General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cm192
(newbie) Fri 14-Feb-20 22:00:26
Print Post

My FTTP install

[link to this post]

Evening all, interested to see if anyone has had a similar experience and the outcome.

Several months ago I noticed Openreach installing overhead fibre in my area, I spoke with one of the guys installing it and he said it should be live in coming months.
Fast forward to the end of January and I made an order, migrating from Sky to BT on the full fibre product.

I was given an install date for today 14th Feb.
The first problem was the engineer never showed up for the 8am - 1pm slot, I called BT and was told that the allocated engineer was unable to visit but someone would be with me. At 2pm I had a call from an Openreach engineer telling me he would be with me by 3pm.

3pm and the engineer turns up, happy days finally going to have a good connection. He made measurements outside the house, up to the existing copper line and then told me it was below their minimum install height. Ok fair enough so what happens now.....you need a new pole. Ok but the house 6 doors down have a fibre connection on a pole the same height, the engineer told me it was probably a platform install............ok lets arrange that? Still said the pole needs changed, filled in some paperwork and tagged the pole to be changed, told me to call BT and explain to them, which I have done but they can't do anything at the minute. I am expecting a call tomorrow morning.

I've no fixed line connection as it stands, it's not the end of the world but its frustrating.

I'm wondering has anyone had a similar experience and what the outcome was? I can't really see a new pole being installed in a few days.

Thanks
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 15-Feb-20 08:57:03
Print Post

Re: My FTTP install

[re: cm192] [link to this post]

Will the line need to go over a road to the pole? There is a minimum height requirement for safety which may require either the current pole replacing or an additional pole to maintain the height.
Standard User cm192
(newbie) Sat 15-Feb-20 10:44:02
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Yes it will need to cross the road.
I understand the minimum height for that but with a house a few doors down from me having the same install surely they're in a position to do the same for me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 15-Feb-20 10:59:28
Print Post

Does the line to the other house cross the road? Is it at the same level as yours in relation to the pole and road?
If the minimum height cannot be acheieved then only a new pole or additional pole is going to achieve it.
Maybe it isnt a height issue but the pole is unsafe to climb or out if test and there is no platform available, possibly due to storm damage demands

Edited by witchunt (Sat 15-Feb-20 11:01:10)

Standard User cm192
(newbie) Sat 15-Feb-20 11:30:25
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

The pole that feeds my house is actually on slightly higher ground with my house being on the same level as the one further down the street. Yes it crosses the road also.
Granted it's on a slightly sloping corner surely a survey would of been carried out first, failing that an access platform could be brought in.
I live in Northern Ireland, it's a small country and we haven't had much storm damage.

Frustrating that I've no service at all, for some reason even my copper line isn't working now so I've no landline either.

Edited by cm192 (Sat 15-Feb-20 11:39:38)

Standard User cm192
(newbie) Fri 21-Feb-20 19:28:57
Print Post

Just an update to what has been happening with this install.

Openreach carried out survey during the week.

Pole confirmed to be changed.

BT ask me for £36 as the cost of replacing the pole is over their set amount (approx £3500)
I laughed at this and they waived it.

Awaiting a call tomorrow (22nd) to confirm dates.

So far they seem to be on top of it, have a copper connection enabled so at least I have some service back.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Sat 22-Feb-20 22:14:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by cm192:
BT ask me for £36 as the cost of replacing the pole is over their set amount (approx £3500)
I read somewhere (maybe someone posted on this forum) that a pole install\replacement cost around £600.
Standard User oldskool
(member) Sun 23-Feb-20 09:27:13
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

BT are replacing poles in my town, as you mentioned replacements, is that a strong indicator of a full fibre roll out?

Thanks

Edited by oldskool (Sun 23-Feb-20 09:27:24)

Standard User dect
(experienced) Sun 23-Feb-20 09:47:02
Print Post

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by oldskool:
BT are replacing poles in my town, as you mentioned replacements, is that a strong indicator of a full fibre roll out?

Thanks
It could be something or nothing, Openreach do replace poles before planned FTTP rollouts (or maybe a FTTPoD installation) but they also do pole replacements due to routine maintenance. Others may make suggestions how you can check if there is a commercial or BDUK planned rollout of FTTP.
Standard User cm192
(newbie) Sun 23-Feb-20 13:39:20
Print Post

I wouldn't say its a strong indicator because they came here 3 months ago and installed the fibre......only for my install to be postponed due to the pole.

It is possible they've done their due diligence in your case and that the replacements are in fact for fibre roll out.

If only they had of done that here I'd be on 300meg now rather than 3meg.
Standard User E300
(learned) Sun 23-Feb-20 15:00:03
Print Post

When I had a survey for FTTP on Demand the surveyor was here for 2 days, the second day they were surveying two roads going off mine. The surveyor left on 3 telegraph poles pre-planning notices for new poles to be erected opposite the existing ones. I assumed it was related to FTTP and enabling more premises at the same time.

Well a year later and no new poles and the planning notices are just white sheets of some sort of waterproof paper, the text has long since faded away!
Standard User oldskool
(member) Sun 23-Feb-20 20:44:29
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

Interesting. My town was one of the rural towns announced in jan to be getting fttp

Iím hoping the two are connected and pole replacements this soon since the announcement means fttp is going to be here sooner rather than later

Edited by oldskool (Sun 23-Feb-20 20:44:58)

Standard User cm192
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-20 22:46:52
Print Post

Contractors turned up today and installed new 11 metre pole.
Took them about 6 hours.

Now I have to wait until Monday to get a date to complete the FTTP install.
Standard User cm192
(newbie) Sat 14-Mar-20 08:55:36
Print Post

Final update from me on this install.

Engineer was booked for Thursday 12th March, turned up on time and did a great job.

Short time later I now have a constant 280 connection.

So from 26th Jan to 12th March for my install to be completed including a new pole wasn't overly bad.

Roughly £200+ compensation from BT and a free wi-fi hub also.

Hopefully this will be of some help to anyone else who faces the same issue.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to