General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Sun 22-Mar-20 19:50:15
Print Post

Re: FTTP 500 & 1Gb Prices are out

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Because with a nice car you do actually get something better. With broadband so fast you cannot possibly get any noticeable benefit, what's the point?

Exactly what I said above "If you can afford it why not."

As for my current miserable 1Mb down and almost zero upload I will be taking up the full package just because I can when it comes available to me.. smile

BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-Mar-20 19:57:23
Print Post

[re: rman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rman:
You mean waiting 8 seconds less for a 1GB download is not worth it?? tongue
Well I suppose it might be worth it in certain circumstances not suitable for discussion here . wink

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sun 22-Mar-20 21:37:24
Print Post

So I guess now i'll be getting 900Mbps FTTP & 900Mbps Cityfibre (when its available to order).
Will that be a little OTT?
Ive waited 10+ years, I dont care about the cost im getting maximum speed.

I may well mellow after the contracts expire.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bowdon
(committed) Mon 23-Mar-20 00:58:37
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

I'd buy either one.

Now I just need to have FTTP piped to my house.

BT Infinity 2 - ECI Cabinet
Standard User acting_funny
(member) Mon 23-Mar-20 01:08:06
Print Post

currently on 300mb and ordered 1gb for the same price that i'm paying with a reasonable discount negotiated out of contract last year. not sure if it's a BT thing to drive 1gb adoption for marketing or just a bog standard customer retention ploy but the rep on the phone wasn't difficult at all talking down from the original quote of 69.99 for an existing customer.
Standard User Chipmunk77
(newbie) Mon 23-Mar-20 01:32:17
Print Post

[re: acting_funny] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acting_funny:
currently on 300mb and ordered 1gb for the same price that i'm paying with a reasonable discount negotiated out of contract last year. not sure if it's a BT thing to drive 1gb adoption for marketing or just a bog standard customer retention ploy but the rep on the phone wasn't difficult at all talking down from the original quote of 69.99 for an existing customer.

Hope I can do likewise. .Don't really need it, but already paying £60/month so if it's the same, that'll do me.

The pricing is a little surprising - almost no diff between 500mbit and 1gbit indeed suggests they want to push the latter, and juice their stats a bit.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Mon 23-Mar-20 01:46:19
Print Post

Wow!

Well that is a bit of a showstopper. I can tell the wife I am downgrading (its cheaper than FTTPoD) whilst upgrading. Nearly as good as the bike shop doing prices on receipts based on what you said you paid.

We run a set of holiday cottages. The 500/1Gbps don't appear on business tariffs but we often get put on domestic stuff as we live on site. Can anyone comment on:

- any AUP/fair use stuff. We pull about 2 TB/month, biggest was 2.8TB and with schools off and the kids mainlining netflix this will go up.
- any BT contention issues that are likely to slow speed, I guess with minimum of 450Mbps my slowest would faster than my fastest
- am I likely to get pulled as a business rather than a domestic when we have 70 network devices and the guests can bring another 70 with them.

And what new router should I get to replace my USG-Pro-4 which will struggle to keep up with that. (waiting on UDM-Pro equivalent, really like the single view on network stuff, even though we have hops on AirMax stuff so use UNMS and UniFi portals).

I maybe should be cutting back right now with no guests coming for the foreseeable but 1Gbps would be awesome after so long with [censored]!

Dave
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Mar-20 03:04:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by busterboy:
Much better than I ever imagined. laugh

New Prices.

BT should have cancelled that plan - due to coronavirus to ease network capacity in UK

Hope Boris Johnson bring in toughter laws to get all of us in UK as a maximum capped speed are 40/10 on all FTTC / FTTP / G.fast to ease the network issues as more childrens in UK stay at home and many will be streaming on their TV.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Mar-20 04:26:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by rman:
You mean waiting 8 seconds less for a 1GB download is not worth it?? tongue
Well I suppose it might be worth it in certain circumstances not suitable for discussion here . wink

It also boils down to what price you actually get it at, to me 910Mb is a bit over kill even for us here, but I do like the 110Mb upload.

But looking at the Full Fibre 500 from BT (Get 500Mb for the price of 300Mb) is a win win if already on the 300Mb package.

So I might just phone and ask for they best price deal that they can do for both of those packages and go on from there.

Looking at BT's prices going from their 500Mb:73Mb package to their 910Mb:110Mb package there is only a £10 price difference.

You might also need to find out what actual speed that you get, you might go for the 910Mb option but only get 500Mb speeds, BT would still say its still above their "Stay Fast Guarantee of 455Mb", so you need to also take that into the decision when picking a package.

Paul

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Mon 23-Mar-20 06:46:45
Print Post

[re: acting_funny] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acting_funny:

Well done mate, always worth the phone call.

Enjoy your new package. smile

BTBroadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to