General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Mon 23-Mar-20 18:53:42
Print Post

Re: FTTP 500 & 1Gb Prices are out

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Correct me if I'm wrong, if everyone starts taking these higher speeds and starts to hammer them on a fully used 32 way split GPON the top speeds are not going to be great.

Edit: Changed from XGPON to GPON after reading candlerb post

Correct but the odds of that happening are very slight.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User rman
(regular) Mon 23-Mar-20 20:29:55
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
In reply to a post by rman:
Is the XGPON the number of houses sharing a connection? I remember the open reach engineer mentioning a 4 port something he installed outside the house and that it was weird they sent him such a small variant...

Standard GPON is 2.4G down / 1.2G up, which could be shared by up to 128 properties but Openreach's build rules share between a maximum of 32.

XGPON is 10G down / 2.5G up; XGSPON and XGPON2 are 10G down / 10G up. These would likely shared by the same number of properties. In fact, they can run side-by-side with standard GPON on the same fibres.

The 4-port thingy installed outside the house is probably a CSP (Customer Splice Point), a little box on your external wall where fibres are joined together.

I don't have a CSP, my install Fibre running from the street direct to the ONT.

Just had a google and i was talking about the CBT, only 3 other properties can connect on (4 in total). The fibre cable he plugged in already had one end with a connector on.

I guess this means only 4 properties are sharing the XGPON throughput (inc mine smile )? If that's the case i'm the only one on this line, the other retired neighbors aren't interested!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Mar-20 21:25:11
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Works in plenty of other oountries around the world, and even some ISP doing symmetric Gigabit over GPON in the UK

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 23-Mar-20 21:32:19
Print Post

[re: rman] [link to this post]

Just had a google and i was talking about the CBT, only 3 other properties can connect on (4 in total). The fibre cable he plugged in already had one end with a connector on.

I guess this means only 4 properties are sharing the XGPON throughput (inc mine smile )? If that's the case i'm the only one on this line, the other retired neighbors aren't interested!

Your CBT will have 4 fibres (in one cable) going to a splitter.

In general there will be multiple CBTs hanging off the same splitter. However if this is FTTPoD, it will be just the one, and indeed you'll have the whole PON to yourself, same as me smile
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Mon 23-Mar-20 23:06:18
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:

Your CBT will have 4 fibres (in one cable) going to a splitter.

In general there will be multiple CBTs hanging off the same splitter. However if this is FTTPoD, it will be just the one, and indeed you'll have the whole PON to yourself, same as me smile

So I'm rural, I think the thing in the road verge had 4-ports on, is that the CBT I'm plugged into it on the longest ready made fibre they do, it came with one end made up so we had to pull it towards the house. Nobody else is nearer, or within the 350m that longest lead was.

Does that mean I will have the whole PON to myself, forever?

Edit: ADSL Checker is up again. Relevant bits as follows:

WBC FTTP Upto 1000 Upto 220 -- Available KCI2 Assure

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed Not Evaluated.

ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. A new ONT may be ordered.

Edited by F00tS0re (Mon 23-Mar-20 23:12:48)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Mar-20 02:36:00
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
In reply to a post by dect:
Correct me if I'm wrong, if everyone starts taking these higher speeds and starts to hammer them on a fully used 32 way split GPON the top speeds are not going to be great.

Edit: Changed from XGPON to GPON after reading candlerb post

Correct but the odds of that happening are very slight.

Agreed, I have never seen any speed drop that would show that, plus BT has their Minimum Speed Guarantee higher than the speed that it would drop to if everyone got the higher speeds hammered their connection, so I also hardly think it will happen.

But I think only 6 (doing my checks) of the 32 fibres from our Splitter are being used, so I should never see that issue anyhow.

Paul

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 24-Mar-20 08:13:13
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by F00tS0re:
So I'm rural, I think the thing in the road verge had 4-ports on, is that the CBT I'm plugged into it on the longest ready made fibre they do, it came with one end made up so we had to pull it towards the house. Nobody else is nearer, or within the 350m that longest lead was.

Yes, the thing you're plugged into is the CBT: that's what the C stands for (Connectorised).

In reply to a post by F00tS0re:
Does that mean I will have the whole PON to myself, forever?

No. The PON is the "Passive Optical Network", which means the set of properties sharing the same light signal from a single OLT port in the head-end exchange.

Somewhere upstream of the CBT will be a splitter, and that could be any distance away (the cable comes off a drum and is spliced). The splitter will typically be located somewhere that it can serve other properties. The splitter can drive up to 32 fibres: 4 go to your CBT, the other 28 are spare for now but may be connected in future.

I know how mine is done, because I saw them install it. I'm in a cul-de-sac with 25 properties. The splitter is located in a chamber at the entrance to the cul-de-sac. There are pavement chambers serving 2 or 3 properties each, and there's a CBT in the chamber outside my house.

So right now I have the whole PON to myself (like rman, my neighbours are elderly). But eventually, when Openreach retrofits fibre to the whole street, there will be other CBTs connecting back to the same splitter, and we'll be sharing the PON.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Mar-20 08:18:00
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:
It's like I have quoted a few times before Adrian.

People buy £80k £100k cars to drive around in when a cheap £5k car would do the same job.

My feeling is if you can afford it then why not.

Not really the same as a car, some people buy a 100k car for comfort, some people buy one to show off.

Some people will get faster broadband and yet never come close top us8ing the max out of it. I am ok with what I have got, not that I can get any faster, well I could go for 4G that would or should be a bit faster. I could afford those prices, but I would not pay it just for a bit more speed, not that pure fibre will be coming here for a while if it ever does in my lifetime.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Tue 24-Mar-20 09:29:12
Print Post

[re: rman] [link to this post]

Cerberus pricing is up, and as expected it's higher pricing because BT Wholesale is pricey I guess. 450/70 is the same price per month as FTTPoD, while 900/110 is £144 per month. £48 installation charge.

I think I may go for 450/70. I don't need faster upstream than that, and the Firebrick FB2900 router I use won't process more than 700 megabits as far as I know anyway.
Standard User rman
(regular) Tue 24-Mar-20 10:18:25
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
Cerberus pricing is up, and as expected it's higher pricing because BT Wholesale is pricey I guess. 450/70 is the same price per month as FTTPoD, while 900/110 is £144 per month. £48 installation charge.

I think I may go for 450/70. I don't need faster upstream than that, and the Firebrick FB2900 router I use won't process more than 700 megabits as far as I know anyway.

Too expensive for me, i'll be moving over to BT which is a shame.

I'm considering cancelling but ceasing the line early.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to