General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Jul-20 10:49:47
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 6 *DELETED*

[re: jjrobb] [link to this post]

Post deleted by dect
Standard User brookheather
(member) Sun 05-Jul-20 10:52:48
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 6

BT don't do FTTPoD - you are basically stuck with Cerberus or one of the resellers so your monthly price will be £100+vat. You should try and strike an arrangement with your neighbours where they contribute to your build costs - they will then be able to take FTTP from any ISP including BT who are currently the cheapest. By the time your FTTP is built there should be other packages available from Sky, TalkTalk etc.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + UniFi nanoHD
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Jul-20 11:11:23
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

I posted something very similar and have now deleted it as to be eligible for a rural gigabit voucher you need at least 2 properties .

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jjrobb
(newbie) Sun 05-Jul-20 11:25:39
Print Post

Many thanks for the advice. Hopefully 2 or 3 of our properties would cover the build cost using the vouchers.

I thought I read somewhere that BT will do FTTPoD if you phone an order through - anyone done this?

Obviously another expense if we swap to Cerberus is breaking our current broadband contracts with BT.

Cerberus have been very efficient so far, so I would have no reservations about swapping to them for the installation and first year.

PS our phone line distance is about 1500m and runs in an underground duct the whole way from the cabinet, so hopefully the field survey estimate won’t be too far from the desktop quote.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Sun 05-Jul-20 11:37:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by jjrobb:
I thought I read somewhere that BT will do FTTPoD if you phone an order through - anyone done this?

BT (Business) used to sell FTTPoD but that was donkeys years ago, I think 5+ years ago. Its just the smaller CPs selling it these days, Cerberus,. Fluidone etc

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sun 05-Jul-20 12:01:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by brookheather:
BT don't do FTTPoD - you are basically stuck with Cerberus or one of the resellers so your monthly price will be £100+vat. You should try and strike an arrangement with your neighbours where they contribute to your build costs - they will then be able to take FTTP from any ISP including BT who are currently the cheapest. By the time your FTTP is built there should be other packages available from Sky, TalkTalk etc.

They'll be able to order if only they're served by the same CBT, which usually means the same pole or the same jointbox. If they are bit further along the road, then even if the fibre goes alongside their property they won't be able to order.

The way to resolve this is to submit linked orders - then the combined order will build *all* the CBTs required, and will be only marginally more expensive in total than the single order.

The downside is all properties will need to pay the £100+VAT rental for the first year - but as long as all properties get their own rural gigabit voucher, that should more than offset it. Given how much grief FTTPoD can cause the CP, I think they earn this money smile
Standard User idave
(newbie) Fri 10-Jul-20 16:56:29
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Hello all.

I am looking to move and buy a house in North London, Barnet area. Currently I live in a flat and I have Hyperoptic, plus I am a Network Engineer for a large corporation. So broadband quality is extremely important for me.

My question is: there are a few locations that I have looked at and have no Virgin Media, and for one specifically I have requested a FTTPoD desktop quote. But let's say it comes back reasonable (< £5000), how much of a risk it would be that the end cost ends up being much higher than the desktop quote (i.e. above 7-8000)?

Have people in this forum experienced anything like that?
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 10-Jul-20 18:39:13
Print Post

[re: idave] [link to this post]

All the FTTPoD final quotes that I've seen reported on the forum are tabulated here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QFkK1sLBFQjl...

If the broadband is that important you'll have to pay the £250+VAT to find out. However you can't actually find out without placing an FTTPoD order, and I'm not sure you'll be able to place an order when the property isn't yours. (Maybe you could if you got the existing owner's permission in writing)
Standard User MoM
(regular) Fri 10-Jul-20 18:53:14
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Theres some one on ISPr got a 1.1m quote
Standard User Highland76
(member) Fri 10-Jul-20 19:10:49
Print Post

[re: MoM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MoM:
Theres some one on ISPr got a 1.1m quote

Probably the residents of this place shocked

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to