General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User darren_mccoy
(learned) Wed 12-Feb-20 11:00:48
Print Post

FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 6

[link to this post]

After six months I'm happy to say my FTTPoD install is complete. I am very happy with the speed as shown below.

Speed test result
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-20 11:44:08
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 6

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

Not a very good ping thought 21ms for FTTP.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 12-Feb-20 11:52:13
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:

Utter nonsense again.

Do you know where in the country he is? Ping increases as distance increases.
For Northern Ireland or Northern Scotland that's a great ping. For Inner London it's very poor.
The fact it's FTTP doesn't mean it will break the laws of physics and everyone will have 2ms ping times.

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 12-Feb-20 11:52:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Wed 12-Feb-20 11:55:19
Print Post

Darren is in Northern Ireland. Light can only travel so fast and takes a little while to get from there to London and back.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 12-Feb-20 12:12:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by darren_mccoy:
After six months I'm happy to say my FTTPoD install is complete. I am very happy with the speed as shown below.

Congratulations!
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Wed 12-Feb-20 12:30:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by darren_mccoy:

Speed test result

BINGO.

Congrats Darren, enjoy superfast. laugh

BTBroadband
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Wed 12-Feb-20 12:40:08
Print Post

To parahase Montgomery Scott ďYou cannae change the laws of physics!Ē

Repeat after me, bandwidth is not the same as latency. Latency depends on round trip time and is limited by the speed of light, as transluminal communications are impossible under General Relativity. Consequently ping times depend on where you are physically located.

My 10Gbps work connection has ping times of 10ms to London from the central belt of Scotland, and I don't have to transit via an ISP, being JANET it's single hop via Manchester. It's another 4ms north to Aberdeen. Most of the University of the Highlands and Islands seems to be on AWS for their website and Office365 for email, so no easy way to check further north

My home connection also in the central belt which has to transit via an ISP exit point is 19ms, the fact it is FTTC rather than FTTP is irrelevant, it was the same when it was ADSL.

I am wont to say typical bl$%dy southerner who thinks the world ends at the Watford gap.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 12-Feb-20 12:43:30
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

adslmax is rather a long way north of Watford Gap.

Approximately 52.6784° N v 52.3069° N

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 12-Feb-20 12:57:55)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 12-Feb-20 12:57:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
I am wont to say typical bl$%dy southerner who thinks the world ends at the Watford gap.

Watford Gap - that is the far and frozen unclivilised north. The border is at Watford which is way further south. Civilised society restarts when you go past Aberdeen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Feb-20 15:30:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Just go to Findhorn bay, walking on that beach in the summer. Glorious. smile

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 12-Feb-20 15:39:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Spent time working at KInloss back in the mid-80s and at lunch time woukld drive to Findhorn ... There were salmon nets on the estuary - all gone now. Still get back to see friends in Cullen and Buckie.

M H C

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Feb-20 19:14:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
Spent time working at KInloss back in the mid-80s and at lunch time woukld drive to Findhorn ... There were salmon nets on the estuary - all gone now. Still get back to see friends in Cullen and Buckie.

I've not been up that way for a few years now sadly. The people I knew up there have moved elsewhere in the UK. smile

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Jay_Jay
(committed) Wed 12-Feb-20 21:28:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
Still get back to see friends in Cullen

Home to the original Cullen Skink!! Superb!!

A couple of week ago I got up as far as Stonehaven (for their Burns Night as they are the "Fatherland" Club) & I made sure that I had Cullen Skink on one night!!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 12-Feb-20 22:08:28
Print Post

[re: Jay_Jay] [link to this post]

I hada friend who came from Findochty - try pronouncing that correctly, which is next to Buckie and he worked on trawlers asa deck hand/cook. He made wonderful Skink with a "secret ingredient" - Carnation evaporated milk. And when made with fresh fish his was wonderful.

M H C

Standard User Jay_Jay
(committed) Wed 12-Feb-20 23:04:54
Print Post

First time I ever had Cullen Skink was many years ago, when I was staying in the Tufted Duck Hotel, St Combs (just below Fraserburgh).

tbh, I'm not a normally Fish-Eater normally (perhaps the bog-std Fish & Chips, but never much else) & someone tried to persuade me to try the "Skink". I trust you will agree, the name "Skink" doesn't necessarily sound appertising but, eventually, I was persuaded to try it.

After that, I was "hooked" (pun intended)!

I would very rarely try it South of the Border, but it is a pre-requisite if I get to that part of Scotland!!!
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Thu 13-Feb-20 10:23:59
Print Post

This made me chuckle. Thank you smile

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User adfinlay
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-20 10:41:15
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

I originally got an estimate from FluidOne a couple of years ago before the pricing structure for FTTPoD changed and was told that I was in band A and construction costs would be around £1100 if I remember correctly. I had a desktop quote from Cerberus around a year ago that came out at £39,000!

Is it more likely that one of them messed up or that Cerberus are just pricing themselves out of the work as they donít want to do it? I would have thought that the desktop quotes use accurate info from OR so Iím not sure how there is such a large difference. Iím going to request another desktop survey from Cerberus anyway to see if itís changed but I was curious as to what the experience here thought.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Feb-20 12:57:45
Print Post

[re: adfinlay] [link to this post]

As you say, the pricing structure changed. It was purely based on difference whereas now it is based on the actual works required. However, if you paid for a full survey then you might find the price could come down - it's a gamble of £250 to find out.
Standard User bedrock
(member) Thu 13-Feb-20 13:24:21
Print Post

I had a desktop quote from Cerberus in March 2018 and I was also in the £39K gang. 6 months after that quote native WBC FTTP was installed by Openreach. laugh

BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Feb-20 13:40:30
Print Post

Cerberus aren't pricing themselves out of anything. The quotes come from OpenReach.
The build fee goes to OpenReach.

Wether your desktop quote is £4k or £40k it would make no sense for Cerberus to try manipulate that price as every penny of it ends up in OpenReach pockets.

Is it more likely that one of them messed up or that Cerberus are just pricing themselves out of the work as they donít want to do it?

Cerberus don't do the work though...
They make no money from rejecting orders. That's not how to run a business.

The reason your price went from £1100 to £39000 is that OpenReach had a crazy pricing structure before based solely on distance.
They had the sense to amend that.

Your line could be DIG (direct in ground) with no ducting what so ever.
Under the old pricing it was fixed pricing no matter the layout of the local network.

Now OpenReach actually take in to account what works are involved and that it costs about £112 per meter to dig up a carriageway.
A couple hundred metres of that and your quote is sky high.

The desktop quotes are based on (often poor, incomplete or outdated) OpenReach records.
Only way to know for sure is to pay the survey fee.

Very few quotes now come in under £8k.
There was a few after the pricing changed but they all seem to have over £5k in Labour costs and a few £k in stores/civil stores now.

To add, in many cases the £39k was basically "we don't have a clue what work is involved so will throw you our maximum quote".

They stopped all the £39k quotes and now return with a message saying unable to quote, survey required.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 13-Feb-20 13:43:53)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 13-Feb-20 14:20:54
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

You can always use this online quote generator for FTTPoD smile
(learned) Fri 14-Feb-20 13:20:51
Print Post

Just in case anyone is interested, here's a timeline of my FTTPoD install.

I payed for the full desktop survey on the 9/6/2019.

The survey took place on the 27/7/2019.

I got the final build price on 13/9/2019.

New telephone poles were erected on the 1/10/2019.

Fibre was on the poles on the 6/11/2019.

The fibre was all the way up to my house on 13/112019.

Then nothing happened for two and a half months. I got angry and started complaining, about the middle of January and everything was finished last Tuesday. It just goes to show than having a whine does seem to get things moving. All the best to anyone else who's still waiting, I'm glad to have finally joined the fibre club.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Wed 26-Feb-20 19:27:59
Print Post

Since placing my order 07/02, I am still awaiting my site survey to take place.

Cerberus have been pretty good with the updates so far but the wait is with BT as normal.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Wed 26-Feb-20 20:50:29
Print Post

I had originally posted in Part 5 back in August (time flies!!!) about starting the journey to FTTPoD in Northern Ireland.

My timeline thus far...

04/08/2019 - Contacted Amvia about raising an order for FTTPoD

05/08/2019 - Received a prompt response, they also mentioned we could avail of the government gigabit voucher scheme (up to £2,500) for businesses, this voucher could also be combined with other business premises close by. So, I got to work contacting other interested parties.

07/08/2019 - Unable to receive a desktop quote from Amvia due to location (I had also contacted FluidOne prior to Amvia, there desktop quote equated to £45,000 and were pushing a leased line option, so they were swiftly put to one side).

07/08/2019 - I raised a linked order, it involves 2 separate businesses close by each other. A good opportunity to avail of up to £5,000 towards the install costs. To get the ball rolling we paid £300 to get an onsite survey to better understand how much it would all cost and how viable it was.

14/08/2019 - Started to receive weekly messages that were semi generic, explaining that they were pushing the carrier for a survey date and explained there was a back log. This same email came weekly until 16/10/2019

16/10/2019 - Received notification that an Openreach planner had a slot available for 21/10/19 and ask if this suited. I accepted.

21/10/2019 - Met the surveyor at 9am, friendly chap who went over the process and what he needed from me. He was very accommodating and was happy to take on board that we were keen to be involved as much as possible to reduce over heads and keep things moving.
He also was able to give me detail on where my closest NGA node was. Thankfully this was relatively close. It is at the edge of our farm property, a lot of ducting will be required to get it to our premise, but literally only 15 meters of ducting is needed to get it to our boundary before we take it the rest of the way.

One worrying thing I got from the surveyor was that the order that came through on his end only included our property, not the other property we were wanting to link up with. He said he would take note of it and that I should follow up with Amvia.

Later on the 21st I sent and email to Amvia saying the surveyor had been there but only one property was on the surveyors order sheet to be surveyed.

22/10/2019 - Amvia responded to say they would investigate this with the carrier and confirm the order type.

the wait would now begin....

30/10/2019 - The now updated weekly generic mails began again saying results to the survey were expected in 10-18 working days.

I followed up asking whether there was any news back on the additional property. I was advised it was still being investigated.

20/12/2019 - Slight change to the weekly update email, it states "It has been noted that as this is a linked order, our Wholesale Account Manager is still going over a few points with Openreach which need to be clarified before the results can be issued.

Please note however that we will continue to press both the Carrier as well as the Operator regularly on a daily basis for this sought information to be given and you will be contacted immediately once the official results of your site survey have been received. "

The wait continues..

03/01/2020 - An email explaining there was an 'Operator Christmas freeze period' hat just ended and I should expect to receive a more detailed report on my survey within 3-5 days. Happy days I thought!

10/01/2020 - Received an update "Unfortunately, Openreach generated the ECCís as a Singleton order which was incorrect.
This has been raised with them and they are currently liaising with the ECCís department within Openreach to provide the correct format as soon as possible.
A soon as we have the correct ECCís we will forward these onto you.
Next report due in 5-7 working days."

Unsure as to what that all means, but is kinda what I had thought had happened on the day of the original survey.

