General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | [18] | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sparkymark75
(regular) Thu 26-Mar-20 12:56:54
Print Post

Re: FTTP 500 & 1Gb Prices are out

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
In reply to a post by sparkymark75:
I spent 2 hours on hold to them yesterday and when I did finally speak to someone in "offlice sales", she said the system was only showing 300Mb as the fastest I could get.

The unlucky few - about 50,000 properties - are on ECI OLTs which won't provide faster than 300M (because the interconnects are 1G not 10G)

Can you see on your ONT what the manufacturer is? It's not always the case, but if you've got an ECI ONT then it's more likely an ECI OLT at the exchange end.

My ONT is behind a unit so I can't get access to the back of it. It does look like this one..

http://bt.custhelp.com/rnt/rnw/img/enduser/fvc_openr...

with the battery backup unit on the wall next to it.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Thu 26-Mar-20 13:38:38
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

Gave mine a shot on fast.com.

Single thread provides 940 Mb/s.

Multiple gives 1 Gb/s.

I think they include some overheads in that as, of course, a gigabit of actual goodput is impossible.

Seems to be fine either way, and if it maintains this through the evening well played BT.

It is very, very difficult to saturate the full connection which is absolutely the point.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Thu 26-Mar-20 13:43:21
Print Post

The unlucky few - about 50,000 properties - are on ECI OLTs which won't provide faster than 300M (because the interconnects are 1G not 10G)

Can you see on your ONT what the manufacturer is? It's not always the case, but if you've got an ECI ONT then it's more likely an ECI OLT at the exchange end.

BT Wholesale may also not be selling gigabit in some areas yet for capacity reasons.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Thu 26-Mar-20 14:30:30
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
It is very, very difficult to saturate the full connection which is absolutely the point.

Well said Carl and yes absolutely the point. smile

BTBroadband
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Mar-20 15:33:33
Print Post

[re: sparkymark75] [link to this post]

The DSL checker for me says the same today as it did yesterday.

WBC FTTP Upto 330 Upto 50 -- Available KCI2 Assure --

However, the BT website now says the fastest I can get is Fibre2 (74Mb), despite being on a faster package than this for the past 2 years. Their systems appear to be screwed!

Then that's probably why you cannot get it, minealong with others >> shows << the faster speeds.

I think the reason why you only see the 74Mb package is due to you can only get up to 300Mb and BT no longer sell that, Ultrafast Fibre 250 was replaced with Full Fibre 500, sadly you cannot get the 500Mb due to your area hasn't been upgraded as yet.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Mar-20 15:37:57
Print Post

[re: rman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rman:
Interesting, i was passed over to the Sales Support team the other day regarding a query i had. I was told they have access to a different system that the first line sales team don't have.

Yeah, she told me that they can override the issues that the normal sales team get time to time, I didn't want to argue with her due to I wanted the upgrade LOL

But yeah basically what you said was a bit like what she said, but I know she said they had master access to the system, which isn't what you normally say, but if it gets the job done at the price I was told / quoted then she can say what she wanted LOL

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Mar-20 15:57:59
Print Post

[re: sparkymark75] [link to this post]

My ONT is behind a unit so I can't get access to the back of it. It does look like this one..

Have you tried the CodeLook site, they seem to be correct for ours.
  1. Just enter your post code, click on Lookup Post Code
  2. Click on the Locality link for your post code in the list that shows up below
  3. Now at the top of the page that loads click on the All x Fibre Cabinets
  4. Scroll down the list and look for your cabinet number and now look at the vendor, that should by what hardware you are using.

The hardware for ours shows Huawei, my bets is your will say ECI.

Paul

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 26-Mar-20 16:11:45
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
I think the reason why you only see the 74Mb package is due to you can only get up to 300Mb and BT no longer sell that, Ultrafast Fibre 250 was replaced with Full Fibre 500, sadly you cannot get the 500Mb due to your area hasn't been upgraded as yet.

I don't think that's true: you'd still get 300M in a 300M area, and don't forget the 150M package.

I found the same for my line: a couple of days ago it showed 900M available, now it only shows up to 74M. It suspect it's a systems/database bug.

I guess it *might* be a decision to withdraw the higher speeds in some areas to reduce pressure on their callcentres in the current climate - although that would likely have the opposite effect, as people will now call in to try to place their order instead of placing it online!
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Mar-20 16:12:11
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
I thought I'd check what my address showed up as on BT's website. Today it says I can't get full fibre although the other day it said I could get Fibre 1000. So something is screwed up at the moment (at BT Wholesale's side?).

I checked another ISP's 'checker' and it tells me I'm able to get 1000/220 as the DSL checker would also normally do if it was working. their checker even tells me my ONT serial number, location notes, status of the ports, and such, but I do have a login which their more 'detailed' checker requires. The more basic checker which doesn't require a login doesn't show that kind of information when checking an address.

These things are bound to happen with the Coronavirus pandemic and lockdown I guess, patience is a virtue.

Well I am not too sure where the issue is at, I know the 3 people I spoke to (1 on the 24th and the two people today) all saw it was available to us, sadly the site said I could only get Superfast Fibre 2 (i.e. 78Mb) and their checker (not the BTW checker) said I cannot get Full Fibre, yet when I logged in and looked at our package it said we was on Fibre 250 and a bit further down said it was using their Full Fibre system or something like that.

But yeah I agree, that's why I was relaxed and waited that long time in the second queue, at the end of the day we are lucky that they are in work in the first place.

The BTW Check is even down to me for looking up via address, but I can still do lookups by the Nad Key etc smile

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Mar-20 16:19:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

I don't think that's true: you'd still get 300M in a 300M area, and don't forget the 150M package.

I found the same for my line: a couple of days ago it showed 900M available, now it only shows up to 74M. It suspect it's a systems/database bug.

I guess it *might* be a decision to withdraw the higher speeds in some areas to reduce pressure on their callcentres in the current climate - although that would likely have the opposite effect, as people will now call in to try to place their order instead of placing it online!

Oh I forgot about the 150Mb one frown
But yeah there is an issue on their site though, like their different sections where they check if you can get it, one will say that you can get Full Fibre - Superfast Fibre 2, and then another checker on there would say no full fibre available in my area but still says Superfast Fibre 2.

I think they tried to remove the new packages from the list and hope nobody saw them.
And they have renamed all of those products so that's prob why the Fibre 150 was also not showing.

But this is all guess work here so I am probably completely wrong LOL

Paul

Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | [18] | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to