General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 13-Jul-20 08:49:10
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 6

[re: ChemistDude] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ChemistDude:
Wonder if its worth pursuing a community partnership with just a couple of neighbours over FTTPoD? Would openreach contribute much that way?

With CFP, Openreach contribute "some of the costs".

With FTTPoD, the Openreach contribution is £700, plus £50 per "property passed" (i.e. made available for service as part of the build). These deductions will have already been made in the firm quote you receive.

With linked FTTPoD orders, you also have to remember that each user will be paying the FTTPoD service charge for the first year (for Cerberus: £100+VAT per month), after which they can switch supplier.

Any of your neighbours who don't join in, but are on the same CBT, will find native FTTP available immediately and can just order FTTP from any supplier at normal price. You have to think of this as a positive, i.e. your FTTPoD is benefitting your local community as a side-effect, at no extra cost to you. Otherwise you won't do it smile
Standard User Fastman3
(learned) Mon 13-Jul-20 12:50:57
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

candlerb

the fundamental point of the CFP is it make a contribution per premse so if you do a fod and you pick up 8 you get the figures as you state - if the whole developement say is 100X you get the openreach contribtun by the number of premises meaning that if you live in an estate CFP will 1005 always be the better ansnwer (as it will cover all of the development - or should do
Standard User ChemistDude
(newbie) Mon 13-Jul-20 23:01:51
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
I had a similar problem last year trying to drum up suppoprt for CFP on my developement but only 6 out of 60 were interested. It looks like most seem quite happy with the 20-30 Mbps they get.

Now that the area is part of the Openreach's FTTP rollout there is more interest. Guess it's a cost issue.

Thanks for your insights. It'll probably be the same for me, no one wants to pay if they don't have to I guess.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 13-Jul-20 23:04:32
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman3:
candlerb

the fundamental point of the CFP is it make a contribution per premse so if you do a fod and you pick up 8 you get the figures as you state - if the whole developement say is 100X you get the openreach contribtun by the number of premises meaning that if you live in an estate CFP will 1005 always be the better ansnwer (as it will cover all of the development - or should do

Thanks Fastman3. I discovered earlier today that 6 of 9 roads in my development has FTTP planned but the other 3 (of which I'm in) have no plans according to the openreach checker.

Have emailed Openreach and my query has been passed to the Infrastructure Solutions Executive Level Complaints Team. Will feedback on here and on kitz so others can benefit once I know more.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Sat 18-Jul-20 19:06:48
Print Post

[re: steveham] [link to this post]

Continuing on from my post in March. Our quote expired (exceeded the stipulated 27 days) while waiting on the rural gigabit broadband voucher to be approved (not sure why it took so long).

The RGBV has now been approved for the 2 business involved in our build and we have had another survey. Having to have another survey actually worked out well for us as we wanted to make some changes the the route the fibre was going to take from the previous survey (cutting down on the ducting required by approx 250m). This reduction in required duct is due to us incorporating older duct already in situ.

Openreach were out to resurvey on the 6th of July and sent costs off to the CP on the 9th. Amvia have yet to receive these new ECC's from the CP. Hoping this will happen this incoming week so we can get materials delivered from Openreach (duct and JF4 covers).

In the meantime we have built 2 of the 5 JF4's in anticipation and have began work on removing earth for the duct.

One had to be built around existing utility ducts, I am beginning to appreciate why the civil work associated with OD orders can cost so much lol
https://imgur.com/f7GlGcp
https://imgur.com/3aGc14t
https://imgur.com/7qZ4yvM
https://imgur.com/lYYHBO1

One of the other JF4's will be where the CBT is housed and is connected via two ducts to an adjacent JB23 BT box (this links into the existing duct system, it serves the 2 properties with original BT copper comms cable, as well as the rest of the properties on the farm for future FTTP native orders).
https://imgur.com/5oH9ui9
The concrete JF4's are actually a very good job, quick and easy to install!
https://imgur.com/rskzp7F
Standard User Nick_W789
(newbie) Sat 18-Jul-20 20:01:35
Print Post

[re: steveham] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by steveham:
One had to be built around existing utility ducts, I am beginning to appreciate why the civil work associated with OD orders can cost so much lol

When Openreach agreed your plans as part of the first quote, did they check the route and tell you about any utilities to avoid?
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Sat 18-Jul-20 20:55:02
Print Post

[re: Nick_W789] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nick_W789:
In reply to a post by steveham:

When Openreach agreed your plans as part of the first quote, did they check the route and tell you about any utilities to avoid?

