General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Thu 09-Apr-20 12:09:12
Print Post

Consumer grade routers 1Gb

[link to this post]

I know that Openreach supply the BT Hub for the latest 900 package but which consumer grade routers are people choosing / using. tongue

It's a minefield trawling the internet on my poor throughput so hopefully get some help here. laugh

BTBroadband
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 09-Apr-20 12:15:12
Print Post

Re: Consumer grade routers 1Gb

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

What are your requirements which are not met by the BT Hub?
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Thu 09-Apr-20 12:59:50
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Since I already use the early BT Home Hub 4 here WiFi has always been an issue so some time back I bought a Netgear X6 R8000 and the difference was night and day regarding WiFi signal even with my poor throughput.

I switched the WiFi off on the BT Home Hub and run my current 1 mbps connections WiFi through the R8000.

If the 900 package (when I get it) will suffice on my Netgear R8000 I'm happy to keep it but always looking to learn what others are using.

BTBroadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Highland76
(newbie) Thu 09-Apr-20 13:13:08
Print Post

My Netgear RAX200 significantly performs better than my BT Business Hub 6 for Wi-Fi. Can’t get above 200 Mbs over Wi-Fi 5 in some parts of the home yet the Netgear gives me full 310/50 over Wi-Fi on a 330/50 line anywhere in the home.

It’s giving me real world file transfer speeds of ~ 1 Gb/s over Wi-Fi 6 with an actual link rate of 2.4 Gb/s to my desktop pc with a TP Link TX3000E pci card - this is is based on the Intel AX200 chipset.

Once I upgrade to BT’s 1000/220 service , I probably won’t get above 600 Mbs over Wi-Fi 5 but should easily hit 900 Mbps over Wi-Fi 6.

Alternatively if the RAX200 is out of your budget and you’re not too bothered about Wi-Fi 6, then I highly recommend the Netgear R8000P or Asus RT-AC5300.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User Highland76
(newbie) Thu 09-Apr-20 13:16:10
Print Post

In that case, keep the R8000 and see how It performs on the 1 Gig service before splashing the cash. You might be pleasantly surprisedsmile

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Thu 09-Apr-20 13:21:01
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:
In that case, keep the R8000 and see how It performs on the 1 Gig service before splashing the cash. You might be pleasantly surprisedsmile

Good advise and thank you for your input.

I knew I should have got the nighthawk ax12 in the first place. tongue

Well worth trying my current R8000 before deciding.

BTBroadband
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 09-Apr-20 13:26:01
Print Post

I see. If the issue is specifically with wifi performance from the home hub, then I'd suggest using one or more dedicated wireless access points.

I have extremely good experience with the Unifi access points: I have two of the AC Lite ceiling mounted, and they give great coverage around the home. They are dual band, with a raw 867Mbps bit rate on 5GHz; I can easily achieve 400M+ in real throughput after setting wide (VHT80) channels. The more expensive AC Pro or AC HD will give faster rates, if they're also supported by your laptop hardware.

The other good thing about the Unifi kit is the management software: it lets you see all your APs, which clients are associated to which AP and at what signal strength, how much data consumed by each client, schedule firmware updates etc. Also supports multi-SSID, VLANs, RADIUS authentication...

But it sounds like you're already using the R8000 just for its wifi, in which case it should continue just fine with the new home hub (or you can try it actings as a router without the home hub). Ethernet-wired PCs will benefit the most from the gigabit speeds, of course.
Standard User oldskool
(member) Thu 09-Apr-20 14:29:17
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

If you mean in the true routing sense, for 1Gbps, I've also been looking into this.

I am most likely getting a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite which with its hardware accelerated NAT is capable of delivering 1Gbps without CPU limits.

It looks like a good balance of stability, performance and cost.

Others a long the way were

MikroTik Hex
pfSense on a small PC
ASUS RT-AC86U

I believe some Netgear options have issues with BT'S PPPoE & IPV6

I believe the 1.6Ghz Dual code CPU in the ASUS 86u removes the CPU bottleneck from NAT throughput limits for 1Gbps WAN to LAN. Plus they have HW NAT Acceleration I their firmware.

I'd say that's probably a simple consumer unit that's easily going to handle it.

But I don't need the wifi, so think I will go with the EdgeRouter.

Currently I have wifi5, 3 AP's over 3 floors, all with band separation and careful power configs. They will give me 400-600Mbps typical in most locations. 800Mbps peak if extremely quiet. So I'll never fully utilise the DL but its the upload of 200Mbps that is the most important to me, for moving files around for work.

Until I get more WIFI6 devices I'll stick with my AP's and controller and use the EdgeRouter.
Standard User zzing123
(regular) Fri 10-Apr-20 13:47:02
Print Post

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

It really depends what you want to do.

Just plain gigabit routing and basic NAT? Even an EdgeRouter Lite will handle that as will all the Microtiks. In fact it can do a lot more like loadbalancing and OSPF it you really want it to.

If you want to do smart queues and QoS with fq_codel, you will need a bit more horsepower, and the EdgeRouter 4 or 6 will be enough for that, as will any of the beefier OpenWRT-capable routers. This already gets a bit much for Microtiks though.

Before you use EdgeRouter, also consider Ubiquiti's Unifi range. If you have CAT5 wiring and want to manage your WiFi APs, switches and routers via one management pane. Unifi is very cheap for what it is, but equally you're getting multiple APs, switches and a router and it adds up.

OpenWRT-capable doesn't mean you have to use OpenWRT. You can Tomato which is much more user-friendly.

Finally, the biggest horsepower requirement comes with IDS/IPS (intrusion detection/protection). If you want the device to sniff for any potential malware, it needs a lot of grunt to process at gigabit speeds. Only the Unifi UDM or quite a beefy pfSense PC (Xeon-D level) will handle that.

Note most of the above routers will not have a DSL modem. You will probably need to get one separately. You can pick up an ex Openreach HG612 for fleabay for £15-20 if you need.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Apr-20 14:22:45
Print Post

[re: zzing123] [link to this post]

NOTE: 1 Gbps service implies FTTP so the Openreach ONT is a fixed entity, no need to worry about DSL modem.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to