General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adammjones
(newbie) Sat 09-May-20 08:52:22
Print Post

New Build Home - FTTC/FTTP?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

We’re just in the process of reserving a new build property. The developer has confirmed ‘full fibre’, but given other communications I’m not 100% they know what they mean...

I’ve used the Openreach checker with the address they’ve provided and can see FTTC of around 60 mbps, which would seem correct given the distance from the cab. The property also appears on an adjacent postcode with no details when selected. (see below)

Postcode 1 (given by developer) address, postcode, WN, A{11 digits}
Postcode 2 (next one over) address, postcode, {11 digits}, XX

The first postcode gives a normal check result, the second gives the following error:

Address elements that you entered did not match a specific address. Please amend your details and try again.

The house is a corner plot and most of the road that leads to it is FTTC, this was was built before the next one over which has FTTP, the plot we’re reserving is on the road at the bottom of the two.

Can anyone advise what this may mean? Thanks in advance!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-May-20 09:12:47
Print Post

Re: New Build Home - FTTC/FTTP?

[re: adammjones] [link to this post]

If the postcode and address are correct for the property and its saying FTTC available then FTTC is what is available NOT FTTP

It may be the property is set to be in a different postcode (postcode 2) but changes have not trickled through systems yet, ie. assume FTTC for now

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 09-May-20 10:05:30
Print Post

Keep the letters and documents from the developer and when it turns out to be FTTC only you will have a case against them. If they are promising Full Fibre then that is what they should ensure is available and if it is not could be forced to cover the costs of an install.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman3
(newbie) Sat 09-May-20 10:47:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

checkers don't help on newbuid

tell then you want to see where the ONT will be in the House (normally in a cupboard hidden away ) you also need to check who is providing the FTTP - is it openreach or has the developer done a deal with INFL or GTC or someoense - that means no openreach network on the site - if they are vague about any of the above id be nervous and ask for a conversation with the site technical director
Standard User jpm
(newbie) Sat 09-May-20 12:45:02
Print Post

Is it possible that you're getting a strange altnet service run by the builder - e.g. Persimmon's FibreNest?

Edited by jpm (Sat 09-May-20 12:46:08)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-May-20 14:26:42
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

That is another possibility

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NJSS
(member) Sun 10-May-20 07:31:45
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Get your solicitor to raise specific supplementary pre-contract enquiries to answer all your questions.

These must, of course, be raised before exchange of contracts. All is not lost however if contracts have been exchanged, but you won't be able to assert later that these were terms of the contract.

I am sure you know the questions to be raised. Preparing drafts for your solicitor to submit will save fees, and speed up the process.

Don't be fobbed off, make sure the developer is aware that this could be a deal breaker.

Also consider whether you want to be locked in to an ISP selected by the developer, if this is the case.

Find out how & when you can migrate to an "ordinary" ISP.

Good luck.

NJSS

Standard User Fastman3
(newbie) Sun 10-May-20 09:24:17
Print Post

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

if this is not an openreach provided FTTP Development you will only be able to have what is available from the the Operator the developer has agreed with . this is a fundamental quesion you ned to ask who is providing the FTTP
Standard User adammjones
(newbie) Mon 11-May-20 19:24:53
Print Post

Thanks all for the info and insight!

We are happy with the property and will be proceeding, the developer never committed to anything and we have a meeting set up with the site manager to discuss, amongst other things, the broadband installation.

It is confirmed as BT/Openreach supplying the network.

The only thing confusing me is the multiple entries on the checker, which as above, may just be migration that is yet to complete.

The house is just starting the internal fit, is it normal for the broadband to be installed and ready to order at this point?

As I say, we’re happy regardless as the speed is double what we get now on FTTC, and we’ve had countless issues due to the age of the network in our current house!
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Tue 12-May-20 10:14:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by adammjones:
The house is just starting the internal fit, is it normal for the broadband to be installed and ready to order at this point?

It is not normal for it to be installed at that point. The FTTP will be commissioned a matter of days before the property is complete as it requires electricity, painted wall to be mounted on, fibre splicing, etc.

In the case of the new builds here they were connected up a few days before the properties were occupied.

Until that's been commissioned the checker is unreliable, if it provides anything at all on the property itself. Don't go via plot numbers of whatever, the final address is what we're looking for.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User Fastman3
(newbie) Tue 12-May-20 14:31:31
Print Post

if the developer has not done anything that means its a copper site so certainly no FTTP if this is a small site and rural its quite possible there will no FTTC or not FTTC speed available - this would be very worrying about proceed as you currently have no idea what broadband speed might be avaialbe on your new home as your developer did nothing - you might only be getting 1 or 2 meg adsl
all openreach did was provide the duct and Boxes and that's it
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-May-20 16:16:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by adammjones:

Now would be a good time to make sure they are installing proper network cables, otherwise you'll end up the broadband connection under the stairs, or some other place where it's not easy to run cables or the WiFi is poor.

