General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | [29] | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Mar-20 10:40:10
Print Post

Re: FTTP 500 & 1Gb Prices are out

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
kpps is thousands of packets per second. The amount of CPU work routing a packet is the same regardless of the size of the packet. Hence whether you're sending 1500-byte packets or 64-byte packets, you get roughly the same throughput in packets per second; but to get the throughput in megabits per second you have to multiply by the packet size (in bits).

75000pps x 1500bytes x 8 bits per byte = 900Mbps

This is best case, e.g. for large downloads and streaming over TCP. You'll get smaller sized packets from videoconferencing, interactive applications/games, DNS etc.

OMG I should go to Specsavers LOL, I read kpps as kbps that's why I was confused, kpps makes sense.
Games using small packets would never need large bandwidth when playing, not needed to do any videoconferencing in a while, so we should be good. smile

I definitely wouldn't recommend the hEX PoE for gigabit. 300M I'd say is the usable limit.

Yeah, its a shame due to we don't need all the extra ethernet ports, but saying that, with the RB4011iGS+RM we might be able to remove one of our first LAN Switches due to there "might" be enough ports on this to connect all those cables, but I would need to check (but I might just leave it as 1 in and 1 out).

OMG, I just saw the CCR1016-12G (1U Rack) not a bad price either, but look at the test results OMG LOL

Yes they are awesome. A client has several CCR1036 (with 36 cores) in data centres; when forwarding 500Mbps and processing BGP updates the visible CPU load wanders between 0 and 2%.

Even the CCR1036-8G-2S+ and the CCR1036-12G-4S (Cloud Core Router) has a nice affordable price on it, sure I have no need for the 4 SFP ports.

We use to have some rack stuff here several years back in the 100Mbit days, but wasn't a fan (pun intended) of all the (whooooo) fan noise from them, we were going to move it all to its own location, but never got around to it.

Might look into all this again at a later date now that they are a nice price.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Mar-20 10:47:32
Print Post

[re: dogcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dogcat:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
OMG, I just saw the CCR1016-12G (1U Rack) not a bad price either, but look at the test results OMG LOL

Paul

If you are looking at the rackable ones the best to get is the CCR-1036-8G-2S

That can do 10G connections, but isn't cheap, but isn't much more than the 1016 for a lot more power. Although 10G is unlikely to appear any time soon in the UK.

Yeah I already looked at the CCR1036 series of Cloud Core Routers, they are at a price that I "could" pay if needed, but atm don't need, so they are now just on my wish list.

Well a dedicated 10Gb is already available via the BT's Business products, sadly that's well out of our price range, basically anything that says call for a price normally means get a chair due to the price is way too high LOL

Paul

Standard User robg1701
(committed) Mon 30-Mar-20 12:50:12
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

My Fibre 900 (which was scheduled for today, March 30th) went live sometime after midnight, I noticed around 1am.

Both my Smart Hub 2 and Smart Hub had the 'capping upload speed at 50mbit-ish' issue. They were peaking around 70 for moments but still averaging ~50 during a run. A factory reset on both resolved things and got the 115mbit upload going. On the downstream side, I saw 840mbit avg in the early hours, and just now after I got done giving the routers a reset and comparison its a bit lower, varying 7XX. (Maybe not the best backhaul, the area was only able to get the 1000mbit offerings in the last few weeks)

For things on wifi, which alas most of my stuff needs to use, things have barely changed at all. I have one machine with a 4x4 AC external antenna and its speedtest averages are almost the same as before hand, some peaks exceeding the prior line rates but for the averages mostly youd never know the upload or download had changed. Wont be easy to wire these places, but I now have more compelling motivations to do so I guess hehe (or to look at 802.11AX for them at some point, say once 6GHz kit is more settled).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Mar-20 14:09:36
Print Post

[re: robg1701] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robg1701:
My Fibre 900 (which was scheduled for today, March 30th) went live sometime after midnight, I noticed around 1am.

Hmm, then why are BT telling me that its due to nobody at the Wholesale office in India, granted I last spoke to BT on Saturday morning.

Has anyone else's gone live over the last couple of days?

Paul

Standard User oldskool
(member) Mon 30-Mar-20 14:11:24
Print Post

[re: robg1701] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robg1701:
For things on wifi, which alas most of my stuff needs to use, things have barely changed at all. I have one machine with a 4x4 AC external antenna and its speedtest averages are almost the same as before hand, some peaks exceeding the prior line rates but for the averages mostly youd never know the upload or download had changed. Wont be easy to wire these places, but I now have more compelling motivations to do so I guess hehe (or to look at 802.11AX for them at some point, say once 6GHz kit is more settled).

Wifi is a tricky one to get right, at least it was for me.

The very best wifi kit you may just see 650-850Mbps W-LAN to LAN. Slightly less W-LAN to W-LAN (but across different AP's) - not sure why its slightly less as the switch is doing the work, but I guess it may be interference. And half it was clients on the same AP.

If you have a WAN connection (like you do) that can do 1Gbps, the only way I was able to get great speeds was to ensure I set all my AP's up correctly.

I have 1300Mbps AC points on 3 floors of my home, cabled back centrally. You need to set channel spacing and power levels very carefully.

Even with too much power, if one of the AP's interferes with another the speeds drop.

With clients distributed across all 3 points I was able to get up to 850Mbps over Wifi.

As soon as another client starts transmitting don't expect more than 350-450Mbps. And that is very meticulous setup and config.

A central wifi router trying to cover the whole house and you are likely to not get more than 150-200Mbps a few rooms away with other clients on the same AP.

Edited by oldskool (Mon 30-Mar-20 14:13:54)

Standard User Ixel
(committed) Mon 30-Mar-20 14:15:17
Print Post

If it helps, it's pending on Cerberus for me. Order went in Wednesday of last week if I recall correctly without checking the order details again.

Edited by Ixel (Mon 30-Mar-20 14:15:56)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Mar-20 15:29:03
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Well I just called BT just for a quick update and to find out what the actual issue was and the guy at BT was confused why the order was stuck.
He said that it should of gone live within 24/48 hours from the date of ordering because its just a speed change and wouldn't require an engineer.

He did further checks and had to speak to Openreach and would phone me back.

Which he did saying there was an exception on our order and that it has now been sent to their offline team, and if I heard him right he said something about 24 to 48 hours to be resolved by and that I might get a phone call by / on the 2nd.

I had exception issues going from ADSL2+ to Infinity 4 to Ultra Fast 2 and then to Ultrafast Fibre 250, but I thought that they had fixed all those issues.

I was also told that the Wholesale staff based in India are now allowed to work from home, so possibly orders should start to go through now.

Paul

Standard User Ixel
(committed) Mon 30-Mar-20 15:52:05
Print Post

Interesting, thanks for sharing the update. I hope that also means my regrade with another ISP goes through this week then smile.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Mar-20 15:58:46
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
Interesting, thanks for sharing the update. I hope that also means my regrade with another ISP goes through this week then smile.

Yeah hopefully, he did say they are slowly going through them, so I assume there are loads to do.

But hope yours gets done soon.

Paul

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Mon 30-Mar-20 16:31:06
Print Post

Interested to see that people are now being offered Fibre 900 for £40/month. That is a steal. tongue

https://imgur.com/FK4Yczk

BTBroadband

Edited by busterboy (Mon 30-Mar-20 16:32:54)

Pages in this thread: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | [29] | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to