General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 02-Mar-20 12:06:23
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 6

[re: adfinlay] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adfinlay:
That nearly seems like what they are using. After my initial £39,000 desktop quote my new one just arrived at £13,100...quite the difference.

This one also states: "Openreach estimate that the distance to the fibre aggregation node serving your premises is 0 - 199m.", would I be silly to hope that this short distance would mean my final quote could be much less?

It does seem a lot. However, the line-of-sight distance may be 200m, but the route on the ground could easily be twice as long, and it depends what already exists along that route.

My original quote was £13,700, which was one of the very early ones. This reduced to £6,600 on survey, and it included 34m of new ducting (in a quiet lane). The rest was supposed to be existing ducts. In the end, one of the main ducts was full, and they had to dig a further 164m of new duct... that would have been very expensive for them.

It's possible that in the light of nearly 2 years of experience, their desktop quotes are coming in closer to the actual costings, and/or the costings from survey have gone up to be more realistic. Few people have reported their findings here recently, but in the latest one (Jan 2020) the price actually went up from £6,800 to £8,640.

You have to take a gamble. What's the maximum you would be prepared to pay for the installation? If you are prepared to pay, say, £8K(+VAT) up front for the installation, plus £100+VAT per month for the first year, then you can probably afford to gamble £250+VAT on the survey.

It would hurt if the final quote came out too high and you had to abandon the order, but it's only equivalent to the first two and a half months of line rental.
Standard User LordVader
(member) Mon 02-Mar-20 14:01:59
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Yep it was mine that came back more than the desktop quote.

Frustrating thing is houses on the same estate, built by the same developer and less than a couple hundred yards away all have FTTP 😔.

I was sure my survey quote would come back lower then the desktop (£6,800+vat). Even the engineer that came out said it should be a easy install due to being new builds.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Tue 03-Mar-20 10:43:09
Print Post

[re: steveham] [link to this post]

Build quote arrived this morning following on site survey the other week. Happy things are finally moving.

Labour - £4,355.64
Stores - £3,801.54
Contract Labour - £1,676.64
Civils - £1,856.12
Civils Stores - £0
Tree Cutting- £0
Connection Charge - £990.00
Total Charges (excl. VAT) - £12,679.94

PP Deduction £ (1,800.00)
Survey Fee £ (250.00)

Total Charges Payable (excl. VAT) - £10,629.94
Gigabit Voucher - £(2,500.00)
Total Charges Payable (less Gb Voucher) - £8,129.94

Amvia have also been in contact and confirmed a second voucher can be applied for, for the other business property linked to my order. This brings the total build cost to £5,629.94

Will have a think over the next week or so whether this is viable financially

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 03-Mar-20 10:56:04
Print Post

At least it's a lot better than the £45,000 desktop quote smile

PP discount of £1,800 is interesting. If the two properties are on separate PONs (£700 each) then it means 8 additional properties will be passed (£50 each). If the two properties are on the same PON then 22 additional properties will be passed.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Tue 03-Mar-20 11:10:14
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
At least it's a lot better than the £45,000 desktop quote smile

PP discount of £1,800 is interesting. If the two properties are on separate PONs (£700 each) then it means 8 additional properties will be passed (£50 each). If the two properties are on the same PON then 22 additional properties will be passed.

Not completely sure. Here is a rough map of the plan https://ibb.co/LNxtk0r , on the farm there are a total of 8 properties (2 business addresses and 6 residential). The 6 remaining FTTC properties could presumably tap into the new optical network once it becomes native?
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 03-Mar-20 11:25:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by steveham:
Not completely sure. Here is a rough map of the plan https://ibb.co/LNxtk0r , on the farm there are a total of 8 properties (2 business addresses and 6 residential). The 6 remaining FTTC properties could presumably tap into the new optical network once it becomes native?

Yes, if they are within sensible range of the "8-port CBT" (connectorised block terminal) which is where the final drop to each property will connect.

The diagram shows a single splitter, but they have given you the benefit of 2 x £700 PON discounts which is good.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 04-Mar-20 15:53:08
Print Post

Are you laying the 720m of ducting and installing the 5 Joint boxes?
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Wed 04-Mar-20 15:58:15
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Are you laying the 720m of ducting and installing the 5 Joint boxes?

Yes, we'll be laying the 720m of duct and 5 JF4 boxes.

Not sure if I can avail of some of the £4,000 labour costs from OR's quote lol!
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 04-Mar-20 16:06:06
Print Post

Highly recommend hiring in a Ditch Witch C24X rather than using a digger (even if you already have one) as its a lot easier and quicker. I did just over 350m in a few hours last year.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Wed 04-Mar-20 16:50:53
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Highly recommend hiring in a Ditch Witch C24X rather than using a digger (even if you already have one) as its a lot easier and quicker. I did just over 350m in a few hours last year.

That looks like it would make light work of it actually, we do have a digger and was dreading the mess it would make!

What depth were you able to get it to? I see it could potentially go down to ~900mm (just thinking of the plough possibly severing the fibre in the future).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to