I queried Amvia, requesting I got the results of the singleton order, as I was curious as to what the costings were. I don't think they'd increase much with the additional property included and would give me an idea as to how viable this all was.

Amvia replied to advise me that they were not forwarded the costs of the singleton order (I thought this was strange).

16/01/2020 - Weekly update emails began again, they were as follows:
"This is just to advise that we are still pushing for the correct results to be issued.

The moment we receive this information you will be notified immediately."

13/02/2020 - I was advised that a surveyor would attend on the 21/02/2020 to survey both properties.

(Something I thought was going to have to take place after speaking to the first surveyor).

21/02/2020 - Different surveyor attended. Just as friendly and easy to talk to. He was again happy to take into account that we would do as much as possible to reduce overheads and external contractors.
He surveyed both properties and was at a loss to understand (like me) why communication between all parties involved is so poor.
But more than happy we can (hopefully) move onto the next stage.
I am under the impression the order was rejected by the CP, I believe the CP is Amvia (but could be wrong), I'd be interested to know why they couldn't tell me they were the ones that rejected the original costings.

26/02/2020 - I got an email from the surveyor with some maps to help me plan the logistics of ducting and chamber boxes in anticipation of the order going forward.

Results and costings of survey have been sent to whoever is next in the chain. So I can only hope everything is in order.

I'm still not convinced it's a linked order so I don't know if we will be able to get the additional £2,500. He did say it had come in as a new order and he was aware of 2 properties needing surveyed, however there was still only one address on the order sheet, not two.

The wait continues.......

Edited by steveham (Wed 26-Feb-20 22:24:46)

Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-20 19:24:08
Print Post

[re: RSR1] [link to this post]

Following on from my post yesterday, OpenReach phoned today and the site survey has all been looked for next week.

Oddly OpenReach also emailed me today with the following update:

Thanks for getting in touch with us about fibre broadband availability in your area.
I've looked into your query and can see that the cabinet that you're connected to hasn't yet been upgraded for fibre broadband.
The good news is that your postcode is in our plans to install our Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) technology in this area. This is a complex technology for us to install, but it delivers ultrafast speeds.

If all goes according to the plan and we don't come across any unexpected surprises, we hope to complete the work and start taking orders by December 2020. But I should add that this is likely to change if we come across any issues along the planned cable route.
My advice to you is to keep checking our website for updates. When FTTP is available and orders can be accepted, the information will be shown here:
https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br...

Edited by RSR1 (Fri 28-Feb-20 19:26:27)

Standard User Tek
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-20 20:56:15
Print Post

I can finally be added to the list of FTTPOD complete orders.

Desktop survey: 9th October 2018
Order placed and paid 29th November 2018 (linked with a neighbour)
Order complete: 28th February 2020

Could it be the longest install so far?

/D
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 28-Feb-20 23:30:47
Print Post

[re: Tek] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Tek:
I can finally be added to the list of FTTPOD complete orders.

Congratulations!

In reply to a post by Tek:
Desktop survey: 9th October 2018
Order placed and paid 29th November 2018 (linked with a neighbour)
Order complete: 28th February 2020

Could it be the longest install so far?

Depends whether you include the time to perform the survey. Here's mine:

Initial order placed: 10 Mar 2018
Survey received and order confirmed: 26 June 2018
Order complete: 30 August 2019

So my total time was 538 days, yours was 507.

But excluding the survey time, yours was 456 days, mine was 430 days.

I don't think it's a competition either of us wanted to win smile
(learned) Mon 02-Mar-20 10:31:20
Print Post

[re: Tek] [link to this post]

Welcome to the club.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User adfinlay
(newbie) Mon 02-Mar-20 10:42:50
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

That nearly seems like what they are using. After my initial £39,000 desktop quote my new one just arrived at £13,100...quite the difference.

This one also states: "Openreach estimate that the distance to the fibre aggregation node serving your premises is 0 - 199m.", would I be silly to hope that this short distance would mean my final quote could be much less?

Edited by adfinlay (Mon 02-Mar-20 11:13:29)

Standard User E300
(learned) Mon 02-Mar-20 11:55:06
Print Post

The only way to know is pay for the survey, we can all second guess and throw potential prices at you and one of us may be close, but you'll not know which one of us is the closest until the survey is done and have a price.

The closer the node you are will reduce one aspect of the price, but it also depends on where that node is which might cause an increase.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 02-Mar-20 12:06:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by adfinlay:
That nearly seems like what they are using. After my initial £39,000 desktop quote my new one just arrived at £13,100...quite the difference.

This one also states: "Openreach estimate that the distance to the fibre aggregation node serving your premises is 0 - 199m.", would I be silly to hope that this short distance would mean my final quote could be much less?

It does seem a lot. However, the line-of-sight distance may be 200m, but the route on the ground could easily be twice as long, and it depends what already exists along that route.

My original quote was £13,700, which was one of the very early ones. This reduced to £6,600 on survey, and it included 34m of new ducting (in a quiet lane). The rest was supposed to be existing ducts. In the end, one of the main ducts was full, and they had to dig a further 164m of new duct... that would have been very expensive for them.

It's possible that in the light of nearly 2 years of experience, their desktop quotes are coming in closer to the actual costings, and/or the costings from survey have gone up to be more realistic. Few people have reported their findings here recently, but in the latest one (Jan 2020) the price actually went up from £6,800 to £8,640.

You have to take a gamble. What's the maximum you would be prepared to pay for the installation? If you are prepared to pay, say, £8K(+VAT) up front for the installation, plus £100+VAT per month for the first year, then you can probably afford to gamble £250+VAT on the survey.

It would hurt if the final quote came out too high and you had to abandon the order, but it's only equivalent to the first two and a half months of line rental.
Standard User LordVader
(member) Mon 02-Mar-20 14:01:59
Print Post

Yep it was mine that came back more than the desktop quote.

Frustrating thing is houses on the same estate, built by the same developer and less than a couple hundred yards away all have FTTP 😔.

I was sure my survey quote would come back lower then the desktop (£6,800+vat). Even the engineer that came out said it should be a easy install due to being new builds.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Tue 03-Mar-20 10:43:09
Print Post

[re: steveham] [link to this post]

Build quote arrived this morning following on site survey the other week. Happy things are finally moving.

Labour - £4,355.64
Stores - £3,801.54
Contract Labour - £1,676.64
Civils - £1,856.12
Civils Stores - £0
Tree Cutting- £0
Connection Charge - £990.00
Total Charges (excl. VAT) - £12,679.94

PP Deduction £ (1,800.00)
Survey Fee £ (250.00)

Total Charges Payable (excl. VAT) - £10,629.94
Gigabit Voucher - £(2,500.00)
Total Charges Payable (less Gb Voucher) - £8,129.94

Amvia have also been in contact and confirmed a second voucher can be applied for, for the other business property linked to my order. This brings the total build cost to £5,629.94

Will have a think over the next week or so whether this is viable financially
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 03-Mar-20 10:56:04
Print Post

At least it's a lot better than the £45,000 desktop quote smile

PP discount of £1,800 is interesting. If the two properties are on separate PONs (£700 each) then it means 8 additional properties will be passed (£50 each). If the two properties are on the same PON then 22 additional properties will be passed.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Tue 03-Mar-20 11:10:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
At least it's a lot better than the £45,000 desktop quote smile

PP discount of £1,800 is interesting. If the two properties are on separate PONs (£700 each) then it means 8 additional properties will be passed (£50 each). If the two properties are on the same PON then 22 additional properties will be passed.

Not completely sure. Here is a rough map of the plan https://ibb.co/LNxtk0r , on the farm there are a total of 8 properties (2 business addresses and 6 residential). The 6 remaining FTTC properties could presumably tap into the new optical network once it becomes native?
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 03-Mar-20 11:25:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by steveham:
Not completely sure. Here is a rough map of the plan https://ibb.co/LNxtk0r , on the farm there are a total of 8 properties (2 business addresses and 6 residential). The 6 remaining FTTC properties could presumably tap into the new optical network once it becomes native?

Yes, if they are within sensible range of the "8-port CBT" (connectorised block terminal) which is where the final drop to each property will connect.

The diagram shows a single splitter, but they have given you the benefit of 2 x £700 PON discounts which is good.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 04-Mar-20 15:53:08
Print Post

Are you laying the 720m of ducting and installing the 5 Joint boxes?
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Wed 04-Mar-20 15:58:15
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Are you laying the 720m of ducting and installing the 5 Joint boxes?

Yes, we'll be laying the 720m of duct and 5 JF4 boxes.

Not sure if I can avail of some of the £4,000 labour costs from OR's quote lol!
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 04-Mar-20 16:06:06
Print Post

Highly recommend hiring in a Ditch Witch C24X rather than using a digger (even if you already have one) as its a lot easier and quicker. I did just over 350m in a few hours last year.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Wed 04-Mar-20 16:50:53
Print Post

Highly recommend hiring in a Ditch Witch C24X rather than using a digger (even if you already have one) as its a lot easier and quicker. I did just over 350m in a few hours last year.

That looks like it would make light work of it actually, we do have a digger and was dreading the mess it would make!

What depth were you able to get it to? I see it could potentially go down to ~900mm (just thinking of the plough possibly severing the fibre in the future).
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 04-Mar-20 17:00:25
Print Post

That looks like it would make light work of it actually, we do have a digger and was dreading the mess it would make!

What depth were you able to get it to? I see it could potentially go down to ~900mm (just thinking of the plough possibly severing the fibre in the future).
The deepest I went down was around 600mm as I don't have the issue of ploughing, I agree if you do plough then you may need to look for a model that goes deeper or find a hire company that does a trencher attachment for a tractor.

Edited by dect (Wed 04-Mar-20 17:02:30)

Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 04-Mar-20 17:12:43
Print Post

Something else to consider.

If Openreach are supplying the joint boxes (product called Stakkabox) they come in sections that are 150mm deep, so make sure they supply enough sections if you're going down extra deep. Also the deeper you go the more drop in steps you need and after about 900mm I think you need a sump at the bottom.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Wed 04-Mar-20 18:08:42
Print Post

Something else to consider.

If Openreach are supplying the joint boxes (product called Stakkabox) they come in sections that are 150mm deep, so make sure they supply enough sections if you're going down extra deep. Also the deeper you go the more drop in steps you need and after about 900mm I think you need a sump at the bottom.

Openreach advised that it was possibly cheaper to build/source our own boxes as we were doing everything else anyway, stakkabox as you mention are around £80 per 150mm module from what I was able to find online.

We will likely opt for these from a local builders merchant https://www.moore-concrete.com/groundworks/concrete-... , It's precast and formed to Openreach spec and works out at around £90exVAT per 800mm deep box. Openreach will supply the lids
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 04-Mar-20 18:59:42
Print Post

We will likely opt for these from a local builders merchant https://www.moore-concrete.com/groundworks/concrete-... , It's precast and formed to Openreach spec and works out at around £90exVAT per 800mm deep box. Openreach will supply the lids
OK, I had read that Stakkabox (from Cubic) are the only Openreach approved Joint boxes product (other than brick built), even other Cubic products are not approved.
Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Wed 04-Mar-20 19:23:27
Print Post

My site survey was completed today, I was informed no extra construction work was required and all the ducting is clear.

