General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User APTMAN
(regular) Wed 20-May-20 12:04:20
Print Post

GPON FTTP Install.

[link to this post]

Hello.

My question is about the location of the CSP and ONT .

It looks like BTOR are bringing GPON FTTP to our village sometime (hopefully soon ?), they have surveyed the ducts and installed draw ropes in them.

Our 'Underground' BT cable comes into our enclosed porch via an underground grey plastic duct of about 2" Dia or 5.08cm Dia and is about 100' or 30.5 metres to the BT manhole . (I know where the end is under a access panel in the floorboards) .

Can the CSP And ONT be located in our porch ?,

Had a word with our local Planning department who would Not like any box's being installed on the out side of our building as we live in a 'Special conservation area' .

There is power in the porch and my router and home Ethernet cables also I can make a 'Dedicate' location for the equipment.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-May-20 12:49:14
Print Post

Re: GPON FTTP Install.

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

CSP is usually on outside, the point being access is possible without entering a property.

If the duct does surface inside the porch then likely point where CSP will go though, for most properties it surfaces outside, so you are a bit different in that respect for underground served properties.

ONT can be some metres away from the CSP so inside property is normal, since not weather proof.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-May-20 12:50:21
Print Post

There is nothing installed outside of my house. The fibre cable runs along the wall and into the house where it then goes into the ONT. There isn't anything else installed before the ONT.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-May-20 13:06:15
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Current preference has moved back to using CSP as saves time stripping off the black UV proof outer, plus if internal cabling damaged e.g. dog eats it then just a new internal cable needed no need to replace back to the DP

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 20-May-20 13:14:24
Print Post

Openreach engineers are generally very helpful - if you explain that this is a conservation area, and given that the ducting already goes into your porch anyway, I'm sure they'll be fine with the CSP going there too.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-May-20 13:16:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OK, mine was only installed about October last year so assumed it would be a fairly current design but it sounds like they change the way the install every time the wind changes smile
Standard User Highland76
(learned) Wed 20-May-20 13:16:56
Print Post

The external CSP fitted on my outer wall is around 12cm x 10cm in size and comes in 2 colours (grey & brown) so could be blended in with brickwork. I don't see why your local planning dept would object to such a small box. I suspect when you mentioned "box" to them, they assumed the worst eg 1 metre wide box

Mine is just outside the porch. The lighter grey casing was already there before FTTP was installed:

https://i.postimg.cc/V67bDk65/IMG-001.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/SR3Yb1ch/IMG-002.jpg

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User threelegs
(member) Wed 20-May-20 14:02:20
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

as the duct already appears in the porch, for OR to fit an external CSP they would have to dig down to find the duct and break into it to bring the fibre out of the ground . fitting it in the porch sounds like a much better idea

Edited by threelegs (Wed 20-May-20 14:03:11)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-May-20 14:18:17
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

That’s an old style CSP .... they are smaller and more ‘box like’ now, and in your pictured scenario, would be fitted directly on top of that grey capping, as have room to house the existing copper too.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-May-20 14:20:25
Print Post

The ONT should NOT be sited outside, it is internal kit, not waterproof.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to