General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aarong96
(newbie) Mon 09-Mar-20 16:27:39
Print Post

FTTP to FTTP Migration

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm relatively tech savvy & work as a engineer for a mobile network.

However I'm trying to get my head around how a FTTP to FTTP migration should work. From reading online and here, alongside speaking with BT & Zen - it sounds like it is not possible to migrate/transfer these services in the same way that a FTTC connection works. Where you inform the new provider and they cancel with the older provider and implemente new services.

Essentially we've already got the fibre cable to the house & the ONT installed, with existing provider ZEN.

We are looking at switching to the devil, BT - purely based on price. Unfortunately. Zen are unable to compete.

But I'm left feeling if we cancel services with Zen, we could be in a situation of no broadband - if BT turn around and say we can't see your address on our database or something silly.

I've also read that it should be possible to have multiple FTTP providers/connections over the same cable?

Does anyone have any experience of switching FTTP providers and what should be expected?

Thanks,
Aaron
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Mar-20 16:32:34
Print Post

Re: FTTP to FTTP Migration

[re: aarong96] [link to this post]

It ought to be a change on software only ...

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4635847-re...

Is along the same lines

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Mon 09-Mar-20 17:58:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Dont know why the OP would cancel in order to migrate.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aarong96
(newbie) Mon 09-Mar-20 18:02:57
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

So speaking with BT today, they advised as the line has a active connection - they are unable to place a new order or migrate services. I would need to cancel with Zen, at which point I could order with BT.

But BT... so likely wrong.

Edited by aarong96 (Mon 09-Mar-20 18:03:13)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Mar-20 18:17:12
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Dont know why the OP would cancel in order to migrate.

Agreed .... it should just be a migration.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Mar-20 19:14:10
Print Post

What makes you think you have to cancel with Zen?

The notification that you are migrating will trigger the account closure, and using the migration systems helps to avoid long periods of down time which used to happen when people tried to do it all by hand.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User beefcakechipz
(regular) Mon 09-Mar-20 19:33:16
Print Post

Do not not cancel smile

What MrSaffron said is correct, my friend has FTTP and he is switching from plusnet to zen, he was told it takes 15 days to complete the switch.
The switch is no different to FTTC .. well the only difference is the switch takes a few days longer.

Edited by beefcakechipz (Mon 09-Mar-20 19:41:26)

Standard User Mygri
(member) Tue 10-Mar-20 15:09:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What makes you think you have to cancel with Zen?

The notification that you are migrating will trigger the account closure, and using the migration systems helps to avoid long periods of down time which used to happen when people tried to do it all by hand.

I'm in the process of transferring from Cerberus to Aquiss because of the pending Cerberus price increase, so I've found this topic to be of some interest.

My first reaction is 'what migration system?' I've been charged £30 disconnect fee by Cerberus as I was out of contract and they then take 1 calender month to relinquish the line. Aquiss advised that they can't implement their service until Cerberus releases the line. That's due tomorrow (11th March) and I simply have to enter my new username and password into the router to reconnect.

To overcome any hiatus my Zyxel router has 4G failover, via a 4G dongle. (I'm having some difficulty getting them to talk to each other, but that's another story ... )

As far as I'm aware, my ECI ONT is single port, so there's no scope for running two providers in parallel.

I was pleased with the service from Cerberus until this cropped up; I have to say they have managed to sour my impression of them ...
Standard User brookheather
(member) Tue 10-Mar-20 21:21:00
Print Post

I am currently with Cerberus and discussed with Zen moving my FTTP line - they said I would have to cancel my Cerberus FTTP before they could place an order so there would probably be a day or so of downtime before the new service was activated. Zen would only be able to place the new FTTP order once the FTTP line was released from Cerberus. Shame there isn't a proper FTTP migration process in place yet.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User Mygri
(member) Wed 11-Mar-20 16:02:07
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

Hi brookheather,

Completely agree about about the need for a proper migration process. As per my post yesterday, I had to cancel my Cerberus service, pay for the 'privilege' and then wait a month. I signed up with Aquiss, who have provided exemplary support throughout.

Today, Aquiss got off to a flying start - Cerberus ceased the line at around midnight, and I duly entered my new username & password into the router. Still no joy by 7am, so I messaged Aquiss support who explained that they couldn't process the order with Openreach until the Cerberus cease. Reconnection was unlikely until tomorrow; lo and behold, just before 3pm, all the lights came on and we were up and running!

Full marks + to Aquiss!

Despite our good fortune in this instance, there is no reason for the lack of a proper migration process. There are too many companies hiding behind the 'we're providing a business-level service' excuse, nor should being out of contract be a loophole.

Here endeth the rant!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to