General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Tue 10-Mar-20 22:36:41
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 6

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

Iím not 100% sure in all honestly, as my order will be classed as residential order rather than a business line.

OpenReach have also said the following directly:

Thanks for getting in touch with us about fibre broadband availability in your area.

I've looked into your query and can see that the cabinet that you're connected to hasn't yet been upgraded for fibre broadband.

The good news is that your postcode is in our plans to install our Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) technology in this area. This is a complex technology for us to install, but it delivers ultrafast speeds.

If all goes according to the plan and we don't come across any unexpected surprises, we hope to complete the work and start taking orders by December 2020. But I should add that this is likely to change if we come across any issues along the planned cable route.

Iím really not sure which way to go at the moment but itís hugely effecting me working from home as my currently FTTC continues to drop in sync speed every other week.
Standard User brookheather
(member) Tue 10-Mar-20 22:40:30
Print Post

[re: RSR1] [link to this post]

If there are plans for FTTP then OR won't proceed with an FTTPoD order anyway.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Mar-20 06:13:35
Print Post

If your cabinet isnít set up for FTTC, how come you got a desktop survey ???

I believed you had to be connected to an FTTC cab to get a quote .

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Wed 11-Mar-20 07:24:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I am connected to a FTTC / G.Fast pod but my local aggregation node is a bit further back.

Whatís making this even more frustrating is I am 350/400m (15.5db to 15.8db line attenuation)from my FTTC cabinet but I am only syncing at currently 36Mb. This has fallen from 80Mb since October, Iíve had 9 Openreach engineers out who say there is nothing wrong with the line each time and close the case down. The BT hand back range for the line is 58Mb but seemly thatís means nothing.

Zen have been unable to fix the line, so have provided a full refund and I have moved it to AA ISP as I understand they are good with OpenReach.

So I am really unsure which option to choose at the mo.

TT business leased line 300/300 376 +VAT
TT Business leased line 100/100 307 +VAT
FTTPoD - £10800~ install + 100 +VAT
Wait till December to see if I can order FTTP

If my FTTC was stable Iíd wait but itís not hence unsure on how to proceed.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Wed 11-Mar-20 07:26:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Duff information from OR, RSR1 has 80/20 FTTC as stated in this post rsr1

So in view of OR saying that FTTC is not available when it obviously is and at full speed, ( or was originally) I am not sure if I would believe that OR are about to install native FTTP, something fishy going on.smile

Edited by Realalemadrid (Wed 11-Mar-20 07:28:09)

Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Mar-20 07:33:51
Print Post

100/100 leased line doesn't seem too bad but how long is the contract, 36 months?

Vodafone FTTH - 500/500
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 11-Mar-20 08:13:27
Print Post

Might be worth trying your address in the Fibre First checker - although I expect all it will tell you is that you have FTTC.

The advantage of the leased line is it will be installed quickly - perhaps in 3 or 4 months - whereas FTTPoD sometimes takes 12-18 months. And it *will* give you better service in the short term, especially if you're hammering the 100M uplink.

The advantage of FTTP is that after 12 months, you have native FTTP at FTTP prices. The leased line price probably won't go down if you keep it going after 3 years, even though in effect you've paid off the build cost over 3 years.

Your 3 year cost (assuming you stick with Cerberus 330/50 after 1 year):
FTTPoD: 9066 + 100*12 + 71.50*24 = 11982
100/100 LL: 307*36 = 11052
But after that the FTTP is 235.50 per month cheaper, so 3 more months and you've broken even.

That's worst case. I also expect that by then FTTP will be cheaper and/or faster, with big players like Sky and Talktalk selling Openreach FTTP. And of course, you're only tied into a 1 year contract.

You can let AASIP have a go for six months and see if they can fix it back to 80/20. You can be pretty sure that your leased line quote isn't going to get more expensive over that time, and you might find out you're getting native FTTP. But you'll lose your £250 survey fee.

Regarding residential or business, it doesn't matter if your building is classed as residential as long as you have evidence you are "trading from" that address. Section 3.3 of T&Cs:

If required to do so you must provide evidence of your status as a SME or sole trader.
Documentation we will accept includes: VAT registration; Charity Registration: HMRC
notification; sole trader UTR number; certification of incorporation (limited companies);
business bank account statement issued within the last three months; non-domestic rates
reference. Other documentation, such as business-related utility bills, may be acceptable in
certain circumstances if combined with other documentation.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 11-Mar-20 12:06:53
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

One other thing: your discount suggests that 3 of your neighbours would be gain FTTP availability as part of the build. You can ask for confirmation of the specific addresses, although you can probably make a good guess yourself.

If they're interested, you can either share the build costs informally, or submit linked orders - although in the latter case I believe the other party will also be on an expensive £100+VAT contract for the first 12 months.
Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Wed 11-Mar-20 20:59:39
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

The Fiber First just says the following:

Faster and more reliable fibre is coming to your area soon. Full Fibre is our fastest technology, but your exact speed will depend on which broadband provider and package you choose. Sign up for news and updates.

I'm not to fussed about loosing the site survey as in the grand scheme of things its not lot of money compared to the total costs of making the wrong choice.

I guess my options at the moment are:

AA ISP - T-Shoot FTTC - £45 P/M & Maybe a fresh phoneline install.
FTTPoD - £10800~ + £120 P/M - 330/30 - So total cost over 36 months is £15,120
TTB LL - £450~ P/M - 300/300 - So the total cost would be £16200
TTB LL - £370~ P/M - 100/100 - So the total cost would be £13320

TTB has said the install should be straight forward as long as there is no wayleave, so it should be anything from 60-75 days.

I can also wait 8 months to see where Openreach are with this FTTP install but could be useful with the new FTTP higher tiers and the add upload bandwidth which is really helpful for work.

I wouldn't classify for tradeing from as I am perminate employee rather than a contractor, I did used to have my own company for contracting but that was closed down when I moved to a perminate role.

Yes, I have 3 other properies I can share the order with but I am not 100% sure they would opt for it due to the overall costs but I will ask at the weekend.

So I have quiet a bit to think about over the weekend, along with some man maths.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Mar-20 21:12:07
Print Post

Have you considered taking a second line, and bonding the connections - AA ISP can do this, might give you the speed boost you need.

Edited by R0NSKI (Wed 11-Mar-20 21:12:35)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to