General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shortshrift27
(newbie) Mon 18-May-20 21:38:12
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 6

[re: RSR1] [link to this post]

(1) "We are very happy to let you know that we've recently announced plans to start upgrading the network in Chelmsford, and our initial planning work will include your street."

(2) "I've looked into your query and can see that the cabinet that you're connected to hasn't yet been upgraded for FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) broadband. And I'm afraid at the moment we don't have any plans to upgrade it."

smile

I would feel a bit nervous about an expensive FTTPoD build with such apparently contradictory statements floating around. Could (2) be based simply on stale information? Though hopefully this would emerge during the survey. (For which you'd have to pay again, I presume...) Anyways, the *cabinet* wouldn't normally require upgrading, as the connection happens at the agg node, no? But this could just be careless wording.
Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Mon 18-May-20 21:58:39
Print Post

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shortshrift27:
I would feel a bit nervous about an expensive FTTPoD build with such apparently contradictory statements floating around. Could (2) be based simply on stale information? Though hopefully this would emerge during the survey. (For which you'd have to pay again, I presume...) Anyways, the *cabinet* wouldn't normally require upgrading, as the connection happens at the agg node, no? But this could just be careless wording.

Correct, it would be another £300.00 for a site survey.

I didn't mind waiting but now its unknown I am not sure what to do, I'll happily pay for it to be install but not if they are building into the area soon. I have gone back to BT with all the information I have and asked them to confirm it.

Also does any one else have any good contacts at BT I can find some more stable information for?

I have been thinking about raising the issue with the local MP.

Edited by RSR1 (Mon 18-May-20 22:04:55)

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Tue 19-May-20 10:14:12
Print Post

[re: RSR1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RSR1:
I have been thinking about raising the issue with the local MP.

You will get a more positive result raising the issue with your local MP and letting him do the leg work.

I got ours's involved and the ball started rolling but that was 3 years ago. frown

At least we had a positive answer. wink

BTBroadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 27-May-20 16:39:21
Print Post

I've hit an unexpected snag with my FTTPoD order. The quote came in at the beginning of May. I am keen to proceed. The OR surveyor put in the paperwork a request for 2 quotes: (1) OR to build end to end; (2) customer to complete the section on their property. OR came back with only one number, with no further context.

So... my provider asked them whether this was the quote for OR to build end to end or for customer completion.

That was two and a half weeks ago. Just a simple yes/no enquiry regarding the quote they'd already generated.

We've heard nothing, and the quote times out next week.

I have no contacts at OR, and my provider says they have followed up without response. Is the build actually about to collapse over something so daft?
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-May-20 17:05:40
Print Post

The question you should ask yourself is, would I be prepared to pay £9,032 + VAT and provide the labour to do the work over your land? If yes then proceed

Edited by dect (Wed 27-May-20 17:35:14)

(newbie) Wed 27-May-20 17:35:48
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
The question you should ask yourself is, would I be prepared to pay £9,032 + VAT and provider the labour to do the work over your land? If yes then proceed

I've wondered this, but you can appreciate my reluctance to put £10k down simply not knowing whether I might be liable for another £3k (?) on top.

Also, if OR are prepared to let their own quote time out over the course of weeks rather than respond to a yes/no question, the answer to which they have at their fingertips, then what can I expect if the build hits a genuine problem with permissions or such like? At that point they'll have my money, and will they still be so utterly uninterested? I wasn't expecting FTTPoD to be a quick process at all - I've read the stories - but...
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-May-20 17:40:03
Print Post

How much work is required across your land?

Openreach normally provide the materials (e.g. ducting) so it just comes down to labour and any mechanical aids you might need to achieve the work.
Standard User isar
(newbie) Mon 01-Jun-20 14:23:28
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

my fibre on demand story with Cerberus

exchange = Whitchurch race to infinity winers

21/06/2019 - Paid for survey

27/08/2019 - Confirmed FTTP on Demand Build cost
Labour £5,245.36
Contract Labour £0.00
Civils £750.00
Stores £3,690.30
BT Connection Charge £495.00
Deduction £-1,050.00
Field Survey charge paid £-250.00
Total £8,881.00
7 Premises passed. Deductions of £50 per premises and £700.00 per FTTPoD order
Confirmed Build Charge ex VAT £8,881.00
Confirmed Build Charge inc VAT £10,657.20
Voucher £2,500.00
Amount Due £8,157.20
(of which VAT) £1,776.20

08/09/2019 Paid Above

21/11/2019 Current Status: Provisional traffic notice submitted for road closure with a start date of 17/02/20. Onsite between 21:00 to 06:00 for 3 nights

16/12/2019 – over head fibre added from pole opposite house on the far side of road to pole 20 yards down from house on the near side of the road with coils left on both poles

17/02/2020 openreach on site for 3 nights (coils on poles remain untouched)

21/02/2020 I asked if had been any problems

26/02/2020 Current Status: Cabling completed 26/02/20. Jointing now required

28/20/2020 more overhead fibre added now from pole 30 yards up from house on near side of the road to pole 20 yards down from house on the near side of the road and also an 8 port fibre manifold added

09/03/2020 update - Current Status: Jointers have found a blockage between a pole and a cable chamber box very close to your premises

30/03/2020 update – blockage cleared

03/04/2020 update - I have received confirmation that the jointing work has now been completed

13/05/2020 Openreach engineer on site for final audit – he was very confused that the fibre installed on the 16/12/2019 was still in coils of both poles but the fibre is active

15/05/2020 2 Openreach engineers on site removing unused fibre

18/05/2020 BT checker shows FTTP as available

26/05/2020 call from Openreach with install date of 08/06/2020

Edited by isar (Mon 01-Jun-20 14:24:24)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jun-20 14:40:53
Print Post

[re: isar] [link to this post]

There’s lots of native FTTP in Whitchurch, there has been for a good few years, are you right out in the sticks ?

Standard User isar
(newbie) Mon 01-Jun-20 14:52:45
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

no I am only about 1200m from town centre on the east side of town, most of the native FTTP is the town centre and to the west
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to