General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User slowmo87
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-20 18:00:36
Print Post

Will I ever get good internet?

[link to this post]

6 years with a FTTC speed of 17/1 and looks like no sign of improvement. Currently on the WSARD exchange. No virginmedia either. Short of moving am I really stuck with this? I can't even stream 1080p (plex) and in a shared household it's not fun even with QoC setup correctly.

It's frustrating that a single game update can take hours while I have friends finishing big updates in minutes. I realise there is people with even worse connections than my own, but if I am to believe the statistics then i'm in the 5% slowest in the country?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Jan-20 18:05:07
Print Post

Re: Will I ever get good internet?

[re: slowmo87] [link to this post]

1080p are the usual Netflix and Amazon prime bit rates should run happily in around 5 to 6 Mbps. So if a 17 Mbps is not able to stream that then you have another problem in addition to a long VDSL2 line.

In theory the Scottish R100 contracts might bring you something in the next couple of years.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 24-Jan-20 19:10:42
Print Post

Depends what you want to pay.

Technically, you can order FTTPoD if you're in FTTC footprint. It is likely to cost in the region of £10K and quite possibly more. That might be cheaper than the stamp duty from moving house - or it might not.

However given R100, maybe it makes more sense to look at 4G options while you wait. Pretty much all the operators now have reasonably-priced unlimited 4G packages, so check which gives you the best coverage. You might have to pay someone to install an external antenna on the side of your house, but the cost will be peanuts compared to FTTPoD.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jan-20 21:16:42
Print Post

If Netflix isnít working on 17 sync then you may need to think about changing ISP.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Jan-20 11:19:33
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
If Netflix isnít working on 17 sync then you may need to think about changing ISP.

Agreed, several years back we were watching Netflix on a 5.2Mbit ADSL 2+ connection that wasn't stable, and Netflix would switch between HD and non HD, but was still viewable, granted nobody else could use the connection while watching Netflix.

Back then we use to have to schedule stuff, work out who needed to download or watch stuff.

To watch Twitch at 1080p @ 60fps they say to use between 4.5Mbits to 6Mbits.
And 720p @ 60fps they say to use 4.5Mbits.

So yeah 17Mbits should be fine.

Paul

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 25-Jan-20 16:11:53
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Used to run 2 netflix streams on an 18mbit connection no problem, with bandwidth to spare
Standard User slowmo87
(newbie) Sat 08-Feb-20 10:42:44
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Depends what you want to pay.

Technically, you can order FTTPoD if you're in FTTC footprint. It is likely to cost in the region of £10K and quite possibly more. That might be cheaper than the stamp duty from moving house - or it might not.

However given R100, maybe it makes more sense to look at 4G options while you wait. Pretty much all the operators now have reasonably-priced unlimited 4G packages, so check which gives you the best coverage. You might have to pay someone to install an external antenna on the side of your house, but the cost will be peanuts compared to FTTPoD.

£10k or moving house, neither an option at the moment for me.

Could you point me in the direction of these reasonably-priced 4G packages? I'm not having much luck finding any.
--

Also netflix 1080p is different from the 1080p I'm streaming which is 10-15Mbits.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 08-Feb-20 11:10:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by slowmo87:
Could you point me in the direction of these reasonably-priced 4G packages? I'm not having much luck finding any.
That's strange. I just googled unlimited 4G broadband and see many relevant links.

For example: https://www.4g.co.uk/unlimited-mobile-broadband/

There is also a Mobile Broadband forum on this site.

Tethering of phones is also now allowed, by order of Ofcom.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 08-Feb-20 11:15:32)

Standard User slowmo87
(newbie) Sat 08-Feb-20 12:17:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by slowmo87:
Tethering of phones is also now allowed, by order of Ofcom.

Ah, this was my issue. I was looking for packages specifically meant for home broadband use. I didn't realize that no longer was necessary. Thank you.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Feb-20 12:49:29
Print Post

It was Three that used to complain if you used a phone SIM in a data device such as a tablet, dongle or MiFi. The other networks didnít care as they sold an amount of data. Three was selling unlimited.

Ofcom stamped on this.

In 2019 the world changed again as all 4 main networks started selling unlimited data services on SIM only. The MVNOs also offer some good packages.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to