At the survey stage all they did was make sure the existing BT ducts were clear and not blocked. The ducts should not have any other cables that aren't openreach/BT.

The location of utilities and what to avoid falls to us as it's on private property, Openreach didn't have on record the plans of the existing duct network they put in 30 plus years ago on the farm (maybe longer), which is why we avoided using it in our first survey. The time spent between the first and second survey was mapping out the existing openreach duct network and seeing its limitations and scope.

We or contracted builders put the other utility ducts in over the years (water, sewage, data/phone, oil, power etc to the various houses and outbuildings). So we have a rough idea of where things are (ideally now would be a good time to put their locations accurately on a map). It's really just a digger operator that knows what they're doing and someone on the ground to shout "STOP" when necessary lol.

Before the survey I came up with a map to show the surveyor our intended plans and to see whether he thought the route was workable. https://imgur.com/HoBBhNZ
(newbie) Thu 23-Jul-20 21:18:28
Print Post

[re: ChemistDude] [link to this post]

So it turns out the my street and 2 others are not part of the project that is providing FTTP to the rest of the 9 street development. Apparently there wasn't enough budget in the original project to cover all the premises in the area.

Now, the promising news is that as a result of me and a few others contacting them, they are going to undertake a review of the original project and see if they can add my street and another to the original plans. The Infrastructure Solutions Executive Level Complants chap I'm in contact with has been quite helpful actually. He can't make guarantees but reckons
getting my street added is likely to be successful. Find out more in 2 weeks once the review has been done.

As it happens, an Openreach subcontractor checked all the BT boxes/ducts last week and they're all clear so that should hopefully be a positive too.

Will keep you all posted.

Edited by ChemistDude (Thu 23-Jul-20 21:32:45)

Standard User thash1zn1t
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 09:24:13
Print Post

[re: thash1zn1t] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by thash1zn1t:
Thanks again for the information, I rang Cerberus today to ask about the Gigabit voucher but its only available to home users if two or more do a joint order.

I don't need a router as i already have one. I thought you needed to buy some kind of termination device/router for the fibre but they supply an ONT or something so i just need to have a router with ethernet for the service.

I am going to put the order in tomorrow and wait and see what costs they come back with. i will update you as and when that happens.

Thanks

So I got the confirmed FTTP on Demand build charge back yesterday....not the best news as the original desktop quote was £6,200+VAT and the actual confirmed build charge is £8,153+vat!

broken down as follows

This includes the reduction for the survey and a deduction of £1,300.00 for premises passed. A breakdown of the charges is below:

Labour
£5,138.00
Contract Labour
£0.00
Civils
£750.00
Stores
£3,320.00
BT Connection Charge
£495.00
Deduction
£-1,300.00
Field Survey charge paid
£-250.00
Total
£8,153.00

So i have just over 25 days to decide if this is an investment i want to make or do i go 4G and chance it. My gut says that 4G will not be stable enough (ping/latency) for the gaming but will provide the bandwidth for the homeworking.
I will update on my decision as and when i reach it wink
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 30-Jul-20 15:30:18
Print Post

[re: thash1zn1t] [link to this post]

That's unfortunate. I get the impression that OR are either trying to discourage FTTPoD as it takes resources from Fibre First, or they are padding the costs to cover unforeseen problems, or perhaps a bit of both.

The 'properties passed' deduction implies that 12 properties would be enabled for FTTP (12x50 + 700). If you're served by a pole it's probably all properties on the same pole. If you can split costs with one other, *and* both get the gigabit voucher, then it becomes a less expensive proposition.

You can also share costs with someone who's nearby but not one of those 12, by submitting a linked FTTPoD order. This will need a new survey, and both participants pay the high first year's rental, but you still benefit from the vouchers and cost sharing.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to