General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User oldskool
(member) Fri 07-Feb-20 18:06:07
Print Post

Sync speed in evening

[link to this post]

Hello

Had some electrical work done today, modem was shut down in the morning and left off until around 3pm. Was turned back on, but had to go off again for another hour.

Since putting it back on at around 5pm (it was dark by this point), the sync is now quite a bit lower. I lost around 4Mbps.

Is this more, less or typical for a dust/night time sync?

Reason I'm asking is I also moved the router downstairs to the BT master socket, but I've also replaced the faceplate with a filtered faceplate. Expecting better syncs on the master socket, and ended up with less! I want to try and rule out the faceplate, if this speed loss is to be expected due to the sync time.

If this is definitely a typical loss in sync due to dust/evening then fair enough. I always connect in the mid morning normally.

Thanks

Edited by oldskool (Fri 07-Feb-20 18:08:09)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Feb-20 20:25:41
Print Post

Re: Sync speed in evening

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

Is it not more likely that your shifting around of the router has caused this ?

How exactly was it all connected up and filtered, and how is this done now ?

Standard User oldskool
(member) Fri 07-Feb-20 20:56:40
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thats what I'm hoping is not the case.

Previously I had the BT master socket with an extension connected, going up to the room above, in the wall. The modem was connected to this socket on the extension with a filter.

Now I have disconnected the extension, swapped the master socket faceplate for a filtered faceplate which is connected direction to the master socket and no extension connected (don't need it) and the router plugs into the VDSL port of this faceplate at the master socket.

You would think the cleanest of signals.

Edited by oldskool (Fri 07-Feb-20 20:57:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Feb-20 21:39:59
Print Post

Yep, that *ought* to be a better set up, youíve ditched the bridge tap.

Is there clear dial tone on the new socket ?

Standard User oldskool
(member) Fri 07-Feb-20 21:54:53
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Crazy I know but I donít actually own a home phone to check this.

Iíve never had an unstable line in 7 years. The SNR margin only ever drops to 5.5 and fluctuates more in the evening. Morning is +/- 0.2 normally.

Appreciate that if I could check it I could more easily rule out some sort of fault on the faceplate.

Is it possible that my modem being off for around 9 hours has given a cleaner line to another modem and mine after reconnect has more noise or does it not work like that?

Edited by oldskool (Fri 07-Feb-20 21:56:40)

Standard User oldskool
(member) Mon 10-Feb-20 11:37:13
Print Post

Turns out that the VDSL filtered faceplate that I fitted (no wiring necessary) caused a 2Mbps drop vs the BT Socket (with modem filter) they use to fit 10-12 years ago!

I haven't bothered resyncing to see if I get the full 4Mbps back.

However I am having to use home plugs at the moment to connect up a more central wifi point, only temporary. It seems to be affecting things, although I'm still testing. Not quite sure how much it has affect the sync.
Standard User oldskool
(member) Mon 10-Feb-20 17:28:08
Print Post

Homeplugs are causing SNR fluctuations.

I assume when a modem syncs it takes a range from a few readings.

My sync shows 6.4 SNR Margin normally, which always puzzled me why it didn't lock to 6. If the above is true I understand why now, because:

With home plugs running SNR Margin will fluctuate anywhere from 4.9 (fairly rare) to 6.5. Common to bounce between 6.3 and 5.5.

Since removing all home plugs it now sits solidly at 6.4. Barely moves. Actually tends to go up not down.

Clearly not good for VDSL signals those homeplugs.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Feb-20 18:58:57
Print Post

Clearly not good for VDSL signals those homeplugs.

Ainít that a fact.

Glad you are getting towards sorting it all out though.

Print Thread

Jump to