So, as I understand it, itís a 700M~ run from the aggregation node and termination. Iíll wait for the final quote now to see what it comes out at which is interesting as on the desktop survey they have stated that the aggregation node was 200-399M away.

Has anyone had any 700M install costs just out of curiosity?
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Wed 04-Mar-20 19:29:16
Print Post

OK, I had read that Stakkabox (from Cubic) are the only Openreach approved Joint boxes product (other than brick built), even other Cubic products are not approved.

Yeah, I think you could be right on that https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/open...

However I am happy taking the risk lol
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 04-Mar-20 21:24:03
Print Post

However I am happy taking the risk lol
Who dares wins I think Del boy once said laugh
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Thu 05-Mar-20 10:42:35
Print Post

Build quote arrived this morning following on site survey the other week. Happy things are finally moving.

Labour - £4,355.64
Stores - £3,801.54
Contract Labour - £1,676.64
Civils - £1,856.12
Civils Stores - £0
Tree Cutting- £0
Connection Charge - £990.00
Total Charges (excl. VAT) - £12,679.94

PP Deduction £ (1,800.00)
Survey Fee £ (250.00)

Total Charges Payable (excl. VAT) - £10,629.94
Gigabit Voucher - £(2,500.00)
Total Charges Payable (less Gb Voucher) - £8,129.94

Amvia have also been in contact and confirmed a second voucher can be applied for, for the other business property linked to my order. This brings the total build cost to £5,629.94

Will have a think over the next week or so whether this is viable financially

The FTTP gods have been kind, looks like we we'll be able to avail of the rural gigabit voucher of up to £3,500 https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/rural/ as we are in Band H according to the NISRA definitions.

Brings total install costs to £3,629.94

Will be proceeding with order.

Edited by steveham (Thu 05-Mar-20 10:44:53)

Standard User dect
(experienced) Fri 06-Mar-20 08:45:47
Print Post

The FTTP gods have been kind, looks like we we'll be able to avail of the rural gigabit voucher of up to £3,500 https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/rural/ as we are in Band H according to the NISRA definitions.
Thats good news.

Anyone wanting to check if their post code is eligible for a Rural GBVS just need to pop their post code in the checker on the Rural GBVS web page
(learned) Fri 06-Mar-20 09:57:03
Print Post

My FTTPoD was activated in the middle of February and I was checking to see if my brother can order it (he lives next door). So far the BT wholesale checker only shows my address as being able to order. Does it just take a little time for everything to be updated or does he need to call someone to get the error fixed?

I have checked all the houses next to the pole and none of them can get it but me.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User E300
(learned) Fri 06-Mar-20 10:37:49
Print Post

It should happen at the same time as yours becomes available on the checkers, for my neighbours that was the case.

Did they say how many properties your install would pass, and/or give you a discount for passing other properties? Does your brothers house have a telephone line going to the same pole? How many telephone lines go to that pole as maybe there are more than lines than they have provided connections for, for example there may be an 8 port connector only and 12 lines to the pole.

Have you checked on dslchecker.bt.com to see what that says? There might be some delay in updating the records perhaps in some cases so it may happen later, otherwise you could ask your supplier to query it.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 06-Mar-20 11:36:41
Print Post

I would have expected you and the neighbours to go live on the checker at the same time. If it hasn't happened now, I don't think it's going to happen (without prodding from MrSaffron anyway)

If all houses are served by the same pole, and there's a multiport CBT, then it should be possible to get the database corrected. Also your survey final quotation should have said something about "properties passed", does it equal the number of properties served by the pole?
(learned) Fri 06-Mar-20 12:46:10
Print Post

There were eight properties passed with three (including my brothers) coming from my pole.

Here's a pic.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Mar-20 12:57:18
Print Post

So making it available for the others has slipped down the back of the metaphorical sofa.

Pass the required details to Mr.Saffron via a PM and see if he can prod the correct folk to redress this .

(edit) My mistake ... email is preferred by the pokee apparently.

Edited by Zarjaz (Fri 06-Mar-20 13:00:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 06-Mar-20 15:30:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I'm just wondering about the FTTPoD info in the BTW checker, and whether the poster is referring to that rather than native FTTP entries.

What happens at premises that can get native FTTP, such as those neighbours now can. The FTTPoD line should surely not show it as available?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Mar-20 15:36:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It a scooby Bob.

(learned) Fri 06-Mar-20 16:38:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I tried my address on BT fibre just out of interest and they said I can get FTTP. My neighbours on either side who are connected to the same pole can not.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Sat 07-Mar-20 00:37:03
Print Post

Who says you need mess with a digger. You just have to turf cut along a string line, joint, roll & lift the turf, and set aside, then dig. Went down a treat and with 2-months you couldn't see where we had been.
No mess here

Looks like a decent length to cut though, we only did 200m like this.

Openreach provided ducting for my job, and it was all 3m sections. A drum roll hung from the tele handler would have been easier than slotting all the bits together. If they are doing the ducting might be worth an ask.

Good luck

Dave
Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Tue 10-Mar-20 21:17:55
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

I had my site survey quote, so pretty quick service today.

Labour £5,122.00
Contract Labour £0.00
Civils £750.00
Stores £3,849.00
BT Connection Charge £495.00
Deduction £-900.00
Field Survey charge paid £-250.00

Total

£9,066.00 +VAT

I really need to have a think about how to proceed, as I also have a TT Business leased line quote and thats coming out at around the same price for a 36 month contract.

I seems alot of money for a 700m ~ fiber run on a fairly straight forward job.
Standard User brookheather
(member) Tue 10-Mar-20 21:23:11
Print Post

RSR1 - can you not claim a £2500 Gigabit voucher to reduce the price?

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Tue 10-Mar-20 22:36:41
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

Iím not 100% sure in all honestly, as my order will be classed as residential order rather than a business line.

OpenReach have also said the following directly:

Thanks for getting in touch with us about fibre broadband availability in your area.

I've looked into your query and can see that the cabinet that you're connected to hasn't yet been upgraded for fibre broadband.

The good news is that your postcode is in our plans to install our Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) technology in this area. This is a complex technology for us to install, but it delivers ultrafast speeds.

If all goes according to the plan and we don't come across any unexpected surprises, we hope to complete the work and start taking orders by December 2020. But I should add that this is likely to change if we come across any issues along the planned cable route.

Iím really not sure which way to go at the moment but itís hugely effecting me working from home as my currently FTTC continues to drop in sync speed every other week.
(member) Tue 10-Mar-20 22:40:30
Print Post

If there are plans for FTTP then OR won't proceed with an FTTPoD order anyway.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Mar-20 06:13:35
Print Post

If your cabinet isnít set up for FTTC, how come you got a desktop survey ???

I believed you had to be connected to an FTTC cab to get a quote .

Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Wed 11-Mar-20 07:24:46
Print Post

I am connected to a FTTC / G.Fast pod but my local aggregation node is a bit further back.

Whatís making this even more frustrating is I am 350/400m (15.5db to 15.8db line attenuation)from my FTTC cabinet but I am only syncing at currently 36Mb. This has fallen from 80Mb since October, Iíve had 9 Openreach engineers out who say there is nothing wrong with the line each time and close the case down. The BT hand back range for the line is 58Mb but seemly thatís means nothing.

Zen have been unable to fix the line, so have provided a full refund and I have moved it to AA ISP as I understand they are good with OpenReach.

So I am really unsure which option to choose at the mo.

TT business leased line 300/300 376 +VAT
TT Business leased line 100/100 307 +VAT
FTTPoD - £10800~ install + 100 +VAT
Wait till December to see if I can order FTTP

If my FTTC was stable Iíd wait but itís not hence unsure on how to proceed.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Wed 11-Mar-20 07:26:11
Print Post

Duff information from OR, RSR1 has 80/20 FTTC as stated in this post rsr1

So in view of OR saying that FTTC is not available when it obviously is and at full speed, ( or was originally) I am not sure if I would believe that OR are about to install native FTTP, something fishy going on.smile

Edited by Realalemadrid (Wed 11-Mar-20 07:28:09)

Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Mar-20 07:33:51
Print Post

100/100 leased line doesn't seem too bad but how long is the contract, 36 months?

Vodafone FTTH - 500/500
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 11-Mar-20 08:13:27
Print Post

Might be worth trying your address in the Fibre First checker - although I expect all it will tell you is that you have FTTC.

The advantage of the leased line is it will be installed quickly - perhaps in 3 or 4 months - whereas FTTPoD sometimes takes 12-18 months. And it *will* give you better service in the short term, especially if you're hammering the 100M uplink.

The advantage of FTTP is that after 12 months, you have native FTTP at FTTP prices. The leased line price probably won't go down if you keep it going after 3 years, even though in effect you've paid off the build cost over 3 years.

Your 3 year cost (assuming you stick with Cerberus 330/50 after 1 year):
FTTPoD: 9066 + 100*12 + 71.50*24 = 11982
100/100 LL: 307*36 = 11052
But after that the FTTP is 235.50 per month cheaper, so 3 more months and you've broken even.

That's worst case. I also expect that by then FTTP will be cheaper and/or faster, with big players like Sky and Talktalk selling Openreach FTTP. And of course, you're only tied into a 1 year contract.

You can let AASIP have a go for six months and see if they can fix it back to 80/20. You can be pretty sure that your leased line quote isn't going to get more expensive over that time, and you might find out you're getting native FTTP. But you'll lose your £250 survey fee.

Regarding residential or business, it doesn't matter if your building is classed as residential as long as you have evidence you are "trading from" that address. Section 3.3 of T&Cs:

If required to do so you must provide evidence of your status as a SME or sole trader.
Documentation we will accept includes: VAT registration; Charity Registration: HMRC
notification; sole trader UTR number; certification of incorporation (limited companies);
business bank account statement issued within the last three months; non-domestic rates
reference. Other documentation, such as business-related utility bills, may be acceptable in
certain circumstances if combined with other documentation.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 11-Mar-20 12:06:53
Print Post

One other thing: your discount suggests that 3 of your neighbours would be gain FTTP availability as part of the build. You can ask for confirmation of the specific addresses, although you can probably make a good guess yourself.

If they're interested, you can either share the build costs informally, or submit linked orders - although in the latter case I believe the other party will also be on an expensive £100+VAT contract for the first 12 months.
Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Wed 11-Mar-20 20:59:39
Print Post

The Fiber First just says the following:

Faster and more reliable fibre is coming to your area soon. Full Fibre is our fastest technology, but your exact speed will depend on which broadband provider and package you choose. Sign up for news and updates.

I'm not to fussed about loosing the site survey as in the grand scheme of things its not lot of money compared to the total costs of making the wrong choice.

I guess my options at the moment are:

AA ISP - T-Shoot FTTC - £45 P/M & Maybe a fresh phoneline install.
FTTPoD - £10800~ + £120 P/M - 330/30 - So total cost over 36 months is £15,120
TTB LL - £450~ P/M - 300/300 - So the total cost would be £16200
TTB LL - £370~ P/M - 100/100 - So the total cost would be £13320

TTB has said the install should be straight forward as long as there is no wayleave, so it should be anything from 60-75 days.

