General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 19-May-20 19:03:14
Print Post

Re: Is the Universal Service Obligation a Bad Joke?

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

FTTP generally doesn't goto a cabinet but may do in rural areas where a subtended headend is installed in the cabinet to overcome the distance limitations of the PON.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-May-20 19:04:27
Print Post

[re: rgp] [link to this post]

Aggregation nodes are normally placed to serve around 1,400 premises with FTTP eventually, so in rural areas it can be several villages away

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-May-20 21:18:16
Print Post

[re: rgp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rgp:
Yes, but there is only 1 cabinet in the local village and it is on the main road, so unlikely that the fibre connection node is very far away from that cabinet.

More likely than not.

The Fibre Aggregation Node provides the fibre to a number of fibre cabinets, not just yours.

A single Agg Node might serve 3 or 4 cabinets (around 1400 properties) so in a rural area might mean it's a few miles away.

In fact, looking on Google maps, there is a large chamber right in front of the cabinet which seems like a possible location for the nearest fibre connection node.

Many cabinets have large chambers in front of, or very near them, even cabinets with no fibre available.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User noinchki
(member) Fri 22-May-20 12:23:15
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Hi,

I live on a hebridean island which has FTTC in the local exchange. Unfortunatley the nearest cabinet is 1.5 miles away and I get no better speed than ADSL2+ (9Mbps down and 0.8 up). I struggle with 2g mobile signal, so 4g is not an option. I got an initial estimate of £50k for FTTP via USO, and asked for a more detailed quote. They just came back with a detailed quote of £229k! There are 5 properties in the same predicament, but they are spread over a large area. Even if they were co-located we could not possibly afford this option. The USO is a bad joke from my viewpoint.

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-May-20 12:53:12
Print Post

[re: noinchki] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by noinchki:
I struggle with 2g mobile signal, so 4g is not an option.

Sorry to hear of your bandwidth woes. At 9 Mbps you are close to the USO's aim of 10 Mbps, I thought?

Have you tried all the networks? EE, Three, Vodafone and O2 for signal?

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 22-May-20 12:57:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In cases like this, you would think Openreach might think "outside the box" and provide a second FTTC line at no extra cost to the customer along with the a bonding solution. Suddenly their 9Mbps becomes 16 or 17, probably not 18 though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Fastman3
(newbie) Fri 22-May-20 22:37:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

the fftc at 3.3km wont be any help due to distance

the USO was you can demand a 10 meg service in the same way you can demand a phone line (issue is over 3,400 you pay expect 99.9999% phone line cost lest that 3.400 to instanll then ones that cost more make headlinie news , charged thousands fro a phone line in middle of nowhere) - - this is the same except there will be a lot more costing over 3,400 - that's the biggest issue with this

Reality of USO and what it means is coming into clearer vision
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 23-May-20 10:05:02
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

Read the post it was replying to - 1.5miles and 9 Mbps

So yes it would be of assistance. 9 + 9 = 18 and that is much greater than 10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User rjh321
(member) Sat 23-May-20 10:16:47
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

It's very hard to understand your posts. I presume they are meant to be in English - they don't follow the rules that I was taught!
Standard User Fastman3
(newbie) Sat 23-May-20 12:27:28
Print Post

[re: rjh321] [link to this post]

poster says in original post FTTC not available

I cannot seen that FTTC or any form of ADSL would form part of USO suite (either 4G or FTTP)

the USO sates you can demand a 10 meg service in the same way you can demand a phone line (issue is if that phone line is over 3,400 you pay difference - so in reality 99.9999% of phone line asks cost lest that 3.400 to install (so no cost / bill to enquirer) those that cost more that make headline Person charged thousands for a phone line in middle of nowhere) - the issue with using this principle is that significantly more USO cost will be greater than 3,400 - so expect more headlines about USO and cost of more premises - as the reality of what USO is and is not becomes more apparent

Reality of USO and what it means is coming into clearer vision
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to