General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joemardo1
(regular) Mon 20-Apr-20 13:20:39
Print Post

Green ONT connector was faulty-FTTP

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

I got FTTP installed a few months ago, but developed a fault, as LOS was red in ONT box.

Anyways had the Openreach out today was lucky in the sense that the ONT is beside a window, he more or less knew what the problem was as soon as we had an initial talk, social distancing of course.

He indicated that it was probably the green connector in the ONT box.

So as he is not allowed to come inside (not that we wanted anyone to do so ) I was able to unplug the green connector and pass it out the window to him, and he put on a new one, that I then plugged in, was a bit surprised I actually did it as I'm a bit of a Frank Spencer in that department if I haven't tried it before.

Anyways it worked so back to normal now.

I did ask the engineer though if it was the same type of connector as went on before, and what he said was, well the old one was one the installer put together himself whereas this one, is specially engineered or something to that effect.

So just wondering going by his conversation about these connectors, as they do seem to have a lot of problems with them.

Any ideas to to what he is on about?

Many Thanks.
Joe

Edited by joemardo1 (Mon 20-Apr-20 13:26:45)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Apr-20 13:42:34
Print Post

Re: Green ONT connector was faulty-FTTP

[re: joemardo1] [link to this post]

The ‘field fit’ connectors have indeed been causing some issues ... failing, as yours did.

I would have hoped the engineer gave you a new lead with a ready fitted end on it, you would then feed the ‘tail’ out through the existing hole, and the this would have been spliced onto the original feed (and this housed in a new box)

If they just cut off the original, and replaced it with more of the same, the that won’t last long either ....

Standard User joemardo1
(regular) Mon 20-Apr-20 17:24:24
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Well it seems that he may have just cut off the end as I passed the existing thin white cable out the window to him, with the old green connector still on.

He did work on it for a while then passed the white cable back in again and I connected the green plug in, after pulling off the little plastic protector thing, that covers the end that plugs in. One end of the white cable was always connected to ONT throughout this, so it seems no totally new cable.

It does seem that this may have been only option open to him as not allowed in premises, I have the old type ONT though without the battery backup., I wouldn't be technically minded enough to do much with the ONT myself, even with instruction.

If is it what you think was done, how long do you think it might last, and what exactly is it that degrades the connector?

Many thanks.
Joe

Edited by joemardo1 (Mon 20-Apr-20 17:27:07)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Apr-20 17:42:17
Print Post

It does seem that this may have been only option open to him as not allowed in premises.

He could have passed a new lead through the window, and had you poke the end through the existing hole ?
I have the old type ONT though without the battery backup.

?? The ‘old type’ were the 4 port ones .... and should have had an ONT fitted.

As to how long it’ll last, who knows ??? I fitted one, testing perfectly good, and it failed two days later [sad]
But this is the exception rather than the rule.

Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 20-Apr-20 17:44:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by joemardo1:
One end of the white cable was always connected to ONT throughout this
What did you plug the refitted connector into if one end of the cable was already connected to the ONT
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Apr-20 17:54:48
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
In reply to a post by joemardo1:
One end of the white cable was always connected to ONT throughout this
What did you plug the refitted connector into if one end of the cable was already connected to the ONT

Yep, that though had crossed my mind too, but I suspect the detail has just been ‘lost in translation’

Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 20-Apr-20 17:57:27
Print Post

Maybe fibre cable comes in through wall behind the ONT so looks like it is connected to it
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Apr-20 18:10:26
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Nah, there’s no room behind the ONT.

Standard User joemardo1
(regular) Mon 20-Apr-20 19:13:25
Print Post

ah sorry for confusing everyone about cable, the optical cable comes around side of house and enters directly behind and into the whole ONT box as below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bt6LFLSsQweW43qzVUa...

So it seems on having another look, that the white cable I was talking about is actually inside that black cable ( I think they used overhead optical cable as they said it was stronger)

That black optical cable is inside another cable which was laid in front garden from duct in front of house , but only lighter black cable goes around side of house.

Hope you are able to see the pic which maybe explains it better.

Thanks.
Joe
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Apr-20 19:55:00
Print Post

Yep .... it was the fibre feed you unplugged, (there’s loads of slack) and he’s just put a new field fit connector on it.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to