I can also wait 8 months to see where Openreach are with this FTTP install but could be useful with the new FTTP higher tiers and the add upload bandwidth which is really helpful for work.

I wouldn't classify for tradeing from as I am perminate employee rather than a contractor, I did used to have my own company for contracting but that was closed down when I moved to a perminate role.

Yes, I have 3 other properies I can share the order with but I am not 100% sure they would opt for it due to the overall costs but I will ask at the weekend.

So I have quiet a bit to think about over the weekend, along with some man maths.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Mar-20 21:12:07
Print Post

Have you considered taking a second line, and bonding the connections - AA ISP can do this, might give you the speed boost you need.

Edited by R0NSKI (Wed 11-Mar-20 21:12:35)

Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Wed 11-Mar-20 21:21:33
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I did think about it but I have read about mixed results, ill float the idea via AA ISP though
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Mar-20 09:17:07
Print Post

AA can do a true properly bonded connection so there shouldn't be any issues, there is a guy on the Isle of Skye that's bonding 4 ADSL lines with them.

It will also give you a level of redundancy if there's a fault on one line, the other will still work.

Standard User domb
(newbie) Fri 13-Mar-20 09:27:54
Print Post

Yes, have had good results bonding with AAISP, this is two VDSL2 lines:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15840913882...

Ignore the upstream as my Juniper SRX router can only session load balance it (so two threads at a total of ¬40 megabit/s).
Downstream is round-robin by AAISP.

Before the FTTC I have also bonded 3xADSL1 lines with them. Can throughly recommend the service.

You might want to consider the packaged solution with the FireBrick. If technical RouterOS does a good job and can per-packet the upstream to bond it (single thread 40 megabit/s). I use a rack-mount SRX with VDSL cards in it for a single box solution.

Edited by domb (Fri 13-Mar-20 09:32:32)

Standard User bowdon
(committed) Tue 17-Mar-20 13:14:26
Print Post

As we know from reading the various FTTPoD threads from initiating the process of ordering FTTPoD to actually getting it installed can take many months, sometimes over a year.

So my question, against a background of a rapidly increasing FTTP deployment, if I was to initiate a FTTPoD order, and FTTP rollouts were heading my way, how late in the FTTPoD order would OR cancel it to install FTTP as part of their rollout?

BT Infinity 2 - ECI Cabinet
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 17-Mar-20 14:22:10
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bowdon:
So my question, against a background of a rapidly increasing FTTP deployment, if I was to initiate a FTTPoD order, and FTTP rollouts were heading my way, how late in the FTTPoD order would OR cancel it to install FTTP as part of their rollout?

There's was one case posted here of someone who paid for survey, and the survey result said that native FTTP was coming so the order was cancelled. That was Oct 2018, with the native FTTP planned for Mar 2019 (and actually delivered then too).

Otherwise: I guess once you've paid, you've entered into a contract for service. Openreach *could* cancel it if native FTTP were to overtake it, but wouldn't be under any obligation to do so.

In Fibre First locations they have an 18-month forward plan, so if this is true elsewhere in their planning, hopefully you'd get at least an 18 month clear window. This might only translate to 6 or 12 months of benefit from the FTTPoD service though, so it's certainly a risk.
Standard User shortshrift27
(newbie) Mon 11-May-20 17:01:10
Print Post

Another FTTPoD data point. Provider is Cerberus, premises are in a village in the West Highlands, estimated distance to aggregation node 600-799m.

2020-03-13 quote request submitted
2020-03-27 desktop quote - £33,000 + VAT
2020-04-27 openreach surveyor on site (delayed due to covid-19)
2020-05-11 confirmed build charge - £9,032 + VAT

Labour -- £4,830.00
Contract Labour -- £649.00
Civils -- £924.00
Stores -- £3,584.00
BT Connection Charge -- £495.00
Deduction -- £-1,200.00
Field Survey charge paid -- £-250.00
Total -- £9,032.00
(learned) Tue 12-May-20 19:05:28
Print Post

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

Are you going to go for it?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User bomber456
(committed) Tue 12-May-20 20:56:09
Print Post

I paid for a survey about end of 2018, Openreach came out months later and surveyed my street. Came back with almost 10K quote which I decided not to proceed with.
Fast forward to January this year, Openreach were out in the van loads doing my street anyway, and as of may 8th went live.
Unable to order currently due to BT pulling FTTP sales from their website, but hopefully next month can sort my order out ūüėÄ

(newbie) Wed 13-May-20 14:02:58
Print Post

Are you going to go for it?

Very likely. Just waiting for Openreach to confirm what they have quoted for (the Openreach surveyor asked for two quotes to be generated: (1) for Openreach to build end-to-end, (2) for me to complete the section across my property; they've only provided one number with no further explanation, hence the ambiguity...).

@bomber456, We're all going to have FTTP by 2025, aren't we? smile I don't think it will come terribly soon to my village...
Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Mon 18-May-20 21:09:09
Print Post

Looks like I maybe back on the FTTPoD order list, as I am not sure what BT are doing at the moment, even though we are still in lock down.

Over the past few months I have had the following from BT:

March 2020

The I had this at the start of the month directly from Open Reach.

We are very happy to let you know that we've recently announced plans to start upgrading the network in Chelmsford, and our initial planning work will include your street. In the near future, you may see people working on behalf of Openreach in your area. Be sure to say "hi" if you see them.

It can take a year or more to finish your local network upgrade. Much of the time, you may not actively see us because we're meeting with local councils, landlords and highway authorities to get all the necessary permissions to install the new Openreach kit. Then we work on installing new equipment in our local exchange and other parts of town to get the fibre to your street.

Then today I have had the following:

I've looked into your query and can see that the cabinet that you're connected to hasn't yet been upgraded for FTTP(Fibre to the premises) broadband. And I'm afraid at the moment we don't have any plans to upgrade it.

An option that many local groups - who want faster broadband - are taking is a Community Fibre Partnership (CFP). A CFP is where we work with a local group representing two or more premises to bring superfast, or ultrafast, to an area. Where possible we bring together funding from local authorities, Government voucher schemes and other grants to help make things affordable - plus we contribute toward the cost in line with our own commercial model too.

At present, around 800 communities across the UK have signed up for a CFP with us via this scheme. We'll never say no to bringing fibre broadband to any community, so anyone interested in this option can

It even looks to have been removed from the FTTP checker site, as its no longer listed as coming soon, so I have no idea what the plan is with at the moment.

So I may have to replace my order with Cerberus for another FTTPoD order, so I may check again at the start of next month and go from there.

I have also moved my line away from AA ISP as I really wasn't impressed with there service, so I have managed to correct the problem myself somewhat and moved it back to Zen.

Edited by RSR1 (Mon 18-May-20 21:12:07)

(newbie) Mon 18-May-20 21:38:12
Print Post

(1) "We are very happy to let you know that we've recently announced plans to start upgrading the network in Chelmsford, and our initial planning work will include your street."

(2) "I've looked into your query and can see that the cabinet that you're connected to hasn't yet been upgraded for FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) broadband. And I'm afraid at the moment we don't have any plans to upgrade it."

smile

I would feel a bit nervous about an expensive FTTPoD build with such apparently contradictory statements floating around. Could (2) be based simply on stale information? Though hopefully this would emerge during the survey. (For which you'd have to pay again, I presume...) Anyways, the *cabinet* wouldn't normally require upgrading, as the connection happens at the agg node, no? But this could just be careless wording.
Standard User RSR1
(newbie) Mon 18-May-20 21:58:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by shortshrift27:
I would feel a bit nervous about an expensive FTTPoD build with such apparently contradictory statements floating around. Could (2) be based simply on stale information? Though hopefully this would emerge during the survey. (For which you'd have to pay again, I presume...) Anyways, the *cabinet* wouldn't normally require upgrading, as the connection happens at the agg node, no? But this could just be careless wording.

Correct, it would be another £300.00 for a site survey.

I didn't mind waiting but now its unknown I am not sure what to do, I'll happily pay for it to be install but not if they are building into the area soon. I have gone back to BT with all the information I have and asked them to confirm it.

Also does any one else have any good contacts at BT I can find some more stable information for?

I have been thinking about raising the issue with the local MP.

Edited by RSR1 (Mon 18-May-20 22:04:55)

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Tue 19-May-20 10:14:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by RSR1:
I have been thinking about raising the issue with the local MP.

You will get a more positive result raising the issue with your local MP and letting him do the leg work.

I got ours's involved and the ball started rolling but that was 3 years ago. frown

At least we had a positive answer. wink

BTBroadband
(newbie) Wed 27-May-20 16:39:21
Print Post

I've hit an unexpected snag with my FTTPoD order. The quote came in at the beginning of May. I am keen to proceed. The OR surveyor put in the paperwork a request for 2 quotes: (1) OR to build end to end; (2) customer to complete the section on their property. OR came back with only one number, with no further context.

So... my provider asked them whether this was the quote for OR to build end to end or for customer completion.

That was two and a half weeks ago. Just a simple yes/no enquiry regarding the quote they'd already generated.

We've heard nothing, and the quote times out next week.

I have no contacts at OR, and my provider says they have followed up without response. Is the build actually about to collapse over something so daft?
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-May-20 17:05:40
Print Post

The question you should ask yourself is, would I be prepared to pay £9,032 + VAT and provide the labour to do the work over your land? If yes then proceed

Edited by dect (Wed 27-May-20 17:35:14)

(newbie) Wed 27-May-20 17:35:48
Print Post

The question you should ask yourself is, would I be prepared to pay £9,032 + VAT and provider the labour to do the work over your land? If yes then proceed

I've wondered this, but you can appreciate my reluctance to put £10k down simply not knowing whether I might be liable for another £3k (?) on top.

Also, if OR are prepared to let their own quote time out over the course of weeks rather than respond to a yes/no question, the answer to which they have at their fingertips, then what can I expect if the build hits a genuine problem with permissions or such like? At that point they'll have my money, and will they still be so utterly uninterested? I wasn't expecting FTTPoD to be a quick process at all - I've read the stories - but...
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-May-20 17:40:03
Print Post

How much work is required across your land?

