General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User puntoboy
(regular) Mon 23-Mar-20 16:14:40
Print Post

Re: FTTP 500 & 1Gb Prices are out

[re: rman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rman:
In reply to a post by F00tS0re:
Not sure what to do, do you fancy doing it first and letting me know how it goes? tongue

Yeah OK!

Do you have a 4-port ONT? or a single port ONT? It seems certainly that they have no migration process which is madness.

I could push them down a new install. I can handle the visit as the ONT is in my wife's office not mine, and she will clean him thoroughly with anti-bac wipes. However it will be potentially stopped as non-essential leaving me swimming i the wind for the foreseeable.

I could handle a day or two interruption and use a wifi dongle for work as we won't have any guests. My concern is if that dragged into weeks the kids will kill me.

Dave

I only have the 1 port ONT, mine was installed 12 months ago.

Sounds like a similar situation to me, kids and wife would go nuts after a few days!

I'm just waiting to hear back from Cerberus regarding the cancellation process and then will make a decision. I assume there isn't any notice period if you're coming to the end of your contract..?

I use PfSense so i all i need from BT is the line activated and that's it. Surely that's almost instant these days....

48 hour activation for me and I already have service from them. you also have to have their router, whether you like it or not. £9,99.
Standard User rman
(regular) Mon 23-Mar-20 16:17:50
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
I'm just waiting to hear back from Cerberus regarding the cancellation process and then will make a decision. I assume there isn't any notice period if you're coming to the end of your contract..?

According to my contract (para 5.1 and 5.2), you need to give one calendar month's written notice of termination - even if coming up to the end of the initial minimum term - as it will automatically move to ongoing service.

Literally just dug mine out too, great! another £100 + VAT spend :'(
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Mon 23-Mar-20 16:22:46
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

What utter rubbish

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Mar-20 16:38:40
Print Post

[re: Chipmunk77] [link to this post]

Be sure to post a speedtest when you're upgraded.

Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 23-Mar-20 17:53:46
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

Correct me if I'm wrong, if everyone starts taking these higher speeds and starts to hammer them on a fully used 32 way split GPON the top speeds are not going to be great.

Edit: Changed from XGPON to GPON after reading candlerb post

Edited by dect (Mon 23-Mar-20 18:41:18)

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Mon 23-Mar-20 17:56:29
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Correct me if I'm wrong, if everyone starts taking these higher speeds and starts to hammer them on a fully used 32 way split XGPON the top speeds are not going to be great.

Yet to be tested but you have a point.

BTBroadband
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Mar-20 18:24:09
Print Post

Should be fine i can't see 10 different lines maxing out 1gbps for constantly long time it would be very unlikely.

Standard User rman
(regular) Mon 23-Mar-20 18:29:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:
Correct me if I'm wrong, if everyone starts taking these higher speeds and starts to hammer them on a fully used 32 way split XGPON the top speeds are not going to be great.

Is the XGPON the number of houses sharing a connection? I remember the open reach engineer mentioning a 4 port something he installed outside the house and that it was weird they sent him such a small variant...
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 23-Mar-20 18:34:15
Print Post

[re: rman] [link to this post]

Is the XGPON the number of houses sharing a connection? I remember the open reach engineer mentioning a 4 port something he installed outside the house and that it was weird they sent him such a small variant...

Standard GPON is 2.4G down / 1.2G up, which could be shared by up to 128 properties but Openreach's build rules share between a maximum of 32.

XGPON is 10G down / 2.5G up; XGSPON and XGPON2 are 10G down / 10G up. These would likely shared by the same number of properties. In fact, they can run side-by-side with standard GPON on the same fibres.

The 4-port thingy installed outside the house is probably a CSP (Customer Splice Point), a little box on your external wall where fibres are joined together.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Mar-20 18:37:58
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

The 4-port thingy installed outside the house is probably a CSP (Customer Splice Point), a little box on your external wall where fibres are joined together.

Sounded more like a description of a CBT to me.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to