General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | [25] | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sparkymark75
(regular) Sat 28-Mar-20 15:40:58
Print Post

Re: FTTP 500 & 1Gb Prices are out

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:
Purely out of interest and probably worth asking on this thread which off the shelf third party routers are capable of running 1Gbps.

I am the same as Paul its no problem purchasing a new router but its a minefield knowing which is right for the job.

Iím using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4. Great router for the price, but thatís all it does, routing.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Mar-20 15:53:05
Print Post

[re: sparkymark75] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sparkymark75:
Iím using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4. Great router for the price, but thatís all it does, routing.

Once we all get to IPv6, then we can ditch NAT, and route / firewall everything.
The bulk of the the CPU usage is caused by the PPP encapsulation of each packet; required for all shared networks (e.g. Openreach). Other networks that have only one ISP on the network don't use PPP (e.g. Virgin Media)

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sat 28-Mar-20 15:54:23)

Standard User sparkymark75
(regular) Sat 28-Mar-20 16:06:05
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Once we all get to IPv6, then we can ditch NAT, and route / firewall everything.
The bulk of the the CPU usage is caused by the PPP encapsulation of each packet; required for all shared networks (e.g. Openreach). Other networks that have only one ISP on the network don't use PPP (e.g. Virgin Media)

I do have it configured to use IPv6 but other than Xbox, Iím not sure what other platforms use it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Mar-20 17:14:06
Print Post

[re: sparkymark75] [link to this post]

Not all internet providers support v6, and not all websites are available on v6. This one is, as is Google and Facebook for example. Until every website, and every internet provider supports IPv6, we canít stop using v4 without losing access to many websites.

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Sat 28-Mar-20 17:26:34
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
So what is wrong with my Linksys router, it has at least a 1Gbit throughput between the WAN and Ethernet Ports?

Paul

Just because they are gigabit ports doesn't mean you can get line rate through them. It's not a switch there's some work to be done in between.

According to the Small Net Builder tests it doesn't come close regardless of PPP usage.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Mar-20 18:15:51
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

Looks as if its maxed WAN to LAN, and LAN to WAN at just over 500 Mbps
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/...

Standard User rman
(regular) Sat 28-Mar-20 19:31:51
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brookheather:
In reply to a post by candlerb:
Otherwise if you have any PC from the last 5 years (64-bit CPU) and fit it with two gigabit NICs and run pfSense, that will do the job nicely.
PCs are capable, but often noisy and can take a lot of electricity compared to a dedicated box. Not always acceptable in domestic situations. smile

I can recommend using an HP 400 / 600 / 800 SFF PC (G1 onwards) - I use an HP 400 G2.5 SFF for my pfSense router - I think power consumption is around 14W for this model - I also have an HP 600 G2 SFF and that has power consumption about 12W due to its better Platinum rated PSU. The fans can be audible particularly if the machine is a few years old but they can easily be replaced for a few quid with Arctic or Noctua fans. You can't hear my 600 G2 since I replaced the cpu fan with a Noctua 80mm fan.

Another vote for PfSense, i can't see myself moving away from it. I run ntopng (network analysis), pfblockerng (network wide tracking/ad blocking) and OpenVPN.

At the time i wanted to move my CCTV NVR to a software based system (BlueIrirs) so i decided to build an ESXI server - so far it has been great.

I think i spent around £600 for the build, Ryzen 7 1700 (8 Core), 32GB DDR4 Ram, 2 ethernet cards and storage for the CCTV + "media" wink

If you're a tech nerd like me, go for pfsense!
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Mar-20 19:58:05
Print Post

Looks as if its maxed WAN to LAN, and LAN to WAN at just over 500 Mbps
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/...

Yup, just noticed that now frown
Good job I have the Smart hub 2 to use while I look into a better one.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Mar-20 23:18:07
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Good job I have the Smart hub 2 to use while I look into a better one.

Ok, I am looking at the NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S Smart Wifi Router (R8000P) will this be ok for the connection, it says the following:

WAN - LAN Throughput (Mbps) 940
LAN - WAN Throughput (Mbps) 940

I cannot see any that are higher.

Paul

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Mar-20 04:51:27
Print Post

Neither Sky or Talktalk use PPP over the OpenReach network.
Pages in this thread: << 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | [25] | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to