Openreach normally provide the materials (e.g. ducting) so it just comes down to labour and any mechanical aids you might need to achieve the work.
Standard User isar
(newbie) Mon 01-Jun-20 14:23:28
Print Post

my fibre on demand story with Cerberus

exchange = Whitchurch race to infinity winers

21/06/2019 - Paid for survey

27/08/2019 - Confirmed FTTP on Demand Build cost
Labour £5,245.36
Contract Labour £0.00
Civils £750.00
Stores £3,690.30
BT Connection Charge £495.00
Deduction £-1,050.00
Field Survey charge paid £-250.00
Total £8,881.00
7 Premises passed. Deductions of £50 per premises and £700.00 per FTTPoD order
Confirmed Build Charge ex VAT £8,881.00
Confirmed Build Charge inc VAT £10,657.20
Voucher £2,500.00
Amount Due £8,157.20
(of which VAT) £1,776.20

08/09/2019 Paid Above

21/11/2019 Current Status: Provisional traffic notice submitted for road closure with a start date of 17/02/20. Onsite between 21:00 to 06:00 for 3 nights

16/12/2019 – over head fibre added from pole opposite house on the far side of road to pole 20 yards down from house on the near side of the road with coils left on both poles

17/02/2020 openreach on site for 3 nights (coils on poles remain untouched)

21/02/2020 I asked if had been any problems

26/02/2020 Current Status: Cabling completed 26/02/20. Jointing now required

28/20/2020 more overhead fibre added now from pole 30 yards up from house on near side of the road to pole 20 yards down from house on the near side of the road and also an 8 port fibre manifold added

09/03/2020 update - Current Status: Jointers have found a blockage between a pole and a cable chamber box very close to your premises

30/03/2020 update – blockage cleared

03/04/2020 update - I have received confirmation that the jointing work has now been completed

13/05/2020 Openreach engineer on site for final audit – he was very confused that the fibre installed on the 16/12/2019 was still in coils of both poles but the fibre is active

15/05/2020 2 Openreach engineers on site removing unused fibre

18/05/2020 BT checker shows FTTP as available

26/05/2020 call from Openreach with install date of 08/06/2020

Edited by isar (Mon 01-Jun-20 14:24:24)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jun-20 14:40:53
Print Post

[re: isar] [link to this post]

There’s lots of native FTTP in Whitchurch, there has been for a good few years, are you right out in the sticks ?

Standard User isar
(newbie) Mon 01-Jun-20 14:52:45
Print Post

no I am only about 1200m from town centre on the east side of town, most of the native FTTP is the town centre and to the west
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jun-20 15:21:53
Print Post

OK, well good luck when it’s all done and dusted.

Standard User isar
(newbie) Tue 09-Jun-20 12:48:25
Print Post

well my install was 24 hours ago and I am still unable to connect.. Cerberus say it's because openreach have not closed the order. the wait goes on.
Standard User isar
(newbie) Wed 10-Jun-20 16:20:10
Print Post

48 hours and still not working
Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Wed 10-Jun-20 19:23:01
Print Post

Openreach really are dreadful.

Draytek 2862.
Standard User isar
(newbie) Wed 10-Jun-20 19:37:55
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

apparently there is exception on the Order which is preventing it form closing in supplier system and they have already raised to get sorted
Standard User pipcoo
(learned) Thu 11-Jun-20 10:48:29
Print Post

I was (am ) a member of the £39,000 quote club back a few years ago, I`m supposedly in a Fibre First area and part of Project Stratum in Northern Ireland so thought I`d get an updated quote to see if anything had changed and got this back from Cerebus

We have now received the estimate of the charges from BT. These are detailed below.

Estimated Build Cost: Unable to offer an estimate using desk survey tools. Onsite survey required to confirm charges

The build charge includes the estimate for the work and materials required to deliver the service. It also includes the connection charge.

Number of premises passed for FTTP: Unknown (Subject to survey)
Standard User isar
(newbie) Fri 12-Jun-20 10:28:49
Print Post

[re: pipcoo] [link to this post]

finally my service became active this morning
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 12-Jun-20 11:31:08
Print Post

woohoo!!
(learned) Tue 16-Jun-20 19:31:49
Print Post

Congrats!!!!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User thash1zn1t
(newbie) Wed 24-Jun-20 21:51:53
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I put in for a desktop quote with Cerberus for FTTPoD a few weeks back. They have come back with a quote of £6200 ex VAT, number of premises past = 12. I am served by a pole outside my house which distribute 12 phone lines including mine to neighbours houses.

I am desperate to improve my current FTTC speeds of 15MB down 2 up. I am in a small village with FTTC but no FTTP as far as i am aware. looked up my cabinet number (4) and distance to the Exchange (Radnage but moved to Stokenchurch, very confusing)....By road i am 409M from the exchange and my cabinet is slightly closer and the DSLAM is 10M closer still.

My understanding is that the connection needs to be made from the aggregation node which i assume is under one of the two manhole covers across the road from the Exchange (one is 3 wide and one is 2 wide). but that is a total assumption on my part.

I have had a look at the desktop quote to real quote conversions listed on this forum and i am hopeful that if i go for the real quote it will come down but its going to cost me to find out. Is there any realistic way of ascertaining where the aggregation node is apart form asking the surveyor if and when he turns up?

If i pay for the real quote does that tie me into any firm commitments for the order and can you cancel if its too expensive? Also do you have to pay the full quote amount up front before the work starts?

thanks in advance, i am learning as fast as i can and this forum has been imvaluable, thankyou
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 25-Jun-20 07:07:00
Print Post

[re: thash1zn1t] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by thash1zn1t:
Is there any realistic way of ascertaining where the aggregation node is apart form asking the surveyor if and when he turns up?

No. And even if you did know, it doesn't necessarily give you much indication of the cost - there could be other special engineering difficulties in connecting you.

The fact that you're only getting 15Mbps on FTTC suggests that the cable path between you and your cabinet is much longer than you think it is (probably over 2km), unless there is a gross fault somewhere. Compare with what the BT wholesale broadband checker says.

However, your FTTPoD desktop quote is relatively low, which is good news. Of course it's possible that it's in error, or that OpenReach have been tuning the process to give more accurate initial quotes.

If as you say you are "desperate" to improve your speeds, and assuming you would be happy to pay a final price of £4K-£6K+VAT, then you'll have to gamble the £250+VAT to find out. The gamble is partly that the price ends up being higher than you're willing to pay, and partly that native FTTP turns up in your area in a year or two anyway.

If i pay for the real quote does that tie me into any firm commitments for the order and can you cancel if its too expensive?

Upon paying the £250+VAT you are technically placing an order, but you are not committed. Once you receive the confirmed quote you have 30 days to make up your mind. If you do not proceed then the order automatically cancels, but you lose your £250+VAT.

Also do you have to pay the full quote amount up front before the work starts?

Yes, minus any voucher support you're eligible for (which will be collected on your behalf by the provider once installation is complete). Also, the £250+VAT you've paid will already have been deducted from the quote.

If you are eligible for a voucher, do apply for it at the same time as you place your initial survey order. This uses the time effectively while you're waiting for the survey to take place.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 25-Jun-20 07:08:32
Print Post

BTW, are you *sure* you're on FTTC and not ADSL?

Does your router/modem provide any line stats that you can share?
Standard User thash1zn1t
(newbie) Thu 25-Jun-20 09:27:05
Print Post

Many thanks for answering my questions. I am going to go for it as it will kill me to not know! Here is my connection stats.

Connection Type: Fibre Broadband (VDSL)
Downstream Sync Speed: 22.09 Mbs
Upstream Sync Speed: 2.40 Mbs

Was also wondering about the gigabit voucher scheme. i have put my postcode into the checker but it say there are no providers in my area on the voucher scheme. Cerberus is listed as being on the scheme. Is there any evidence that home users in rural areas have managed to get a discount using this scheme?

I also didnt pick a router when requesting the service and they are asking which router i want? Are there any obvious gotchas in choosing a router for FTTPod?

Thanks again
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 25-Jun-20 09:45:21
Print Post

Many thanks for answering my questions. I am going to go for it as it will kill me to not know! Here is my connection stats.

Connection Type: Fibre Broadband (VDSL)
Downstream Sync Speed: 22.09 Mbs
Upstream Sync Speed: 2.40 Mbs

I'm just over 400m line-of-sight from cabinet, I estimate 900m cable distance, and I get typically 30M down, 4.5M up. It varies around the year. Not that I watch it very carefully these days, having FTTPoD as well smile

Was also wondering about the gigabit voucher scheme. i have put my postcode into the checker but it say there are no providers in my area on the voucher scheme. Cerberus is listed as being on the scheme. Is there any evidence that home users in rural areas have managed to get a discount using this scheme?

Cerberus are best placed to advise you. They'll be able to tell you exactly what vouchers are available and the eligibility criteria.

I also didnt pick a router when requesting the service and they are asking which router i want? Are there any obvious gotchas in choosing a router for FTTPod?

Not especially. It needs an ethernet WAN port to do PPPoE, and it needs sufficient throughput to handle the speed - which will be 330/30 initially on FTTPoD, but could be up to gigabit if you upgrade the service after a year. If you describe your existing router then it may be usable.

To be honest, if you're spending that much money on an FTTPoD service, you should spend another £150-£200 to treat yourself to a top-of-the-line router and/or wireless access points.

What router(s) are Cerberus offering you, and at what price? There are others on this forum who can advise you if those are a good choice, but you can always just buy your own - unless these days Cerberus are providing a managed router as part of the service.

When I took FTTPoD, they didn't even ask me if I wanted them to provide a router.
(learned) Thu 25-Jun-20 18:11:35
Print Post

You don't get a router with FTTPoD from Cerberus.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User thash1zn1t
(newbie) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:07:39
Print Post

Thanks again for the information, I rang Cerberus today to ask about the Gigabit voucher but its only available to home users if two or more do a joint order.

I don't need a router as i already have one. I thought you needed to buy some kind of termination device/router for the fibre but they supply an ONT or something so i just need to have a router with ethernet for the service.

I am going to put the order in tomorrow and wait and see what costs they come back with. i will update you as and when that happens.

Thanks
Standard User Swac3
(learned) Thu 25-Jun-20 23:01:32
Print Post

Hardly utter nonsense, Yes ping increases as distance increases But server distance is far less of an issue than what's between the two points, [censored] routes with lots of switches are more detrimental than pure distance.

You don't have to break the laws of Physics to improve ping times, over distance, you need better routing with less bottlenecks.
Anyone who's been around a while and that's interested in tracerts to their preferred destinations will have seen the number of hops traffic takes has increased over the years, and while yes equipment has also got faster its detrimental to timing
Standard User Swac3
(learned) Thu 25-Jun-20 23:05:47
Print Post

Yup, about what?10ms round trip. Through fibre .
Standard User Swac3
(learned) Thu 25-Jun-20 23:18:01
Print Post

You pretty much argued both sides of this, saying transmission is limited by the laws of physics (which it is) and then explaining how badly poor routing through excessive hops impacts ping.

Sure having an FTTP connection isnt by any means a guarantee of low ping, but it's bit off to blame latency on the speed of light and distance, when its the routing hardware that causes the biggest delay.

Still, for most this kind of stuff makes no difference, so long as cats chasing laser pens on youtube doesn't buffer they think they have a 'great' connection.

I'm not accusing you of being one of those people, more the advertising pushed by the industry that max theoretical throughput is all that matters.
Standard User jjrobb
(newbie) Sun 05-Jul-20 10:29:55
Print Post

[re: Swac3] [link to this post]

I need some advice on selecting a FTTPoD supplier. I currently have FTTC with speeds of 25Mbps down and 2Mbps up and would be eligible for the rural gigabit voucher scheme from the government and local council for £4k total.

