General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | [27] | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Mar-20 18:12:08
Print Post

Re: FTTP 500 & 1Gb Prices are out

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rolandrat:
I bought a Unifi Dream Machine Pro to eventually use with BT FTTP & City fibre, but I found it currently too limiting with routing, so bought a Draytek 3910 upto 8 WAN's, 2x10Gbe, 2x2.5Gbe & 4x1Gbe and 4x 1Gbe LAN (dedicated). >8Gbe NAT Throughput.
I should say the first 8 ports are selectable wan or lan, so I can feed my 10Gbe lan.

That V3910-K looks like OMG I want one LOL, bit over the top for my usage.

Paul

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Mar-20 18:12:42
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
ASUS RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900
This is relatively new, and I had the RT-AC88U which I gave to my parents when I bought the AX88U at Christmas. I am a big fan of the ASUS routers, and the Merlin firmware which adds some nice features and diagnostics. (https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/)

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User oldskool
(member) Sun 29-Mar-20 18:22:30
Print Post

[re: acting_funny] [link to this post]

Still concerning that the Netgear and ASUS are going to struggle to get much more than 450-600Mbps if you run NAT and SPI / QoS etc

The online tests are a bit misleading as the WAN to LAN tests run with DMZ

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Mar-20 18:23:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by acting_funny:
might be worth checking if the routers support BT's /56 ipv6 natively also, the ac86u does it without fuss.

I know my Linksys has issues with IPv6 with BT, like it just hangs trying to connect (maybe BT doesn't use DHCP6), but it still seems to get one.

But good to know that AC86U works ok.

Paul

Standard User acting_funny
(member) Sun 29-Mar-20 18:30:04
Print Post

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

finding a reasonably priced router capable of gigabit throughput with QoS wasn't possible when i last looked. if you need that the best bet is a (beefy) pfsense box i think.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Mar-20 18:30:56
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
This is relatively new, and I had the RT-AC88U which I gave to my parents when I bought the AX88U at Christmas. I am a big fan of the ASUS routers, and the Merlin firmware which adds some nice features and diagnostics. (https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/)

Yeah I did read that some people using the merlin firmware, I normally stay away from WRT opensource firmware due to there have been issues in the past with licencing with driver resulting in people reverse engineering them which have been not as good.

But saying that I am all for Opensource stuff smile

I would also be limiting as much as I can for the router to do freeing up every CPU cycle LOL

As for ASUS, yeah I have a lot of their gear here, all are ROG hardware.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Mar-20 18:35:15
Print Post

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by oldskool:
Still concerning that the Netgear and ASUS are going to struggle to get much more than 450-600Mbps if you run NAT and SPI / QoS etc

The online tests are a bit misleading as the WAN to LAN tests run with DMZ

We wouldn't be passing 1Gbit (940Mbit) 24/7 so will probably be fine, at the moment us here all set our downloads to a max of 80Mb on our 300Mb connection and we are fine, just means we can turn that up a could of notches.

Plus the faster speeds were mostly got for the upload.

Paul

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sun 29-Mar-20 18:37:24
Print Post

MikroTik Tik RB4011iGS+RM (still not sure this will handle the speed though)

Quad-core ARM 1.4GHz should have no problem. The manufacturer's throughput tests are here.

For comparison, I have the much less powerful Mikrotik hEX PoE, which has a single-core MIPS 800MHz.

In my testing, with fastpath enabled (IPv4) it routes 900M between two VLANs; with speedtest.net on 300M FTTP (including PPPoE and NAT) the CPU goes to about 33% utilisation. Without fastpath (which includes IPv6), it flatlines about 300Mbps at 100% CPU.

The measurements given by Mikrotik are ~75kpps for the hEX PoE and ~600kpps for the RB4011 (both for routing with 25 filter rules), so you can expect the RB4011 to be 8 times faster than what I see: this agrees with its four cores and roughly double clock speed.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Mar-20 18:39:42
Print Post

Yeah I did read that some people using the merlin firmware, I normally stay away from WRT opensource firmware due to there have been issues in the past with licencing with driver resulting in people reverse engineering them which have been not as good.

Merlin uses the source from ASUS with the binary modules, so you don't get the feature set of DDWRT, or Advanced Tomato or similar, but you get the benefits of the closed source modules (e.g. working/good WiFi, and optimisations on PPP and NAT for high throughput!).

I would also be limiting as much as I can for the router to do freeing up every CPU cycle LOL

You actually want as much as possible offloaded from the SoC's CPU into dedicated hardware for highest throughput. Hence features such as CTF. It is when you use CPU based features that you lose the throughput (e.g. the QoS).

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 29-Mar-20 18:40:13)

Standard User oldskool
(member) Sun 29-Mar-20 18:40:20
Print Post

Thatís why Iím curious to know what routers are going to be supplied by the ISPs

Iím not sure which way to go. The business grade TP-Link TL-R600VPN v4 will possibly do 680Mbps but itís hard to find but reasonably priced.

The ubiquity edge router is around 700Mbps but afaik is a bit tricky to setup

Then you have the asus 68u and r7000 but with NAT more likely 400-500Mbps

So curious what the ISP will supply or what other options there are.

Definitely seems to be limited reasonably priced options afaik. Unless you stay below 500Mbps
Pages in this thread: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | [27] | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to