General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | [15] | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thash1zn1t
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 18:21:49
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 6

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Yes i think you may be right on the costs given that they will probably have more issues in rural areas. You are correct in that there are 12 other cables coming from the pole right outside my house.
I may well try and see if anyone is interested but my neighbour is defo not up for it and thought i was mental wink. He may well be right!
Thanks for the advice on the cost saving, will give it some thought and maybe target likely candidates.
I am now buried in reviews for 4G LTE cat 6 antenna/modems to see what a viable alternative may cost me and how stable the connections can be given the right mast selection, direction of antenna and band choice. 4G clearly cant be as stable as a fixed fibre connection but could it be a viable option. Specifically thinking latency and stability for gaming rather than bandwidth as i know i have good 4G on EE up here.
decisions decisions.....
Standard User UKconfederate
(learned) Fri 31-Jul-20 12:59:29
Print Post

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

I've just placed an order for FTTPoD, when I say order I've paid the initial £250+vat fee, hoping that the desktop quote was wildly over the top.

Anyway, does anyone know what happens now I've paid for the survey quote? Do I need to be available to see any engineers when doing their survey or is it just wait until the fixed quote is sent to me by Cerberus?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Jul-20 13:04:36
Print Post

[re: UKconfederate] [link to this post]

Most surveys are done from the street, only if you've got a long drive that needs measuring will they be in touch

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nick_W789
(learned) Fri 31-Jul-20 14:37:51
Print Post

[re: UKconfederate] [link to this post]

I've just had a survey for a 6 house linked FTTPoD. The engineer went to each house to survey and take photos of the intended location of the ONT and work out the internal fibre run - it took about 40 minutes in total. He then did his own thing down access chambers.
Standard User UKconfederate
(regular) Sat 01-Aug-20 08:48:12
Print Post

[re: Nick_W789] [link to this post]

Thank you both for replying, from your replies I suspect the engineer won't need to call at my house as it's next to the main road but time will tell.

I shall now just sit and wait to see what happens, Cerberus have updated my order and say the planned delivery date is the 12th Oct., so I have a little while to wait for my fixed quote.

Edited by UKconfederate (Sat 01-Aug-20 08:49:09)

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Aug-20 09:11:00
Print Post

[re: thash1zn1t] [link to this post]

Have you considered keeping the FTTC just for gaming and going 4G for everything else?

Standard User thash1zn1t
(newbie) Sat 01-Aug-20 09:39:26
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I hadn't thought of that purely because the FTTC upload is about 1mb and didn't think it would be good enough but i guess if it was only used for gaming that could work. Thanks for the tip.

I was wondering if i didn't go for the FTTPoD now would the build charge quote still be valid in a few months time or would i have to spend another £250+vat for another one at that point in the future?
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Sat 01-Aug-20 10:55:19
Print Post

[re: thash1zn1t] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by thash1zn1t:
I hadn't thought of that purely because the FTTC upload is about 1mb and didn't think it would be good enough but i guess if it was only used for gaming that could work. Thanks for the tip.

I was wondering if i didn't go for the FTTPoD now would the build charge quote still be valid in a few months time or would i have to spend another £250+vat for another one at that point in the future?

Once I had an FTTPoD "order" with confirmed build costs it had to be accepted (and paid for) within 28 days to be valid otherwise it expired. This was from Cerberus.
Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Sat 01-Aug-20 13:46:35
Print Post

[re: steveham] [link to this post]

think its the wrong question - think the shoudl be back to openreach if you done 6 of the 9 roads (what programme did you do that under why have you not done the other three roads and completed all the development
Standard User Whitehall11
(newbie) Sun 02-Aug-20 23:22:13
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

Hi all,

We are awaiting a survey from Openreach for a FTTPOD order.

They have currently built a new infill Cabinet about 100m from my house at the moment, fed from new ducts and OH Fibre on the telegraphs above, running to an Agg Node nearly 2km away.

From reading the messages here, is it likely OR will simply run a fiber cable alongside this from the Agg node and then install some more fibre for the final 100m stretch? (as this would be a new build)

Or to save money and time, use the new infrastructure installed for this new cabinet?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | [15] | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to