General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | [23] | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Mar-20 11:34:53
Print Post

Re: FTTP 500 & 1Gb Prices are out

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brookheather:
Some router chipsets can't handle the required NAT performance when you have gigabit speeds - it requires certain hardware acceleration to achieve 900Mbps NAT throughput. Also on some routers enabling features like parental controls can bypass the NAT acceleration as each packet needs to be inspected so it depends on your router and which features are enabled. Your router may be perfectly fine so long as you enable the NAT acceleration feature (also called CTF on some routers). Some more info here:

https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

I might just have to wait and see if it works, I cannot see anything like that in the settings, I could install the 3rd party open source firmware once the line goes live, I have no issue buying another router, just knowing one that would allow for that.

But seems my firmware was last updated back in 2018 and there are a few updates.

*** update ***
Even with the latest firmware I cannot see anything like that, all I have a Enable NAT and that's it.

So its just wait and see.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 28-Mar-20 11:58:00)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Mar-20 11:59:49
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
I might just have to wait and see if it works, I cannot see anything like that in the settings, I could install the 3rd party open source firmware once the line goes live, I have no issue buying another router, just knowing one that would allow for that.

My ASUS RT-AX88U shows this in the Tools -> System Information page:
HW acceleration 	Runner: Enabled  -  Flow Cache: Enabled

I have 200mbps / 20mbps from Virgin cable, and the AX has a very fast processor, my older AC, had similar feature.

But seems my firmware was last updated back in 2018 and there are a few updates.

I would worry about that, most routers are based on open source components, and the Linux kernel etc, and these are patched frequently against security holes. No updates for 2 years could mean the product is abandoned by the vendor, and might no longer be secure.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sat 28-Mar-20 12:00:38)

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Sat 28-Mar-20 12:04:56
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Purely out of interest and probably worth asking on this thread which off the shelf third party routers are capable of running 1Gbps.

I am the same as Paul its no problem purchasing a new router but its a minefield knowing which is right for the job.

BTBroadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brookheather
(member) Sat 28-Mar-20 12:08:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I would worry about that, most routers are based on open source components, and the Linux kernel etc, and these are patched frequently against security holes. No updates for 2 years could mean the product is abandoned by the vendor, and might no longer be secure.

Agree - my Asus RT-AC68U is still being updated by Asus - for example there was another update this month to fix the Kr00k vulnerability.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Mar-20 12:12:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

My ASUS RT-AX88U shows this in the Tools -> System Information page:
HW acceleration 	Runner: Enabled  -  Flow Cache: Enabled

I have 200mbps / 20mbps from Virgin cable, and the AX has a very fast processor, my older AC, had similar feature.

I was just saying I haven't updated since 2018, I had a few new firmware update listed, so I just updated to the last one.

Sorry I didn't explain it right smile

This was what was in the last 2 updates:
Firmware version: 1.0.8.199531
Release date: February 13, 2020

- Fixed a buffer overflow security vulnerability

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firmware version: 1.0.8.198828
Release date: January 8, 2020

- Integrated WLAN driver v9.1.2.6 and FW v9.3.2.8
- Added support for the Marvell Armada 385 Rev. B0 CPU
- Resolved multiple security vulnerabilities
- General bug fixes

And that's it, I might go looking at a new router in case its not up to the job, I still have the Smart Hub 2 if the worst comes to the worst.

I was looking at setting up pfsense but never got around to actually doing it..

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 28-Mar-20 12:21:09)

Standard User puntoboy
(regular) Sat 28-Mar-20 12:22:15
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:
Purely out of interest and probably worth asking on this thread which off the shelf third party routers are capable of running 1Gbps.

I am the same as Paul its no problem purchasing a new router but its a minefield knowing which is right for the job.

I'm using an Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro and it's working like a champ.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Mar-20 12:47:11
Print Post

Purely out of interest and probably worth asking on this thread which off the shelf third party routers are capable of running 1Gbps. I am the same as Paul its no problem purchasing a new router but its a minefield knowing which is right for the job.

This is an interesting question. I would look at Small Net Builder, as the owner does this sort of testing. Most recently some amazing testing on WiFi 6 (AX) throughput.

WAN to LAN throughput table:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/...

Not something many in the UK are going to hit for a few years, but a good topic! Maybe Thinkbroadband should re-start router testing for the UK models.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Mar-20 12:49:38
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I was just saying I haven't updated since 2018, I had a few new firmware update listed, so I just updated to the last one.
Oh okay, that is good news.
The security industry has been asking manufacturers of home products to automatically have "auto update"; as there have been some really malicious attacks against well known vulnerabilities. It is a shame the ISP provided hardware is so basic, as this stuff normally updates itself. Add-on products such as the BT WholeHome discs (the generic ones) also have automatic update for their firmware. This is getting an important topic, especially in the current craziness when getting a replacement router might take weeks. frown

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sat 28-Mar-20 12:52:28
Print Post

If I were buying now I'd get the Mikrotik rb4011igs_rm. Ongoing firmware upgrades, a quad-core ARM, and a 10G ethernet port. It will eat 1G for lunch smile

Otherwise if you have any PC from the last 5 years (64-bit CPU) and fit it with two gigabit NICs and run pfSense, that will do the job nicely.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Mar-20 12:56:55
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Otherwise if you have any PC from the last 5 years (64-bit CPU) and fit it with two gigabit NICs and run pfSense, that will do the job nicely.
PCs are capable, but often noisy and can take a lot of electricity compared to a dedicated box. Not always acceptable in domestic situations. smile

Pages in this thread: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | [23] | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to