General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User imroberts
(newbie) Wed 26-Feb-20 03:35:42
Print Post

BTW FTTC Speeds

[link to this post]

I currently have FTTC 80/20 broadband (BTW based) however I only receive speeds around 25/5 due to where I live.

My question is; if I were to change to a 55/10 or even a 40/10 based product (still BTW based, so essentially just a change in Wholesale product), would I still get the same 25/5 speeds I do currently, or would I likely get proportionally less?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Feb-20 06:10:12
Print Post

Re: BTW FTTC Speeds

[re: imroberts] [link to this post]

Nope, Itd be the same.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Feb-20 08:31:20
Print Post

Agree with Zarjaz.

You were poorly advised to take 80/20 in the first place and should get yourself on the cheapest FTTC product your ISP can provide asap.

If you are still in contract on 80/20, I would push back at the ISP saying that they should have advised you to be on the lower speed product when you took the contract out with them

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BLaZiNgSPEED
(member) Wed 26-Feb-20 08:56:14
Print Post

Such a service that does give you such low speed estimates should not allow you to be able to order such package!!!

On Onestream you can select this package..

Recommended - Fibre Broadband
Jetstream Fibre Unlimited Broadband Including Line Rental
20 - 20 Mb Estimated download speed
2 Mb Estimated upload speed
20 Mb Minimum guaranteed download connection speed

Now I know this will probably give you 5Mbps less than the normal and 3Mbps less than the estimate compared to the 38 Mb package but it will cost £19.99 instead of the £22.99.

You will save £3 per month but will get 5Mbps less with that package and 3Mbps less upload. I don't know if it is worth it, you can decide. But it does seem a little bit more rational. I'm not sure if it is worth paying £3 more to get 25 Mbps instead of 20 Mbps.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Feb-20 10:54:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by imroberts:
I currently have FTTC 80/20 broadband (BTW based) however I only receive speeds around 25/5 due to where I live.

My question is; if I were to change to a 55/10 or even a 40/10 based product (still BTW based, so essentially just a change in Wholesale product), would I still get the same 25/5 speeds I do currently, or would I likely get proportionally less?

post back what does btw estimates say for your line, removed your telephone number
Standard User imroberts
(newbie) Wed 26-Feb-20 19:18:32
Print Post

Apologies for the formatting but I think all the pertinent information should be clear

Featured Products RAG WBC FTTC Availability WBC SOGEA Availability Reason Code Capacity Date Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps) Left In Jumper
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) Green Enabled Enabled G - 36.6 21.7 7.6 5.2 18 -
VDSL Range B (Impacted) Green Enabled Enabled G - 35 18 7.5 4.8 14 -
Featured Products RAG WBC FTTP Availability Reason Code Capacity Date Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Line Range in Mbps
FTTP on Demand Green Enabled - Z - 330 30 - -
ADSL Products RAG Service Availability Reason Code Capacity Date Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Line Range in Mbps Left In Jumper
WBC Green Enabled - G - Up to 9 - 8 - 9.5 -
WBC(Annex-M) Green Enabled - G - Up to 9 Up to 1 8 - 9.5 -
WBC Fixed Rate Green Enabled - G - Up to 2 - - -
WBC Rate Adaptive Green Enabled - G - Up to 2 - - -
Max Green Enabled - G - Up to 8 - 7 - 8 -
Fixed Rate Green Enabled - G - Up to 2 - - -
Rate Adaptive Green Enabled - G - Up to 2 - - -
Other Offerings RAG Service Availability
ADSL Multicast - Enabled - - - - - - -
VDSL Multicast - Enabled - - - - - - -
Observed Speeds VDSL
RangeA Base Upstream Bandwidth (Mbps) 4.38
RangeB Base Upstream Bandwidth (Mbps) 3.66
Upper Downstream Observed Speed (Mbps) 23.23
Lower Downstream Observed Speed (Mbps) 21.23
Upper Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps) 5.1
Lower Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps) 3.09
Downstream DLM Profile Cap 80Mbit/s
Upstream DLM Profile Cap 20Mbit/s
DLM Policy Standard
Last Observed Date 2020-02-17
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Feb-20 21:14:46
Print Post

Estimates confirm no point on being on anything more than a 40/10 product.

Dropping from 80/20 to 40/10 should not impact sync speeeds

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blxm
(newbie) Thu 12-Mar-20 14:19:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I am curious to know how to work that out. I;m also on a FTTC package with BT but dont believe i ever get that advertised 200Mbps speed. How would I generate those stats and then analyse them?
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Mar-20 14:25:27
Print Post

[re: blxm] [link to this post]

FTTC has a maximum speed of 80Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. The actual speed will depend on the package you have bought, your distance fromthe FTTC cabinet, the quality and thickness of the cable between your property and the cab,and the level of cross-talk with other users in the same cable bundle.
Standard User blxm
(newbie) Thu 12-Mar-20 14:41:11
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. Maybe that is why every ISP except BT offers me speeds <80. BT's own test from Hub to Exchange a few minutes ago gives a result of >200. How can I determine if it is actually FTTC or something else? Sorry for the newbie questions,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Mar-20 14:52:38
Print Post

Tell us the name of the package you are paying BT consumer for.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blxm
(newbie) Thu 12-Mar-20 14:54:12
Print Post

Superfast Fibre 3 Unlimited
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 12-Mar-20 16:11:33
Print Post

Is that a G.Fast package?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Mar-20 18:33:19
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Believe that was a name used at one time for the G.fast service, which some do call a FTTC service (since it is).

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Mar-20 18:35:28
Print Post

What hardware do you have for the service if its G.fast based (which based on name is most likely)

A speed test from https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest on a PC connected via an Ethernet cable to the router when no-one else is using the connection will give some idea of what the connection is capable of. Posting the Share Results link will let others look at the graphs too and say if it looks like running well or not.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Thu 12-Mar-20 18:39:24
Print Post

blxm

Do a speed test from this site and post the results, Andrew ( or others) can see what you are getting and explain anything odd.

Do it wired to your router while no other machines are connected and exit from any cloud services first to prevent other programs using some bandwidth.

edit Sorry Andrew you posted while I was typing!

Edited by kitcat (Thu 12-Mar-20 18:41:39)

Standard User blxm
(newbie) Thu 12-Mar-20 21:20:07
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Thanks so much

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15840471522...

Hardware is like so
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kLzHpLA73wEXYLAW8
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Mar-20 21:49:26
Print Post

Actually FTTP

The dip at the end of the download and uplaod test suggests your connection also started to move some traffic from another device.

You are on a Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) product nothing to do with FTTC or G.fast

This service has a fixed connection speed so there are no connection stats to look at.

There are two FTTP speeds sold by BT retail the 145 Mbps average speed and 250 Mbps average

Your speed test result for the download speed fits in with being on the 3 product (145 Mbps average) with 160 Mbps top speed. The 250 Mbps would be the 4 product. Names have now changed to be ultrafast 1 and ultrafast 2 respectively.

The hardware picture confirms things - you have an Openreach ONT (modem) the PON led confirms this, since FTTP is delivered using PON as in GPON.

Edited by MrSaffron (Thu 12-Mar-20 21:49:57)

Standard User blxm
(newbie) Thu 12-Mar-20 22:20:14
Print Post

Re: Actually FTTP

Thanks very much. That's really useful info - I had no idea. Was convinced it was copper to just outside the house then a small section if fibre to the ONT.
Time to shop about. The original BT offer was sweetened with a nice discount but unaffordable now. It doesnt help that the products are renamed so often.
Thank you!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to