General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User max1486
(newbie) Fri 10-Jul-20 21:02:11
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 6

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

If anyone wants to add my FTTPoD quote to that document, I received a quote of £80,000 for 8 premises in rural Scotland roughly 4 weeks ago, for obvious reasons I didn't get the mto follow up with an in real life quote.
Standard User ChemistDude
(newbie) Fri 10-Jul-20 21:56:57
Print Post

[re: max1486] [link to this post]

I live in a new build development (2018). My cul-de-sac has 6 house but it has a blocked paved road where as the rest of the 120 house development is tarmac. Please could anyone in the know advise how openreach would get the fiber to my house. Would they lift the block paving or install telegraph poles? If its telegraph poles, would I need permission from my neighbours?

Thanks in advance.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Jul-20 23:34:04
Print Post

[re: ChemistDude] [link to this post]

You're in a new build development.
The ducts your phone line comes in will be clear and it's an easy job to pull the fibre through.

No need to dig.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Sat 11-Jul-20 00:08:01
Print Post

If it's 2018 vintage then assuming Openreach are on the estate then there will be ducting underground to every property. Overhead is only for older properties (pre 1970) or very rural.

However there is a good chance any FTTPoD order would be rejected as you are likely to get native FTTP in the nearish future. Basically recently built estates without FTTP are low hanging fruit in terms of deployment of FTTP as they have ducting that is in relatively good shape. It's new so few if any blockages. As such they are getting upgraded to native FTTP as others will confirm, and if any native FTTP is in the pipeline Openreach won't take an order for FTTPoD.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sat 11-Jul-20 09:46:50
Print Post

[re: max1486] [link to this post]

The document is only for those who went to full survey, to compare what their final quote was to the original estimate.

The estimates by themselves aren't of much interest, especially when not linked to an actual address or postcode (and I don't want to collect or publish those).
Standard User Fastman3
(learned) Sat 11-Jul-20 14:39:54
Print Post

you should be trying to do something for the whole development especially if all copper and FTT on it

suggest checking on the Openreach fibre checker on Openreach.co.uk to see if there are any plans to do anything on it (if there is that will tell you if anything is in plan at current

or raise a community fibre partnership to get the estate covered with FTTP - depends where you are in country will depend f you any access to Gigabit vouchers or not
(newbie) Sat 11-Jul-20 23:46:22
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
You're in a new build development.
The ducts your phone line comes in will be clear and it's an easy job to pull the fibre through.

No need to dig.

Thank you j0hn83 smile
(newbie) Sat 11-Jul-20 23:50:14
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
If it's 2018 vintage then assuming Openreach are on the estate then there will be ducting underground to every property. Overhead is only for older properties (pre 1970) or very rural.

However there is a good chance any FTTPoD order would be rejected as you are likely to get native FTTP in the nearish future. Basically recently built estates without FTTP are low hanging fruit in terms of deployment of FTTP as they have ducting that is in relatively good shape. It's new so few if any blockages. As such they are getting upgraded to native FTTP as others will confirm, and if any native FTTP is in the pipeline Openreach won't take an order for FTTPoD.

Thank you jabuzzard. Unfortunately I did email openreach and they said they cannot see any plans in my area (Wakefield WF1) frown
In the meantime I have asked Cerberus networks for a desktop quote.
(newbie) Sat 11-Jul-20 23:55:09
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman3:
you should be trying to do something for the whole development especially if all copper and FTT on it

suggest checking on the Openreach fibre checker on Openreach.co.uk to see if there are any plans to do anything on it (if there is that will tell you if anything is in plan at current

or raise a community fibre partnership to get the estate covered with FTTP - depends where you are in country will depend f you any access to Gigabit vouchers or not

I would love to do that for my entire development in Wakefield (WF1). We have a development facebook group with 150+ members or so where I have asked everyone to express interest via the openreach and BT websites but no one seems to be interested in FTTPoD or Community Fibre Partnership.

I contacted open reach and they gave me this reply:
I have checked and I cannot see any plans in this area to supply Fibre to the Premise (FTTP) in your area. I can see you already have FTTC on your line so you could consider our Community Fibre Partnership scheme. We can’t always guarantee this will be feasible but we would be willing to look at it if you are interested. To find out more please visit our website

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/community-...

There is also the Gigabit Voucher Scheme (GB30) providing £100M worth of funding assistance to enable some areas with superfast connectivity. Provides £3,500 per small/medium business and £1,500 per residential address that could part or fully fund a CFP scheme.

https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/wp-content/upl...

https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/for-residents/...

I hope this information helps. As our investigations have now been concluded I will close this case. Please note any further correspondence to this case will not be seen by the team so should you have any further queries please raise a new enquiry.

I believe these gigabit schemes are either expired or unavailable to my area. Wonder if its worth pursuing a community partnership with just a couple of neighbours over FTTPoD? Would openreach contribute much that way?

Also how much credence do openreach give to expressions of interest via https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband ?

Cheers

Edited by ChemistDude (Sun 12-Jul-20 00:01:34)

Standard User simon194
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Jul-20 08:14:48
Print Post

I had a similar problem last year trying to drum up suppoprt for CFP on my developement but only 6 out of 60 were interested. It looks like most seem quite happy with the 20-30 Mbps they get.

Now that the area is part of the Openreach's FTTP rollout there is more interest. Guess it's a cost issue.
Pages in this thread: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to