General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(member) Wed 13-May-20 18:35:55
Print Post

Going beyond 330, when?

[link to this post]

Currently looking at ordering some FTTP Circuits for a client of mine of the Whiterashes exchange in Aberdeenshire (NSWRS) and they are all limited to 330/50mbps presumably due to ECI equipment in the exchange?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't openreach commit last year to swapping these all to Huawei/Nokia OLTs and enabling 500 and 1000mbps operations ont affected exchanges.

If that's the case, does anyone have a realistic timeframe as to when this might be done as it's a little frustrating to be limited to this when the FTTP network at this location was only built last year.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 13-May-20 20:12:26
Print Post

Re: Going beyond 330, when?

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by connormill:
Correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't openreach commit last year to swapping these all to Huawei/Nokia OLTs

There was a rumour about replacing ECI *FTTC* cabinets: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8456-openreach-l...

That article also mentions the issue about ECI FTTP. However in both cases, the answer from Openreach was that they had no plans to swap them out.

If you have 330/50 FTTP, at least you are in a much happier position than most people smile
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Wed 13-May-20 21:14:39
Print Post

Mine shows 330/50 and its a brand new installation, cables layed in Feb this year (why would they use old kit or kit unable to do full 900) where as all other FTTP pockets in the area on the same exchange are 1000/220, my address was even able to order 500 or 900 a week or so after I ordered the 330 (before the 23rd March), I would have had to cancel and re-order to get the 900, lucky I didn't as I would have missed the installs because of covid19.
Im hoping its a database error as im also still showing as FTTC as planned, like thats been for the last 2 years.
Im just waiting for things to get back to normal before trying to upgrade, by which time my 900Mb cityfibre should be at least booked or even installed hopefully.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User connormill
(member) Wed 13-May-20 21:57:40
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't openreach commit last year to swapping these all to Huawei/Nokia OLTs

There was a rumour about replacing ECI *FTTC* cabinets: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8456-openreach-l...

That article also mentions the issue about ECI FTTP. However in both cases, the answer from Openreach was that they had no plans to swap them out.

If you have 330/50 FTTP, at least you are in a much happier position than most people smile

whilst the 330 is nice, they will likely be taking 2 circuits and splitting the load across both as the need more bandwidth than 300mbps and an ethernet circuit was crazy expensive here

I'd much rather put them on a 1000 circuit and be done with it, but ti appears Openreach have other plans
Standard User Blmcg
(regular) Thu 14-May-20 13:10:52
Print Post

I'd much rather put them on a 1000 circuit and be done with it, but ti appears Openreach have other plans

Do you have an ECI ONT?
If it's not, then this is actually a BTWholesale restriction, either they haven't bought a 10G GEA CL or they don't have sufficient backhaul out of the handover exchange. 1Gb is available nationally on Openreach's side, except for ECI.

Blair McGregor
Network Architect - Syscomm
Standard User connormill
(member) Thu 14-May-20 15:51:31
Print Post

[re: Blmcg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Blmcg:

Do you have an ECI ONT?
If it's not, then this is actually a BTWholesale restriction, either they haven't bought a 10G GEA CL or they don't have sufficient backhaul out of the handover exchange. 1Gb is available nationally on Openreach's side, except for ECI.

Don't know
The circuit hasn't been installed yet

But both BTW and Zen came back with 330 as the max speed
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 14-May-20 16:56:24
Print Post

I don't think Zen offer anything faster than 330 anyway. My line is potentially 1000/220 on BTW checker, but Zen still only offers up to 300/45 on both home and business broadband.

Have you tried Cerberus' checker? They are one of the very few resellers of the higher speed services.
Standard User connormill
(member) Thu 14-May-20 17:58:29
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
I don't think Zen offer anything faster than 330 anyway. My line is potentially 1000/220 on BTW checker, but Zen still only offers up to 300/45 on both home and business broadband.

Have you tried Cerberus' checker? They are one of the very few resellers of the higher speed services.

300 on there too: https://imgur.com/a/OA7TvBt
Standard User chriswillsher
(newbie) Sat 16-May-20 18:15:44
Print Post

I came to this thread as I am getting tantalisingly close to finally getting FTTP. Our very rural exchange is the last in my part of Scotland (Perth & Kinross) to finally get enabled under the Digital Scotland Superfast Broadband programme. We have had the fibre in the ducts and on the overhead poles since October 2017 but have been held up by various "engineering challenges" such that all the on pole connections are now out of date and are being changed. The Openreach fibre checker tells me that we will shortly be able to get Full Fibre (Fibre to the Premises - FTTP) Technology that supports speeds up to 1Gbps. As far as I can see, no ISP offers anything above 330Mbps. Am I missing something somewhere?
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sat 16-May-20 18:47:49
Print Post

[re: chriswillsher] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chriswillsher:
As far as I can see, no ISP offers anything above 330Mbps.

BT Retail and Cerberus are the two I know about. Both offer 1000/110. Cerberus also offers the 1000/220 business product (expensive, and has £500+VAT setup charge).

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages/fttp-broadband shows two other options: Trunk Networks (never heard of them) and Spectrum (who I believe only cover certain parts of the country).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to