General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | [28] | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Mar-20 18:40:22
Print Post

Re: FTTP 500 & 1Gb Prices are out

[re: acting_funny] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acting_funny:
finding a reasonably priced router capable of gigabit throughput with QoS wasn't possible when i last looked. if you need that the best bet is a (beefy) pfsense box i think.

Agreed, I did see some beasts of routers while looking, just didn't want to pay that much (and they were a lot) LUL

Plus we could just build a PC here and install pfSense on it.

At the end of the day its boils down to how much you want to pay for a router, plus getting the connection for the same price as before we can send a bit on the router.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Mar-20 19:12:34
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Quad-core ARM 1.4GHz should have no problem. The manufacturer's throughput tests are here.

For comparison, I have the much less powerful Mikrotik hEX PoE, which has a single-core MIPS 800MHz.

In my testing, with fastpath enabled (IPv4) it routes 900M between two VLANs; with speedtest.net on 300M FTTP (including PPPoE and NAT) the CPU goes to about 33% utilisation. Without fastpath (which includes IPv6), it flatlines about 300Mbps at 100% CPU.

The measurements given by Mikrotik are ~75kpps for the hEX PoE and ~600kpps for the RB4011 (both for routing with 25 filter rules), so you can expect the RB4011 to be 8 times faster than what I see: this agrees with its four cores and roughly double clock speed.

Yeah I did get a bit lost with those numbers LOL
What are those Kbit number referring to? also I can see that it hate small (i.e. 64byte) sizes.

But glad to see it should be ok because I liked the look of it and it looks wall mountable too.

I did also see that hEX PoE and the other ones that look like it but with different fronts and without the SFP Port (i.e. the Lite version) but I already assumed it wouldn't be fast enough.

OMG, I just saw the CCR1016-12G (1U Rack) not a bad price either, but look at the test results OMG LOL

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Mar-20 19:19:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Yeah I did read that some people using the merlin firmware, I normally stay away from WRT opensource firmware due to there have been issues in the past with licencing with driver resulting in people reverse engineering them which have been not as good.

Merlin uses the source from ASUS with the binary modules, so you don't get the feature set of DDWRT, or Advanced Tomato or similar, but you get the benefits of the closed source modules (e.g. working/good WiFi, and optimisations on PPP and NAT for high throughput!).

Yeah, I read WRT had some strange wi-fi issues due to the drivers which was why I stayed away form it.

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I would also be limiting as much as I can for the router to do freeing up every CPU cycle LOL

You actually want as much as possible offloaded from the SoC's CPU into dedicated hardware for highest throughput. Hence features such as CTF. It is when you use CPU based features that you lose the throughput (e.g. the QoS).

That what I meant, like some routers have extra features like a Media Server and stuff like that which I don't need, I just need a stable fast connection.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Mar-20 19:24:40
Print Post

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

I know BT are supplying their Smarthub 2, hope its better than their previous Smarthub due to that barely did 300Mb and over time become sluggish especially in the web GUI.

Paul

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Sun 29-Mar-20 20:10:59
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rolandrat:
I bought a Unifi Dream Machine Pro to eventually use with BT FTTP & City fibre, but I found it currently too limiting with routing, so bought a Draytek 3910 upto 8 WAN's, 2x10Gbe, 2x2.5Gbe & 4x1Gbe and 4x 1Gbe LAN (dedicated). >8Gbe NAT Throughput.
I should say the first 8 ports are selectable wan or lan, so I can feed my 10Gbe lan.

I have a UDM Pro but waiting for the software to catch up with the hardware.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User oldskool
(member) Sun 29-Mar-20 21:17:49
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

Do BT still sell the 300Mbps tier?

I can see the 500Mbps tier at 49.99 is the same price as the 300 tier. Has the 300Mbps tier been adjusted yet?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Mar-20 21:42:58
Print Post

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by oldskool:
Do BT still sell the 300Mbps tier?

I can see the 500Mbps tier at 49.99 is the same price as the 300 tier. Has the 300Mbps tier been adjusted yet?

I was assuming they was dropping the Ultrafast Fibre 250 package for the Full Fibre 500 one.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Mar-20 22:01:14
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Right I am going to bite the bullet and buy one LOL, its not that much, I can also try it on my current connection and get it all setup ready for it to go live (assuming BT resolve their wholesale issue out), might also use my current Linksys as an access point due to the wi-fi was great on it.

Paul

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 30-Mar-20 08:28:17
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

kpps is thousands of packets per second. The amount of CPU work routing a packet is the same regardless of the size of the packet. Hence whether you're sending 1500-byte packets or 64-byte packets, you get roughly the same throughput in packets per second; but to get the throughput in megabits per second you have to multiply by the packet size (in bits).

75000pps x 1500bytes x 8 bits per byte = 900Mbps

This is best case, e.g. for large downloads and streaming over TCP. You'll get smaller sized packets from videoconferencing, interactive applications/games, DNS etc.

I definitely wouldn't recommend the hEX PoE for gigabit. 300M I'd say is the usable limit.

OMG, I just saw the CCR1016-12G (1U Rack) not a bad price either, but look at the test results OMG LOL

Yes they are awesome. A client has several CCR1036 (with 36 cores) in data centres; when forwarding 500Mbps and processing BGP updates the visible CPU load wanders between 0 and 2%.
Standard User dogcat
(learned) Mon 30-Mar-20 09:59:26
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

Paul

If you are looking at the rackable ones the best to get is the CCR-1036-8G-2S

That can do 10G connections, but isn't cheap, but isn't much more than the 1016 for a lot more power. Although 10G is unlikely to appear any time soon in the UK.
Pages in this thread: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | [28] | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to