I have had a desktop survey quote of £12,000 and the phone line passes three other properties who are also interested in FTTP but are querying the £100+vat charge a month for fibre 300/30 that Cerberus are quoting. I realise the initial contract is 12 months, so would be able to swap to a cheaper package after that.

Are there other packages available through Cerberus or perhaps BT?

Any advice would be very helpful before I request the field survey.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Jul-20 10:49:47
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 6 *DELETED*

[re: jjrobb] [link to this post]

Post deleted by dect
(member) Sun 05-Jul-20 10:52:48
Print Post

BT don't do FTTPoD - you are basically stuck with Cerberus or one of the resellers so your monthly price will be £100+vat. You should try and strike an arrangement with your neighbours where they contribute to your build costs - they will then be able to take FTTP from any ISP including BT who are currently the cheapest. By the time your FTTP is built there should be other packages available from Sky, TalkTalk etc.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + UniFi nanoHD
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Jul-20 11:11:23
Print Post

I posted something very similar and have now deleted it as to be eligible for a rural gigabit voucher you need at least 2 properties .
Standard User jjrobb
(newbie) Sun 05-Jul-20 11:25:39
Print Post

Many thanks for the advice. Hopefully 2 or 3 of our properties would cover the build cost using the vouchers.

I thought I read somewhere that BT will do FTTPoD if you phone an order through - anyone done this?

Obviously another expense if we swap to Cerberus is breaking our current broadband contracts with BT.

Cerberus have been very efficient so far, so I would have no reservations about swapping to them for the installation and first year.

PS our phone line distance is about 1500m and runs in an underground duct the whole way from the cabinet, so hopefully the field survey estimate won’t be too far from the desktop quote.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Sun 05-Jul-20 11:37:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by jjrobb:
I thought I read somewhere that BT will do FTTPoD if you phone an order through - anyone done this?

BT (Business) used to sell FTTPoD but that was donkeys years ago, I think 5+ years ago. Its just the smaller CPs selling it these days, Cerberus,. Fluidone etc

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sun 05-Jul-20 12:01:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by brookheather:
BT don't do FTTPoD - you are basically stuck with Cerberus or one of the resellers so your monthly price will be £100+vat. You should try and strike an arrangement with your neighbours where they contribute to your build costs - they will then be able to take FTTP from any ISP including BT who are currently the cheapest. By the time your FTTP is built there should be other packages available from Sky, TalkTalk etc.

They'll be able to order if only they're served by the same CBT, which usually means the same pole or the same jointbox. If they are bit further along the road, then even if the fibre goes alongside their property they won't be able to order.

The way to resolve this is to submit linked orders - then the combined order will build *all* the CBTs required, and will be only marginally more expensive in total than the single order.

The downside is all properties will need to pay the £100+VAT rental for the first year - but as long as all properties get their own rural gigabit voucher, that should more than offset it. Given how much grief FTTPoD can cause the CP, I think they earn this money smile
Standard User idave
(newbie) Fri 10-Jul-20 16:56:29
Print Post

Hello all.

I am looking to move and buy a house in North London, Barnet area. Currently I live in a flat and I have Hyperoptic, plus I am a Network Engineer for a large corporation. So broadband quality is extremely important for me.

My question is: there are a few locations that I have looked at and have no Virgin Media, and for one specifically I have requested a FTTPoD desktop quote. But let's say it comes back reasonable (< £5000), how much of a risk it would be that the end cost ends up being much higher than the desktop quote (i.e. above 7-8000)?

Have people in this forum experienced anything like that?
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 10-Jul-20 18:39:13
Print Post

[re: idave] [link to this post]

All the FTTPoD final quotes that I've seen reported on the forum are tabulated here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QFkK1sLBFQjl...

If the broadband is that important you'll have to pay the £250+VAT to find out. However you can't actually find out without placing an FTTPoD order, and I'm not sure you'll be able to place an order when the property isn't yours. (Maybe you could if you got the existing owner's permission in writing)
Standard User MoM
(regular) Fri 10-Jul-20 18:53:14
Print Post

Theres some one on ISPr got a 1.1m quote
Standard User Highland76
(member) Fri 10-Jul-20 19:10:49
Print Post

[re: MoM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MoM:
Theres some one on ISPr got a 1.1m quote

Probably the residents of this place shocked

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User max1486
(newbie) Fri 10-Jul-20 21:02:11
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

If anyone wants to add my FTTPoD quote to that document, I received a quote of £80,000 for 8 premises in rural Scotland roughly 4 weeks ago, for obvious reasons I didn't get the mto follow up with an in real life quote.
Standard User ChemistDude
(newbie) Fri 10-Jul-20 21:56:57
Print Post

[re: max1486] [link to this post]

I live in a new build development (2018). My cul-de-sac has 6 house but it has a blocked paved road where as the rest of the 120 house development is tarmac. Please could anyone in the know advise how openreach would get the fiber to my house. Would they lift the block paving or install telegraph poles? If its telegraph poles, would I need permission from my neighbours?

Thanks in advance.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Jul-20 23:34:04
Print Post

[re: ChemistDude] [link to this post]

You're in a new build development.
The ducts your phone line comes in will be clear and it's an easy job to pull the fibre through.

No need to dig.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Sat 11-Jul-20 00:08:01
Print Post

If it's 2018 vintage then assuming Openreach are on the estate then there will be ducting underground to every property. Overhead is only for older properties (pre 1970) or very rural.

However there is a good chance any FTTPoD order would be rejected as you are likely to get native FTTP in the nearish future. Basically recently built estates without FTTP are low hanging fruit in terms of deployment of FTTP as they have ducting that is in relatively good shape. It's new so few if any blockages. As such they are getting upgraded to native FTTP as others will confirm, and if any native FTTP is in the pipeline Openreach won't take an order for FTTPoD.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sat 11-Jul-20 09:46:50
Print Post

[re: max1486] [link to this post]

The document is only for those who went to full survey, to compare what their final quote was to the original estimate.

The estimates by themselves aren't of much interest, especially when not linked to an actual address or postcode (and I don't want to collect or publish those).
Standard User Fastman3
(learned) Sat 11-Jul-20 14:39:54
Print Post

you should be trying to do something for the whole development especially if all copper and FTT on it

suggest checking on the Openreach fibre checker on Openreach.co.uk to see if there are any plans to do anything on it (if there is that will tell you if anything is in plan at current

or raise a community fibre partnership to get the estate covered with FTTP - depends where you are in country will depend f you any access to Gigabit vouchers or not
(newbie) Sat 11-Jul-20 23:46:22
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
You're in a new build development.
The ducts your phone line comes in will be clear and it's an easy job to pull the fibre through.

No need to dig.

Thank you j0hn83 smile
(newbie) Sat 11-Jul-20 23:50:14
Print Post

If it's 2018 vintage then assuming Openreach are on the estate then there will be ducting underground to every property. Overhead is only for older properties (pre 1970) or very rural.

However there is a good chance any FTTPoD order would be rejected as you are likely to get native FTTP in the nearish future. Basically recently built estates without FTTP are low hanging fruit in terms of deployment of FTTP as they have ducting that is in relatively good shape. It's new so few if any blockages. As such they are getting upgraded to native FTTP as others will confirm, and if any native FTTP is in the pipeline Openreach won't take an order for FTTPoD.

Thank you jabuzzard. Unfortunately I did email openreach and they said they cannot see any plans in my area (Wakefield WF1) frown
In the meantime I have asked Cerberus networks for a desktop quote.
(newbie) Sat 11-Jul-20 23:55:09
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman3:
you should be trying to do something for the whole development especially if all copper and FTT on it

suggest checking on the Openreach fibre checker on Openreach.co.uk to see if there are any plans to do anything on it (if there is that will tell you if anything is in plan at current

or raise a community fibre partnership to get the estate covered with FTTP - depends where you are in country will depend f you any access to Gigabit vouchers or not

I would love to do that for my entire development in Wakefield (WF1). We have a development facebook group with 150+ members or so where I have asked everyone to express interest via the openreach and BT websites but no one seems to be interested in FTTPoD or Community Fibre Partnership.

I contacted open reach and they gave me this reply:
I have checked and I cannot see any plans in this area to supply Fibre to the Premise (FTTP) in your area. I can see you already have FTTC on your line so you could consider our Community Fibre Partnership scheme. We can’t always guarantee this will be feasible but we would be willing to look at it if you are interested. To find out more please visit our website

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/community-...

There is also the Gigabit Voucher Scheme (GB30) providing £100M worth of funding assistance to enable some areas with superfast connectivity. Provides £3,500 per small/medium business and £1,500 per residential address that could part or fully fund a CFP scheme.

https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/wp-content/upl...

https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/for-residents/...

I hope this information helps. As our investigations have now been concluded I will close this case. Please note any further correspondence to this case will not be seen by the team so should you have any further queries please raise a new enquiry.

I believe these gigabit schemes are either expired or unavailable to my area. Wonder if its worth pursuing a community partnership with just a couple of neighbours over FTTPoD? Would openreach contribute much that way?

Also how much credence do openreach give to expressions of interest via https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband ?

Cheers

Edited by ChemistDude (Sun 12-Jul-20 00:01:34)

Standard User simon194
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Jul-20 08:14:48
Print Post

I had a similar problem last year trying to drum up suppoprt for CFP on my developement but only 6 out of 60 were interested. It looks like most seem quite happy with the 20-30 Mbps they get.

Now that the area is part of the Openreach's FTTP rollout there is more interest. Guess it's a cost issue.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 13-Jul-20 08:49:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by ChemistDude:
Wonder if its worth pursuing a community partnership with just a couple of neighbours over FTTPoD? Would openreach contribute much that way?

With CFP, Openreach contribute "some of the costs".

With FTTPoD, the Openreach contribution is £700, plus £50 per "property passed" (i.e. made available for service as part of the build). These deductions will have already been made in the firm quote you receive.

With linked FTTPoD orders, you also have to remember that each user will be paying the FTTPoD service charge for the first year (for Cerberus: £100+VAT per month), after which they can switch supplier.

Any of your neighbours who don't join in, but are on the same CBT, will find native FTTP available immediately and can just order FTTP from any supplier at normal price. You have to think of this as a positive, i.e. your FTTPoD is benefitting your local community as a side-effect, at no extra cost to you. Otherwise you won't do it smile
Standard User Fastman3
(learned) Mon 13-Jul-20 12:50:57
Print Post

candlerb

the fundamental point of the CFP is it make a contribution per premse so if you do a fod and you pick up 8 you get the figures as you state - if the whole developement say is 100X you get the openreach contribtun by the number of premises meaning that if you live in an estate CFP will 1005 always be the better ansnwer (as it will cover all of the development - or should do
(newbie) Mon 13-Jul-20 23:01:51
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
I had a similar problem last year trying to drum up suppoprt for CFP on my developement but only 6 out of 60 were interested. It looks like most seem quite happy with the 20-30 Mbps they get.

Now that the area is part of the Openreach's FTTP rollout there is more interest. Guess it's a cost issue.

