General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User brookheather
(member) Tue 04-Feb-20 18:25:47
Print Post

Re: Moving from FTTPoD to FTTP

[re: E300] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E300:
Oh just seen on my Inventory Report it says: Cerberus FTTP on Demand - Uncapped, 1 IP, 12 month contract. So I think it must be static then.

OK so you do have a static IPv4 address - maybe they changed the configuration sometime after my installation - mine states: Cerberus FTTP on Demand - Up to 300Mbps Downstream

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User rman
(learned) Thu 06-Feb-20 09:17:18
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

ah brookheather i remember us completing around the same time. I'd like to stay with Cerberus ideally but only if they can reasonably compete with BT prices. I believe they are around £30 more a month (cerberus).

A local Fibre provider have recently rolled out around my area (im sure they are only here because my install created the ducts to the village), so i have a choice of staying with Openreach fibre or moving to their own fibre.. they offer Gbit up & down for the same price as the FTTPoD.

I'll most likely stay with the Openreach line out of principle, no way am i risking loosing my slot on the line (the fibre line that terminates near my house only supports 4 connections!)
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Thu 06-Feb-20 13:07:53
Print Post

Same here. Some point within the next month or two I believe my FTTPoD contract is coming to the end of its minimum term. I'm hoping by then there's some sign of the new FTTP tiers that Openreach are releasing next month, as well as being reasonably priced. I don't expect super cheap pricing, but the current highest two tiers are way overpriced in my opinion.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rman
(learned) Thu 05-Mar-20 09:30:37
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Have any of you decided what you're going to do?

I've seen the wholesale prices for the higher openreach tiers, upload is still poor! 500/75.. 500/100 would of been better.

My contract ends this month, but the prices aren't released till March 25th. Going to have to make a quick decision!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 05-Mar-20 10:17:30
Print Post

[re: rman] [link to this post]

Why do you have to make a quick decision? Surely your service continues on a monthly contract at the end of the minimum term you signed up to?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 05-Mar-20 10:33:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by rman:
My contract ends this month, but the prices aren't released till March 25th. Going to have to make a quick decision!

Will Cerberus let you go onto monthly rolling? Although you don't want to be paying £100+VAT for 330/30 any longer than necessary, maybe one month of this is OK.

The issue really is if Cerberus buy through BT Wholesale (BT Enterprise), which I think they do. BTW have said they will charge £75+VAT at wholesale for 1000/115, compared to Openreach's price of £31.28 (standard) or £24.28 (special offer to 30/09/2022). This puts all retail ISPs who use BTW at a massive disadvantage.

To get the higher speeds at a sensible price, you'll either need to use a large ISP that has its own backhaul network and deals directly with Openreach, or use an ISP that uses Talktalk Wholesale (assuming they are giving a better price)
(member) Thu 05-Mar-20 11:52:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Why do you have to make a quick decision? Surely your service continues on a monthly contract at the end of the minimum term you signed up to?

No I have a 12 month contract that ends this month - if I don't sign up for a new contract then service is terminated. I've called some other suppliers and basically they can't place a new order until the current one terminates which means a gap of at least a day or two.

I asked Cerberus to move to a new 12 month contract for the 150/30 service but initially I was told they don't downgrade the service but have now agreed that I can move to 150/30 so that is what I will probably do.

Zen did agree to wave the £55 activation charge if I don't need the wireless router which makes their prices quite similar to staying with Cerberus.

Standard User Ixel
(committed) Thu 05-Mar-20 12:19:29
Print Post

I haven't decided yet, but after reading a post here that pretty much says you have to make a quick decision once the contract's minimum term is nearly up then I guess I'll go with 330/50. That's assuming there's no known pricing or a viable ISP who offers 550/75 at the very least not too far north of £100 per month by the time I have to make a decision.

In reply to a post by brookheather:
I asked Cerberus to move to a new 12 month contract for the 150/30 service but initially I was told they don't downgrade the service but have now agreed that I can move to 150/30 so that is what I will probably do.

Jees, no downgrade possible without haggling? That's a bit harsh of them.

Edited by Ixel (Thu 05-Mar-20 12:20:43)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 05-Mar-20 12:45:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by brookheather:
No I have a 12 month contract that ends this month - if I don't sign up for a new contract then service is terminated.

That's weird. My contract with Cerberus says something different:

5.1. Following Activation, the Service shall continue to be provided and invoiced for a period equal to the Minimum Term and then on an ongoing basis until the Service is terminated or migrated away. If the Customer cancels this Service during the Minimum Term they will be charged for the remainder of the Minimum Term at the point of cancellation.

5.2. Unless otherwise stated in writing, cancellation requires one calendar month’s prior written notice. In the case that the Customer stipulates an earlier date for cancellation, they will still be liable for charges for the Service up to the end of the Notice Period and Minimum Term, whichever is longer.
5.5. Termination notification by Cerberus to the Customer will be made in writing to the Customer.

This issue doesn't arise for me until end of August, and I plan to talk to Cerberus a couple of months before to check my options.
(member) Thu 05-Mar-20 14:45:20
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

So I have gone back again to Cerberus and they are now saying that my service will continue at same speed and price if I don't change to a new contract. So I could stay at 300/30 for £100+vat pm on a rolling 1 month but obviously it makes sense to move to a proper FTTP contract.

Edited by brookheather (Thu 05-Mar-20 14:46:35)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to