was most of the time when the line went dead, BT's tests showed it was dead and calculated it was an external fault, but when every their engineers came out to test it the line would start working again, but still bad.

The engineer did do some tests and there was a single wire that was broken between the hardware in chamber by our pole and the phone cabinet. They did say that they won't replace the whole cable or add a new additional one just for one line, which confirmed what BT told me on the phone.

That was why when we was able to get FTTP we got rid of the copper line fully, basically I terminated it in the BT80 box.

BT at the time was nice though they reduced the ADSL 2+ Broadband cost to about £5 p/m which was nice considering we was only getting 4 to 5 Mbps on a very good day to nothing when it was windy and raining.

Paul

We have had an intermittent fault for years, the disconnects are generally proportional with the amount of rain we get. I suspect a similar fault to yours, but every time OR come out it works fine and despite the logs showing the disconnects they say nothing is wrong with the line.
I wonder what the level of faults will be once the fibre is mature.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jan-20 12:33:07
Print Post

What proportion of your line is overhead ?

If itís just the span from house to DP, thatís what needs replacing.... if thereís aerial cable involved, then a visual look for where it dog legs round a branch is a likely issue.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 15-Jan-20 13:18:28
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Standard single pole to pole span than a 55m pole to eaves drop. Probably does need a check as it is also slightly low over the road.

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jan-20 14:43:31
Print Post

Does it run through trees at any point ?

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 15-Jan-20 17:12:20
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Just through the edge of a conifer - no damage apparent there though.

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jan-20 20:27:03
Print Post

It often isnít obvious, it might be enough to repeatedly stretch the dropwire and eventually cause a weak point on the copper.

All conjecture of course.

Print Thread

Jump to