General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | [21] | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User acting_funny
(member) Fri 27-Mar-20 16:56:34
Print Post

Re: FTTP 500 & 1Gb Prices are out

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

i'm using an asus ac86u with merlin's firmware, out of curiosity i tried the smarthub 2 and get the exact same download throughput both multi & single threaded, but i am seeing the 50mbps upload bug with the smarthub.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Fri 27-Mar-20 17:36:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Yeah, I am currently using the Linksys WRT 3200 ACM works great on my current 300Mbps and "should" be fine with its 1Gbit WAN Port, yeah yours looks similar specs to the Linksys one, but not really looked at it.

If it not good enough I will look at getting a better one, but I think it will be fine.

Paul

You're going to be wanting a new router.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Fri 27-Mar-20 17:39:16
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:
Are you using the Linksys router as in your profile Paul.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 and presume when my time comes it will be good enough. smile

You also need a new router.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Fri 27-Mar-20 18:07:46
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
In reply to a post by busterboy:
Are you using the Linksys router as in your profile Paul.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 and presume when my time comes it will be good enough. smile

You also need a new router.

Could you expand on that please Carl.

Happy to learn but looking at the spec sheet I would have thought my router was ok for 900mbps.

Link here Carl.

Data sheet here.

Please take a look.

Technical Specifications
WIFI TECHNOLOGY
802.11ac Tri-Band Gigabit

SPEED AND RANGE
WIFI PERFORMANCE
AC3200 (600 + 1300 + 1300 Mbps)

WIFI RANGE
Very large homes

BTBroadband

Edited by busterboy (Fri 27-Mar-20 19:16:08)

Standard User acting_funny
(member) Fri 27-Mar-20 18:23:44
Print Post

looks like with specific firmware you might be ok with the r8000 - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Rout...

when replacing my old router i was looking specifically for hardware accelerated nat (aka CTF/flow control) that will support gigabit speeds from WAN to LAN over pppoe.
Standard User robg1701
(committed) Fri 27-Mar-20 18:48:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
In reply to a post by robg1701:
Thought it would be. I'm happy with what I got this time. Still paying more than some like yourself are as before, but now paying the same as what most folks seem to be getting it for, less than I was paying before for slower service, and less than new customers pay for it. Hard to complain much about that hehe.

Is the price that you will be paying the same as what you was paying for your 300Mb ?

Paul

No, I am paying £2 less, I've been paying £59.99 for 330 because the '£54.99 for 18 months' offer expired like the day before they eventually called me to say things were sorted out so I could actually order FTTP (took a few weeks). Then another offer started like the very next day. I called and asked but they wouldnt give me the offer. Even though by phoning me and processing an order over the phone, they also screwed me out of getting the Reward Card! I forget how much it was exactly but it was huge, like £125+ I believe.
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Fri 27-Mar-20 18:49:41
Print Post

[re: acting_funny] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acting_funny:
looks like with specific firmware you might be ok with the r8000 - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Rout...

when replacing my old router i was looking specifically for hardware accelerated nat (aka CTF/flow control) that will support gigabit speeds from WAN to LAN over pppoe.

Those firmware versions are from 2018 Firmware update 1.0.4.28.

My current up to date firmware is V1.0.4.46_10.1.63 which was updated only a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully we are good to go when the time comes.

Thanks for your response acting_funny. smile

BTBroadband
Standard User rman
(regular) Fri 27-Mar-20 18:55:43
Print Post

You should look into setting up a PfSense router and using your current router as an access point.

By far the best router i've ever used - though it's not plug and play like the off the shelf routers. So it really depends on your technical ability.

Edited by rman (Fri 27-Mar-20 18:56:12)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Mar-20 08:28:12
Print Post

Just a heads up to people that have managed to order the upgrade, good luck in getting it go live at the moment.

Checked this morning and it still hasn't gone live yet, MyBT says it's on the 27th up to midnight, sadly this didn't happen.

Just got off the phone to BT (only 2 mins wait) and I was told its stuck at BT Wholesale sadly the people that deal with this are based in India and they are not in the office, and they are the only ones that can do this.

Not too sure if its due to being its Saturday or he was referring about the issues that going on atm.

So it seems that all of these open orders will remain open until they are back at the offices, which could be months.

What annoys me a little is that BT should of known this when I made the order and could of told me there might be delays, I am fine with that but nothing was said.

I am just hoping its due to being the weekend.

Paul

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sat 28-Mar-20 08:38:12
Print Post

At least with a delayed regrade you continue to have your original service.

Someone who ceased service with a different ISP and re-ordered with BT could find themselves in a difficult spot right now.
Pages in this thread: << 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | [21] | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to