General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chipmunk77
(newbie) Wed 25-Mar-20 13:59:26
Print Post

Re: FTTP 500 & 1Gb Prices are out

[re: rman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rman:
Was you already a BT customer?

Yeah, it was just a speed regrade 300>1000. Was supposed to go through yesterday, so hoping it's just an admin delay, rather than needing engineers at some point in the chain.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Wed 25-Mar-20 14:07:57
Print Post

[re: Chipmunk77] [link to this post]

That might possibly explain why I've been advised 7-10 working days then by a different ISP, as I thought it should be a fairly simple change to just regrade the connection speed. Interesting to know, although delays of course aren't ideal.

Edited by Ixel (Wed 25-Mar-20 14:08:16)

Standard User ravingkamikaze2
(newbie) Wed 25-Mar-20 16:28:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chipmunk77:

Yeah, it was just a speed regrade 300>1000. Was supposed to go through yesterday, so hoping it's just an admin delay, rather than needing engineers at some point in the chain.

I have just spoken with someone from BT who advised the team dealing with the line regrades is in lockdown and any regrades are being delayed - I was also under the impression that the speed regrade would be a background change and would have thought that it would be available for any of their team that were homeworking?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User puntoboy
(regular) Wed 25-Mar-20 16:33:38
Print Post

[re: ravingkamikaze2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ravingkamikaze2:

I have just spoken with someone from BT who advised the team dealing with the line regrades is in lockdown and any regrades are being delayed - I was also under the impression that the speed regrade would be a background change and would have thought that it would be available for any of their team that were homeworking?

Mine was a regrade so I assume I got in just in time.
Standard User Chipmunk77
(newbie) Wed 25-Mar-20 16:38:27
Print Post

Thanks, makes sense, kinda guessed as much.

Not really a problem - I only got better than 16mbit in Dec 2017 smile
Standard User ravingkamikaze2
(newbie) Wed 25-Mar-20 16:54:23
Print Post

Thanks, makes sense, kinda guessed as much.

Not really a problem - I only got better than 16mbit in Dec 2017 smile

I went from 2Mb to 300.....no need for 900 but why not tbh! I wont be pushing it too hard as there are more important things to worry about atm!
Standard User johnnyuk
(newbie) Wed 25-Mar-20 17:06:41
Print Post

I'm also on Zen 300/50, which is expensive compared to these new tariffs.

I'm out of contract in a week or two, so spoke to BT FTTP sales this morning.

However, they can't tell me what I can get (despite the main BT website offering Full Fibre 900). Why? Because the OpenReach Wholesale Checker is down......so they said to try again next week....I suspect OR are quite busy at the moment!

BTW, why Fibre 900 and not 1000?
Standard User Chipmunk77
(newbie) Wed 25-Mar-20 17:15:59
Print Post

[re: johnnyuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnnyuk:

Overheads of various protocols involved, and then it's also capped by 1gbit connector in the router.

Guessing real world we'll get 930 or something? I'm sure that'll suffice smile
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 25-Mar-20 17:20:20
Print Post

[re: johnnyuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnnyuk:

Because otherwise people will whinge and claim they're not getting what they paid for, when speedtest shows 942Mbps

That is the payload throughput you get when you saturate a 1Gbps ethernet connection, after taking off TCP, IPv4 and ethernet headers, with a 1500-byte MTU.
Standard User johnnyuk
(newbie) Wed 25-Mar-20 18:20:04
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Ah, of course - makes sense! Thanks both
Pages in this thread: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to