General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | [16] | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thash1zn1t
(newbie) Mon 03-Aug-20 08:31:07
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 6

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
In reply to a post by thash1zn1t:
I hadn't thought of that purely because the FTTC upload is about 1mb and didn't think it would be good enough but i guess if it was only used for gaming that could work. Thanks for the tip.

I was wondering if i didn't go for the FTTPoD now would the build charge quote still be valid in a few months time or would i have to spend another £250+vat for another one at that point in the future?

Once I had an FTTPoD "order" with confirmed build costs it had to be accepted (and paid for) within 28 days to be valid otherwise it expired. This was from Cerberus.

Yes and I guess if I did not order it now then they would treat a future request as completely new so it would be another desktop quote and then another £250+vat for a new survey. Has anyone on here been in that situation? Would they re-use the original survey or have to do a new one? The reason I am thinking this is that I may want try 4G with antenna to see if it would be fast enough/stable enough as a much cheaper alternative to 10 grand
Standard User kommando
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-20 13:55:06
Print Post

[re: thash1zn1t] [link to this post]

I went the 4G route 2 years ago, I have 2 4G routers feeding into a Draytek dual wan router, both 4g routers are in bridge mode. Each router is pointed at a different mast so if one goes down the Draytek automatically moves 100% on to the other. That has happened this morning, the Three mast is toast but still have 20mb download from the voda mast. When the Three mast comes back then it will be 80mb down 40mb up. Only ever had both masts down together once for 4 hours. Now I only have a 2 year wait for FTTP instead of FTTPOD over 4km.

I am lucky with Three and have never had the mast congestion issues endemic in their network, if I did then I would use EE on that router as its a shared mast.
Standard User pipcoo
(learned) Mon 03-Aug-20 14:35:30
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

Hi Kommando I`m interested in your set up as this sounds like it would be of benefit in my situation, I`d be grateful if you could give me more detail such as router model numbers and how it is all connected. Please PM me so as not to hijack the thread. Many thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kommando
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-20 14:55:38
Print Post

[re: pipcoo] [link to this post]

PM sent.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Mon 03-Aug-20 17:09:13
Print Post

[re: thash1zn1t] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
I hadn't thought of that purely because the FTTC upload is about 1mb and didn't think it would be good enough but i guess if it was only used for gaming that could work. Thanks for the tip.

I was wondering if i didn't go for the FTTPoD now would the build charge quote still be valid in a few months time or would i have to spend another £250+vat for another one at that point in the future?

Once I had an FTTPoD "order" with confirmed build costs it had to be accepted (and paid for) within 28 days to be valid otherwise it expired. This was from Cerberus.

Yes and I guess if I did not order it now then they would treat a future request as completely new so it would be another desktop quote and then another £250+vat for a new survey. Has anyone on here been in that situation? Would they re-use the original survey or have to do a new one? The reason I am thinking this is that I may want try 4G with antenna to see if it would be fast enough/stable enough as a much cheaper alternative to 10 grand

I can confirm that we had to get a resurvey after the 28 days were up. This was even though we had full intention of going ahead with the original order.

I think it's due to chance that prices fluctuate but can't be sure!

They may not have to come out to site, but will need to run the numbers again
Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-20 17:37:31
Print Post

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

whitehall

From reading the messages here, is it likely OR will simply run a fiber cable alongside this from the Agg node and then install some more fibre for the final 100m stretch? (as this would be a new build)

Or to save money and time, use the new infrastructure installed for this new cabinet?

100% the former

as they are two separate technologies

FTTC just can uses something called BFT (Blown fibre tubing)

FTTP has to get back to aggregation no9de and then a path back to headend

so there wll be a path from the termination point (CBT) then to splitter back to the aggregation node and then to headend
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 03-Aug-20 18:58:19
Print Post

[re: steveham] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by steveham:
I can confirm that we had to get a resurvey after the 28 days were up. This was even though we had full intention of going ahead with the original order.

Out of interest, was your second quote the same as the first, or higher or lower?
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Mon 03-Aug-20 19:15:46
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
In reply to a post by steveham:

Out of interest, was your second quote the same as the first, or higher or lower?

It's up in the air at the minute. Our surveyor came out on the 6th of July to resurvey, sent off their costs on the 9th to the CP, the surveyor couldn't tell me what the costs were because he has to send them up the chain and isn't actually sure if what I receive as estimated construction charges from the CP are the same as what he sends off.

Long story short, I emailed Amvia on the 20th of July to see if they had received the costs sent over to them on the 9th by the surveyor (I'm assuming Amvia are indeed the CP(?)). They replied to say they didn't have anything from openreach and it was still with the Openreach's planning team (very strange I thought).

I Left it at that and was going to chase the following week. Then, out of the blue, the surveyor text me on the 24th of July to say the cost had been accepted with zero additional costs (we had already paid Amvia the amount on the first quote).

I still to this day have not heard from Amvia to let me know that the order went through and is going ahead and whether we are due a partial refund (due to needing less duct for the project) or the costs are remaining the same.

The 450m of duct, bends and junction box covers arrived via lorry today and KN networks (working on behalf of Openreach) were out to look at the JF4 they have to build beside our field on the roadside, they are due to complete it within the next week. So things are progressing quite rapidly without Amvia it seems lol
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Mon 03-Aug-20 19:23:20
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

I'm not sure FTTC and FTTP at the fibre level are two separate technologies, I reckon FTTP uses a lot of blown fibre tubing and an FTTC cabinet has to connect to an aggregation node to get back to the head end. Typically in more rural areas Openreach are now installing subtended head end (SHE) FTTP where a local FTTC cab uses 4 extra fibres from the exchange with additional hardware installed (OLT/PON cards) to become the head end for up to 1024 FTTP premises. See this thread on Kitz

Kitz_link

It is a bit of a rambling thread but SHE is mentioned.

However if FTTPoD is in play you can guarantee Openreach will quote for a new fibre from the agg node and want many thousands of £.frown
Standard User Whitehall11
(newbie) Tue 04-Aug-20 09:18:39
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

This is really interesting but exactly what i feared. I kind of hoped that if they'd already dragged fibre 2000m from the AG Node to my new cabinet, i'd be able to jump on this, since it goes through several joints!
Pages in this thread: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | [16] | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to