Thanks for your insights. It'll probably be the same for me, no one wants to pay if they don't have to I guess.
(newbie) Mon 13-Jul-20 23:04:32
Print Post

candlerb

the fundamental point of the CFP is it make a contribution per premse so if you do a fod and you pick up 8 you get the figures as you state - if the whole developement say is 100X you get the openreach contribtun by the number of premises meaning that if you live in an estate CFP will 1005 always be the better ansnwer (as it will cover all of the development - or should do

Thanks Fastman3. I discovered earlier today that 6 of 9 roads in my development has FTTP planned but the other 3 (of which I'm in) have no plans according to the openreach checker.

Have emailed Openreach and my query has been passed to the Infrastructure Solutions Executive Level Complaints Team. Will feedback on here and on kitz so others can benefit once I know more.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Sat 18-Jul-20 19:06:48
Print Post

Continuing on from my post in March. Our quote expired (exceeded the stipulated 27 days) while waiting on the rural gigabit broadband voucher to be approved (not sure why it took so long).

The RGBV has now been approved for the 2 business involved in our build and we have had another survey. Having to have another survey actually worked out well for us as we wanted to make some changes the the route the fibre was going to take from the previous survey (cutting down on the ducting required by approx 250m). This reduction in required duct is due to us incorporating older duct already in situ.

Openreach were out to resurvey on the 6th of July and sent costs off to the CP on the 9th. Amvia have yet to receive these new ECC's from the CP. Hoping this will happen this incoming week so we can get materials delivered from Openreach (duct and JF4 covers).

In the meantime we have built 2 of the 5 JF4's in anticipation and have began work on removing earth for the duct.

One had to be built around existing utility ducts, I am beginning to appreciate why the civil work associated with OD orders can cost so much lol
https://imgur.com/f7GlGcp
https://imgur.com/3aGc14t
https://imgur.com/7qZ4yvM
https://imgur.com/lYYHBO1

One of the other JF4's will be where the CBT is housed and is connected via two ducts to an adjacent JB23 BT box (this links into the existing duct system, it serves the 2 properties with original BT copper comms cable, as well as the rest of the properties on the farm for future FTTP native orders).
https://imgur.com/5oH9ui9
The concrete JF4's are actually a very good job, quick and easy to install!
https://imgur.com/rskzp7F
Standard User Nick_W789
(newbie) Sat 18-Jul-20 20:01:35
Print Post

One had to be built around existing utility ducts, I am beginning to appreciate why the civil work associated with OD orders can cost so much lol

When Openreach agreed your plans as part of the first quote, did they check the route and tell you about any utilities to avoid?
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Sat 18-Jul-20 20:55:02
Print Post

[re: Nick_W789] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nick_W789:

When Openreach agreed your plans as part of the first quote, did they check the route and tell you about any utilities to avoid?

At the survey stage all they did was make sure the existing BT ducts were clear and not blocked. The ducts should not have any other cables that aren't openreach/BT.

The location of utilities and what to avoid falls to us as it's on private property, Openreach didn't have on record the plans of the existing duct network they put in 30 plus years ago on the farm (maybe longer), which is why we avoided using it in our first survey. The time spent between the first and second survey was mapping out the existing openreach duct network and seeing its limitations and scope.

We or contracted builders put the other utility ducts in over the years (water, sewage, data/phone, oil, power etc to the various houses and outbuildings). So we have a rough idea of where things are (ideally now would be a good time to put their locations accurately on a map). It's really just a digger operator that knows what they're doing and someone on the ground to shout "STOP" when necessary lol.

Before the survey I came up with a map to show the surveyor our intended plans and to see whether he thought the route was workable. https://imgur.com/HoBBhNZ
(newbie) Thu 23-Jul-20 21:18:28
Print Post

So it turns out the my street and 2 others are not part of the project that is providing FTTP to the rest of the 9 street development. Apparently there wasn't enough budget in the original project to cover all the premises in the area.

Now, the promising news is that as a result of me and a few others contacting them, they are going to undertake a review of the original project and see if they can add my street and another to the original plans. The Infrastructure Solutions Executive Level Complants chap I'm in contact with has been quite helpful actually. He can't make guarantees but reckons
getting my street added is likely to be successful. Find out more in 2 weeks once the review has been done.

As it happens, an Openreach subcontractor checked all the BT boxes/ducts last week and they're all clear so that should hopefully be a positive too.

Will keep you all posted.

Edited by ChemistDude (Thu 23-Jul-20 21:32:45)

Standard User thash1zn1t
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 09:24:13
Print Post

Thanks again for the information, I rang Cerberus today to ask about the Gigabit voucher but its only available to home users if two or more do a joint order.

I don't need a router as i already have one. I thought you needed to buy some kind of termination device/router for the fibre but they supply an ONT or something so i just need to have a router with ethernet for the service.

I am going to put the order in tomorrow and wait and see what costs they come back with. i will update you as and when that happens.

Thanks

So I got the confirmed FTTP on Demand build charge back yesterday....not the best news as the original desktop quote was £6,200+VAT and the actual confirmed build charge is £8,153+vat!

broken down as follows

This includes the reduction for the survey and a deduction of £1,300.00 for premises passed. A breakdown of the charges is below:

Labour
£5,138.00
Contract Labour
£0.00
Civils
£750.00
Stores
£3,320.00
BT Connection Charge
£495.00
Deduction
£-1,300.00
Field Survey charge paid
£-250.00
Total
£8,153.00

So i have just over 25 days to decide if this is an investment i want to make or do i go 4G and chance it. My gut says that 4G will not be stable enough (ping/latency) for the gaming but will provide the bandwidth for the homeworking.
I will update on my decision as and when i reach it wink
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 30-Jul-20 15:30:18
Print Post

That's unfortunate. I get the impression that OR are either trying to discourage FTTPoD as it takes resources from Fibre First, or they are padding the costs to cover unforeseen problems, or perhaps a bit of both.

The 'properties passed' deduction implies that 12 properties would be enabled for FTTP (12x50 + 700). If you're served by a pole it's probably all properties on the same pole. If you can split costs with one other, *and* both get the gigabit voucher, then it becomes a less expensive proposition.

You can also share costs with someone who's nearby but not one of those 12, by submitting a linked FTTPoD order. This will need a new survey, and both participants pay the high first year's rental, but you still benefit from the vouchers and cost sharing.
Standard User thash1zn1t
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 18:21:49
Print Post

Yes i think you may be right on the costs given that they will probably have more issues in rural areas. You are correct in that there are 12 other cables coming from the pole right outside my house.
I may well try and see if anyone is interested but my neighbour is defo not up for it and thought i was mental wink. He may well be right!
Thanks for the advice on the cost saving, will give it some thought and maybe target likely candidates.
I am now buried in reviews for 4G LTE cat 6 antenna/modems to see what a viable alternative may cost me and how stable the connections can be given the right mast selection, direction of antenna and band choice. 4G clearly cant be as stable as a fixed fibre connection but could it be a viable option. Specifically thinking latency and stability for gaming rather than bandwidth as i know i have good 4G on EE up here.
decisions decisions.....
Standard User UKconfederate
(learned) Fri 31-Jul-20 12:59:29
Print Post

I've just placed an order for FTTPoD, when I say order I've paid the initial £250+vat fee, hoping that the desktop quote was wildly over the top.

Anyway, does anyone know what happens now I've paid for the survey quote? Do I need to be available to see any engineers when doing their survey or is it just wait until the fixed quote is sent to me by Cerberus?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Jul-20 13:04:36
Print Post

[re: UKconfederate] [link to this post]

Most surveys are done from the street, only if you've got a long drive that needs measuring will they be in touch

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Nick_W789
(learned) Fri 31-Jul-20 14:37:51
Print Post

[re: UKconfederate] [link to this post]

I've just had a survey for a 6 house linked FTTPoD. The engineer went to each house to survey and take photos of the intended location of the ONT and work out the internal fibre run - it took about 40 minutes in total. He then did his own thing down access chambers.
Standard User UKconfederate
(regular) Sat 01-Aug-20 08:48:12
Print Post

[re: Nick_W789] [link to this post]

Thank you both for replying, from your replies I suspect the engineer won't need to call at my house as it's next to the main road but time will tell.

I shall now just sit and wait to see what happens, Cerberus have updated my order and say the planned delivery date is the 12th Oct., so I have a little while to wait for my fixed quote.

Edited by UKconfederate (Sat 01-Aug-20 08:49:09)

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Aug-20 09:11:00
Print Post

Have you considered keeping the FTTC just for gaming and going 4G for everything else?

Standard User thash1zn1t
(newbie) Sat 01-Aug-20 09:39:26
Print Post

I hadn't thought of that purely because the FTTC upload is about 1mb and didn't think it would be good enough but i guess if it was only used for gaming that could work. Thanks for the tip.

I was wondering if i didn't go for the FTTPoD now would the build charge quote still be valid in a few months time or would i have to spend another £250+vat for another one at that point in the future?
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Sat 01-Aug-20 10:55:19
Print Post

I hadn't thought of that purely because the FTTC upload is about 1mb and didn't think it would be good enough but i guess if it was only used for gaming that could work. Thanks for the tip.

I was wondering if i didn't go for the FTTPoD now would the build charge quote still be valid in a few months time or would i have to spend another £250+vat for another one at that point in the future?

Once I had an FTTPoD "order" with confirmed build costs it had to be accepted (and paid for) within 28 days to be valid otherwise it expired. This was from Cerberus.
Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Sat 01-Aug-20 13:46:35
Print Post

think its the wrong question - think the shoudl be back to openreach if you done 6 of the 9 roads (what programme did you do that under why have you not done the other three roads and completed all the development
Standard User Whitehall11
(newbie) Sun 02-Aug-20 23:22:13
Print Post

Hi all,

We are awaiting a survey from Openreach for a FTTPOD order.

They have currently built a new infill Cabinet about 100m from my house at the moment, fed from new ducts and OH Fibre on the telegraphs above, running to an Agg Node nearly 2km away.

From reading the messages here, is it likely OR will simply run a fiber cable alongside this from the Agg node and then install some more fibre for the final 100m stretch? (as this would be a new build)

Or to save money and time, use the new infrastructure installed for this new cabinet?
Standard User thash1zn1t
(newbie) Mon 03-Aug-20 08:31:07
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:

Once I had an FTTPoD "order" with confirmed build costs it had to be accepted (and paid for) within 28 days to be valid otherwise it expired. This was from Cerberus.

Yes and I guess if I did not order it now then they would treat a future request as completely new so it would be another desktop quote and then another £250+vat for a new survey. Has anyone on here been in that situation? Would they re-use the original survey or have to do a new one? The reason I am thinking this is that I may want try 4G with antenna to see if it would be fast enough/stable enough as a much cheaper alternative to 10 grand
Standard User kommando
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-20 13:55:06
Print Post

I went the 4G route 2 years ago, I have 2 4G routers feeding into a Draytek dual wan router, both 4g routers are in bridge mode. Each router is pointed at a different mast so if one goes down the Draytek automatically moves 100% on to the other. That has happened this morning, the Three mast is toast but still have 20mb download from the voda mast. When the Three mast comes back then it will be 80mb down 40mb up. Only ever had both masts down together once for 4 hours. Now I only have a 2 year wait for FTTP instead of FTTPOD over 4km.

