General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User neilhewett1976
(newbie) Fri 21-Feb-20 12:48:05
Print Post

North Norfolk Getting there!! or is it

[link to this post]

Hi there, Very curious about what people think about this does it always boil down to money? or are there other explanations?

There are (including mine) countless small businesses in this part of the world I, myself and family, have moved away from the hustle and bustle of the big smoke for a more peaceful slower life. Staring a new venture.

More and more people are starting their businesses and running them from home, contending with others in the house on their multiple devices watching Netflix, playing Roblox, watching videos on cooking or facebook, while a film downloads. This is one house on my street and can be 4 people at one time on the internet. So any predicted download speeds become a more realising half or a third of that or lower during peek times. Having access to over 300Mbps from Virgin is definitely missed.

I live in a small village between two exchanges, Roughton, Chapel Road NR11, which is connected to Hanworth (EAHWO). Now this is only until the last 5-10 years been able to get 20-40Mbps. But not that further away is Cromer - (EACRO), which has FTTP. (a quick speed test with only me in the house shows (36.5Mbps down and 7.3Mbps up).

Now, correct me if i am wrong, but I would suspect (as i saw workmen many years ago plating a cable from Norwich to Aylsham along the A140), that the cable infrastructure runs along a main road network from a larger central telephone exchange. I presume Norwich is a main one in North Norfolk and the cabelling then routes out "tree like" to the other towns and villages in this area.

So why, if there is FTTP at a point past my village, how come the exchange that i am on was not FTTP enabled also ?

Is there anyway of finding out when or if this exchange is going to be enabled for FTTP or H, i to believe, even with the GOV promises for better BB speeds in rural areas, that 5G will be here before any better BB options
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Feb-20 14:01:58
Print Post

Re: North Norfolk Getting there!! or is it

[re: neilhewett1976] [link to this post]

Usually smaller local exchanges only handle your telephony and ADSL broadband.

Fibre services (both FTTC and FTTP) tend to come from larger more centralised exchanges.

So your copper line could run to your local exchange but the fibre feeding your local fibre cabinet goes in another direction to the largest local exchange.

The fact fibre runs down a road somewhere has zero bearing on where FTTP is available. It's just a link between 2 points and you can't just tap in to it.

Fibre branches out from these larger Fibre exchanges to kit called Aggregation Nodes.
It branches from these to Fibre cabinets or homes.

An exchange showing as having FTTP enabled doesn't mean everyone on that exchange has access to it. Far from it.

To be FTTP enabled OpenReach need to intentionally run it past your property with the purpose of customers ordering.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Feb-20 14:03:36
Print Post

Cabling running past you doesn't make any difference to you getting FTTP. Otherwise all FTTP rollouts would start from the exchange and radiate outwards. In actuality Openreach will take many things into account to decide where is the best place to enable. Running an FTTP spine is relatively simple - it is the connection of all the end points that is more intensive and so a spine passing you isn't that big a part of the puzzle.

In the end Openreach are working off various models to decide where is the next place to do FTTP. We don't have access to those models (they would be commercially sensitive as Openreach are competing with other suppliers) and so can't tell what those decision points are.

Also, an exchange being enabled could potentially mean that 1 premises has FTTP (it is unlikely but it could). Pretty much no FTTP enabled exchange has all premises also FTTP enabled - some will be and some won't - even if your neighbour has FTTP it doesn't guarantee that you would.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Feb-20 14:10:40
Print Post

Cromer 1.8% of premises can order FTTP, so somewhere saying exchange is enabled means very little

On your issue, look into why at peak times your speeds drop from the 36 Mbps to around the half you mention. Changing ISP might help, or finding out what everyone is doing, rather than saying they are doing or fixing wifi issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Fri 21-Feb-20 15:39:03
Print Post

Have you checked on the Better Broadband For Norolk website? https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/what-we-do-and-how-we-wor...
Standard User neilhewett1976
(newbie) Fri 21-Feb-20 15:44:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

if all the cables run to a BT exchange and BT or openreach or whoever, own those cables, why change supplier? apart from cost, its still running to the same green box then exchange??
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Feb-20 16:21:15
Print Post

There are many factors in determining one's speeds, the Openreach cables between you and the exchange being some of many. Changing ISPs can change backhaul from the exchange and also how and where your connection hits and interacts with the internet.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Feb-20 17:02:24
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Unlikely to see FTTP via the BDUK project if they have superfast FTTC already

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Feb-20 17:03:38
Print Post

Same cables to the cabinet and fibre to the handover point, but from that handover point what each provider buys/does with regards to capacity can have an impact.

Remember the Internet for the whole world is not in your local exchange.

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 21-Feb-20 17:22:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Remember the Internet for the whole world is not in your local exchange.

Indeed - it's in a box smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to