General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gregormac
(regular) Sat 28-Mar-20 09:59:37
Print Post

Gfast on a rural exchange,RFS ?

[link to this post]

Our rural exchange , ESGAG., has had a lot of work over the past 8 months. PCP 2 was reshelled and a gfast pod installed. The exchange has had a new air handling system installed apparently to cater for ultrafast. ( mentioned in planning application)
A lot of FTTP hardware installed on poles in the local area. ( track nodes, fibre trunking)
The gfast pod is powered and fans running.
Anyone in the know can suggest when Gfast might be rfs?

Thx

80/20 FTTC Zen Internet
Fritzbox 7490
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-Mar-20 10:13:30
Print Post

Re: Gfast on a rural exchange,RFS ?

[re: gregormac] [link to this post]

Don't forget that G.Fast and FTTP are completely different delivery technologies. FTTP kit on poles is nothing to do with the G.Fast pod.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Mar-20 17:00:40
Print Post

What makes you think it's a G.Fast pod on PCP2?

The cabinet is having VDSL2 capacity upgrades done.
What looks like a G.Fast pod is probably just a pod for expanding FTTC capacity.
The pods are identical for both and there's no way to tell from looking at them if it's for G.Fast or not.

The fact PCP2 is marked as being expanded suggests to me it might not be G.Fast.

I don't see the point of them rolling out FTTP and G.Fast at the same time either.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gregormac
(regular) Sun 29-Mar-20 10:13:54
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Hi, I guessed G fast as we have not had a waiters list, there are no new housing developments, there is a large proportion of the lines connected to the pcp that are under 300m, we are a very small and compact rural village. The planning application for the upgrade at the exchange (Where the pcp is) specifically referenced ultrafast broadband improvements, and there has been is no demand in the village for VDSL expansion. The DSLAM had a side pod extension about 2 years ago when we did have a waiters list hence why I thought G fast, but if itís VDSL expansion then oh well...

80/20 FTTC Zen Internet
Fritzbox 7490
Standard User derby13
(regular) Sun 29-Mar-20 11:16:54
Print Post

Are there vents on the pod? If so it's G.fast. If there's no vents it's just an expansion pod.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sun 29-Mar-20 11:43:17
Print Post

[re: derby13] [link to this post]

Its a VDSL pod. No G. Fast there
Standard User gregormac
(regular) Sun 29-Mar-20 12:00:13
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Bah. Thanks.

80/20 FTTC Zen Internet
Fritzbox 7490
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Mar-20 12:08:19
Print Post

[re: derby13] [link to this post]

Slight change:

There are VDSL2 side pods with vents attached to the copper green cabinets now, only by opening them can you tell the difference.

The side pods with no vents are copper expansion.

Why add more VDSL2 ports to the PCP, well as ducting in place it makes connecting up to the power nearby easier, plus avoids a new hole for a whole cabinet in the pavement.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to