Standard User adammjones
(newbie) Tue 12-May-20 22:12:03
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info guys!

We have the full address and I’m using that in the checker. It shows ~60mbps on FTTC and no FTTP.

Houses that are finished and occupied on the adjoining road are only FTTC. The next road over is FTTP but they are phase 1 of the development and we are phase 2.

I’m happy enough we will get decent FTTC so I’m satisfied for now, FTTP would be the cherry on top smile
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Thu 14-May-20 12:02:18
Print Post

While 60Mbit may be okay now, this is likely to drop to 50, 40 or even 30Mbit as more people sign up on your cabinet and crosstalk does it's thing.

I know it's difficult if you like the property, but I personally wouldn't buy a new build property in this economic climate if it didn't have FTTP installed.

FTTC over 600M of good old Aluminium
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2869262320.png
Standard User Fastman3
(newbie) Thu 14-May-20 12:27:02
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

don't forget that address is an address / level postcode level - its not a DEL telephone number level so there could be variation and could depend how the site was actually connected to - the scenario about FTTC and FTTP and phases is very odd

I would still be very nervous of this
Standard User adammjones
(newbie) Tue 24-Nov-20 12:58:12
Print Post

Hi all,

We're a couple of weeks away from moving in (hopefully!)

We managed to pop down a couple of nights ago and managed to spot the ducting and cabling for the broadband.

Is anyone able to ascertain anything from the picture below?

https://ibb.co/7yhf3V8

The checker still shows similar results as my initial post. The postcode was registered with Royal Mail but now appears to have been removed for some reason. Three neighbouring properties appear to now be very recently occupied and appear on the RM Postcode checker but unable to get down there any time soon to ask them about their broadband situation.

When we saw the property in September, no external cabling was present and 'utilities' only went in two weeks ago. There appear to be two ethernet ports in the living room.

Postcode is SY2 6FJ (developer provided) and the address also appears under SY2 6FH, but this has been the case since May, with no change. The road and ducting was completed in September/October.

Thanks for any help!
Standard User jpm
(member) Tue 24-Nov-20 13:26:49
Print Post

That just looks like a Cat5e cable hanging out the wall for a copper service. If you're going to have FTTP available then it doesn't look like it's going to take the form of an ONT installed and the fibre in place when the house is completed.
Standard User E300
(member) Tue 24-Nov-20 13:31:47
Print Post

That is telephone cable. Basically some cable will be pulled through the ducting using the blue rope and a junction box added externally that will connect the two cables together. Inside will be a master socket for a normal phone.

That doesn't preclude FTTP now or in the future but I would say it is unlikely.
Standard User adammjones
(newbie) Tue 24-Nov-20 13:43:26
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

Thanks both, looking at the internal pictures we took from September, it looks as though one of the ports in the living room may actually be a telephone socket.

How does that work? Will I also need a master socket in addition to the built in socket?
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Tue 24-Nov-20 14:13:47
Print Post

Openreach will supply everything for a phone line when they come. You'll be frustrated for around 18 months while the postcode database is updated and eventually the sat navs follow. But meanwhile all your Amazon deliveries will be in the next street. Or, if you are unlucky and its a second hand postcode, about three miles away. True story...
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Nov-20 22:52:25
Print Post

Off topic, I know, but those two air vents look a little close to where the path adjacent to your house will be.

You don't want surface water from heavy rain finding its way in, especially if your ground floor is a suspended one.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User simon194
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Nov-20 08:29:19
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

The new build I moved into had a second hand postcode. I lost count of the number of times couriers called me to find out where I lived and then having to guide them.

It didn't help that it took more than 18 months for most satnavs to get updated and even Google Maps took over a year after I notified them of the new road.
Standard User adammjones
(newbie) Wed 25-Nov-20 09:12:33
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Luckily I've managed to get both Google and Apple maps up to date so hoping that solves a lot of issues!

The vents do look a little low to me, but there's 6 foot or so to the footpath, so hopefully won't be an issue...

I was having more of an in-depth look yesterday and it looks as though FTTP runs all the way down Gardeners Place and Murrelll Way and stops when Gardeners Place turns left and at the top of Gardeners Place at Old Rose Drive. From what I can see a house around 15 metres away has FTTP but we'll miss out... Ah well! Hopefully Openreach see it as a quick win at some point.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Wed 25-Nov-20 10:34:07
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
Off topic, I know, but those two air vents look a little close to where the path adjacent to your house will be.

You don't want surface water from heavy rain finding its way in, especially if your ground floor is a suspended one.

Cheers!

I agree, the air brick on the left is very low down compared to ground level. Hopefully they dig down when they fit path / garden.

Edited by gary333 (Wed 25-Nov-20 10:34:33)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to