I am lucky with Three and have never had the mast congestion issues endemic in their network, if I did then I would use EE on that router as its a shared mast.
Standard User pipcoo
(learned) Mon 03-Aug-20 14:35:30
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

Hi Kommando I`m interested in your set up as this sounds like it would be of benefit in my situation, I`d be grateful if you could give me more detail such as router model numbers and how it is all connected. Please PM me so as not to hijack the thread. Many thanks
Standard User kommando
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-20 14:55:38
Print Post

[re: pipcoo] [link to this post]

PM sent.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Mon 03-Aug-20 17:09:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:

Yes and I guess if I did not order it now then they would treat a future request as completely new so it would be another desktop quote and then another £250+vat for a new survey. Has anyone on here been in that situation? Would they re-use the original survey or have to do a new one? The reason I am thinking this is that I may want try 4G with antenna to see if it would be fast enough/stable enough as a much cheaper alternative to 10 grand

I can confirm that we had to get a resurvey after the 28 days were up. This was even though we had full intention of going ahead with the original order.

I think it's due to chance that prices fluctuate but can't be sure!

They may not have to come out to site, but will need to run the numbers again
Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-20 17:37:31
Print Post

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

whitehall

From reading the messages here, is it likely OR will simply run a fiber cable alongside this from the Agg node and then install some more fibre for the final 100m stretch? (as this would be a new build)

Or to save money and time, use the new infrastructure installed for this new cabinet?

100% the former

as they are two separate technologies

FTTC just can uses something called BFT (Blown fibre tubing)

FTTP has to get back to aggregation no9de and then a path back to headend

so there wll be a path from the termination point (CBT) then to splitter back to the aggregation node and then to headend
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 03-Aug-20 18:58:19
Print Post

I can confirm that we had to get a resurvey after the 28 days were up. This was even though we had full intention of going ahead with the original order.

Out of interest, was your second quote the same as the first, or higher or lower?
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Mon 03-Aug-20 19:15:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:

Out of interest, was your second quote the same as the first, or higher or lower?

It's up in the air at the minute. Our surveyor came out on the 6th of July to resurvey, sent off their costs on the 9th to the CP, the surveyor couldn't tell me what the costs were because he has to send them up the chain and isn't actually sure if what I receive as estimated construction charges from the CP are the same as what he sends off.

Long story short, I emailed Amvia on the 20th of July to see if they had received the costs sent over to them on the 9th by the surveyor (I'm assuming Amvia are indeed the CP(?)). They replied to say they didn't have anything from openreach and it was still with the Openreach's planning team (very strange I thought).

I Left it at that and was going to chase the following week. Then, out of the blue, the surveyor text me on the 24th of July to say the cost had been accepted with zero additional costs (we had already paid Amvia the amount on the first quote).

I still to this day have not heard from Amvia to let me know that the order went through and is going ahead and whether we are due a partial refund (due to needing less duct for the project) or the costs are remaining the same.

The 450m of duct, bends and junction box covers arrived via lorry today and KN networks (working on behalf of Openreach) were out to look at the JF4 they have to build beside our field on the roadside, they are due to complete it within the next week. So things are progressing quite rapidly without Amvia it seems lol
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Mon 03-Aug-20 19:23:20
Print Post

I'm not sure FTTC and FTTP at the fibre level are two separate technologies, I reckon FTTP uses a lot of blown fibre tubing and an FTTC cabinet has to connect to an aggregation node to get back to the head end. Typically in more rural areas Openreach are now installing subtended head end (SHE) FTTP where a local FTTC cab uses 4 extra fibres from the exchange with additional hardware installed (OLT/PON cards) to become the head end for up to 1024 FTTP premises. See this thread on Kitz

Kitz_link

It is a bit of a rambling thread but SHE is mentioned.

However if FTTPoD is in play you can guarantee Openreach will quote for a new fibre from the agg node and want many thousands of £.frown
(newbie) Tue 04-Aug-20 09:18:39
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

This is really interesting but exactly what i feared. I kind of hoped that if they'd already dragged fibre 2000m from the AG Node to my new cabinet, i'd be able to jump on this, since it goes through several joints!
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 04-Aug-20 12:37:07
Print Post

How do you know it has joints? It certainly will pass through multiple pull-points (underground chambers), but they could have pulled one long sub-duct and blown the fibre through that, which is what they did for my FTTPoD.

If the ducts are known to be clear and roped, pulling another sub-duct shouldn't be an issue as long as there's space for it.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know what it will cost short of placing an order.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Wed 05-Aug-20 19:54:19
Print Post

We have some progress!

Duct has been delivered on Monday (3/08/2020) and we have started to duct up the field towards the two properties.
https://imgur.com/zBHkUQQ - Going at a depth of at least 2.5ft
https://imgur.com/RtfHduG - Nothing like a wet summer in NI

The civil contractors were also out on Monday to build the JF4 on the opposite side of the road to the node (thankfully there was a pre-existing duct than ran under the road).
https://imgur.com/yCpjZJ7 - Shuttered JF4
https://imgur.com/EvH1CAe - Shuttering was removed on Tuesday which revealed the original copper BT cable that was direct buried from here to the properties, pretty impressed they didn't sever it).
https://imgur.com/968SACg - JF4 in background and path that duct took to meet our field under fresh tarmac.
https://imgur.com/uBfNS46 - Duct meeting our ranch fence at farm boundary.

Edited by steveham (Wed 05-Aug-20 20:29:34)

Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Thu 06-Aug-20 13:51:59
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

I'm not sure FTTC and FTTP at the fibre level are two separate technologies, I reckon FTTP uses a lot of blown fibre tubing and an FTTC cabinet has to connect to an aggregation node to get back to the head end.

this is Incorrect FTTC uses blown Fibre tubing and FTTC do not had to go back to aggregation nodes

FTTP does not uses blown fibre tubing and has to to find a path back to the nearest aggregation node and then to the Headend where the FTTP terminates
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Aug-20 16:36:26
Print Post

FTTC do not had to go back to aggregation nodes
So I am clear are you trying to say that not all FTTC cabinets are connected via an aggregation node?
(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-20 21:25:27
Print Post

Surely it would be cost effective for openreach simply to tap a FTTC Cabinets fibre for FTTP?
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Aug-20 22:27:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Whitehall11:
Surely it would be cost effective for openreach simply to tap a FTTC Cabinets fibre for FTTP?
I refer you to the post below
In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
in more rural areas Openreach are now installing subtended head end (SHE) FTTP where a local FTTC cab uses 4 extra fibres from the exchange with additional hardware installed (OLT/PON cards) to become the head end for up to 1024 FTTP premises. See this thread on Kitz

Kitz_link

It is a bit of a rambling thread but SHE is mentioned.

However if FTTPoD is in play you can guarantee Openreach will quote for a new fibre from the agg node and want many thousands of £.frown
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Aug-20 22:28:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Whitehall11:

For a single order maybe, for the future build cost of the network probably not.
It could also complicate the network in the future.

They strategically placed the Aggregation Nodes deliberately with a future FTTP rollout in mind, ideally both their location and coverage
An Aggregation Node can serve around 1400 homes with FTTP.
An Aggregation Node usually serves 3 or 4 FTTC cabinets, depending on the area.
Ideally the number of homes those cabinets serves is under 1400, that way the single Aggregation Node placed for FTTC all those years ago is all that's needed for FTTP in the future.

I'm most cases there aren't enough spare fibres at the FTTC cabinet to serve all the homes that cabinet covers.

It might be cheaper for a single FTTPoD order to source the fibre from an FTTC cabinet but OpenReach build the network for an FTTPoD order in the same way as they build native FTTP.
OpenReach won't want a mix of different routing for FTTPoD and FTTP lines.
In years to come it could be very confusing if random splitters were fed from completely different directions to every other splitter in the area because of an old FTTPoD order.

There's already going to be ducting between the Aggregation Node and the FTTC cabinet so it's usually an easy job to take the fibre that route, without touching the FTTC cabinet or its spare fibres.

OpenReach do actually take fibres from the FTTC cabinet for FTTP in some rural deployments.

They can also add a Subtended Head End (new hardware) to the FTTC cabinet and serve upto 1024 homes with FTTP from there.
These again aren't the standard build types (at the moment) so won't be how many (if any) FTTPoD orders are built.
(newbie) Sun 09-Aug-20 23:05:30
Print Post

On Wednesday we had some Openreach workers onsite doing final checks on the ducts:
https://i.imgur.com/DJTmPULl.jpg

I went over for a chat and they said that the plans have been updated to include all streets in the development and that this is now a "high escalation" project with works commencing in 2-3 weeks. I don't want to get my hopes up too much so I've emailed my Openreach contact in the Infrastructure Solutions Executive Level Complants team for an update as that review should have taken place by now. Hopefully getting a response early this week.

I had also contacted West Yorkshire Combined Authority (Superfast West Yorkshire) and they have also been in contact with Openreach to request that all streets be covered. The chap I had been in contact with called me to say that Openreach have decided it is a no brainer to cover my street. Again I'll wait for official confirmation from my Openreach contact before getting too excited.

I for one will be absolutely amazed if it is the case that I have managed to get Openreach to both include my street and simultaneously ultra fast track the fibre roll out. Lets see what happens in the coming few weeks!!!

Edited by ChemistDude (Mon 10-Aug-20 07:38:44)

Standard User APTMAN
(member) Mon 10-Aug-20 10:55:43
Print Post

Bad link !.
(newbie) Mon 10-Aug-20 21:49:12
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

So something strange happened today. Lots of Openreach vans showed up!
https://i.imgur.com/4d0jKvRl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nWpKHhQl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/H6XdJ1nl.jpg

It seems they've laid fibre in my street! I spoke to one of the installers I spoke to last week when they were checking the ducts. He advised that it would be all connected up to the aggregation node in 3 days and that I should be able to order FTTP in a few weeks time.

I called my contact in Openreach and he advised it would be best to take what the workers on site say with a pinch of salt and to wait till he's heard back from the delivery manager. Still waiting for official confirmation but you can't argue with the fact that they have actually laid the fibre cable today! Lets see what the next few days brings.

HIGH ESCALATION INDEED!!!

Edited by ChemistDude (Mon 10-Aug-20 23:12:08)

Standard User flilot
(regular) Mon 10-Aug-20 22:28:32
Print Post

Just to let you know, your direct imgur links aren't working, when clicked on they take you to a page without the .jpg extension and report an error. If you add .jpg to the end of the url in the browser address bar manually they work fine.

Carl
(committed) Mon 10-Aug-20 22:34:18
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

Strange, the work fine for me (on iphone).
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Aug-20 23:08:18
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flilot:

Just to let you know, your direct imgur links aren't working, when clicked on they take you to a page without the .jpg extension and report an error. If you add .jpg to the end of the url in the browser address bar manually they work fine.
Looks like they haven't been added to the post via the 'Link' option, just been pasted to the body of text which I suspect is causing this issue.
(newbie) Mon 10-Aug-20 23:14:07
Print Post

Cheers, I've re-added them using the 'Link' option.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to