General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jun-20 17:00:09
Print Post

Re: GPON FTTP Install.

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
I was advised by BTOR it would possibly go straight into the ONT so no need for a CSP.
Thats good to know, as its ducted I don't believe they will pull in a new copper feed only a single fibre feed and the existing copper feed will remain.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jun-20 18:26:22
Print Post

I've only seen 1 FTTP install where the OpenReach ducting came right in to a property.
Coincidentally it came straight in to a porch.
I believe originally the ducting appeared on the outside of the property and the porch was added later.

Openreach pulled fibre through the ducting from the DP and in to the porch.
They then drilled a hole and fed the fibre outside and fitted a CSP to the outside of the porch.
The fibre then went from the CSP along the front of the house to where the homeowner wanted it drilled through in to the living room.

This was installed about 3-4 years ago before connectorised cables were a thing so a CSP was needed.

I'm not up to date on what fibre drop cables are being used at the moment so might be wrong but the only way to avoid splicing might be the connectorised cables that need the outer sheath removed for the internal section.
They come in pre made lengths.

There is also such a thing as an Internal Splice Point so this might be used, though I've never seen one.

Would be interested to hear how they eventually deploy this.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-20 20:22:53
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Worked on a new build estate in Maidenhead where the UG duct came up in the cupboard where the electric and fuse board were.

This was ‘old school’ BFT/CSP/EeZee bend to a four port ONT ...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Jun-20 17:09:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
There is also such a thing as an Internal Splice Point so this might be used, though I've never seen one.
It looks identical (including dimensions) to the original external CSP but in white (rather than grey or brown)

Edited by dect (Thu 04-Jun-20 17:09:36)

Standard User APTMAN
(member) Fri 19-Jun-20 22:12:25
Print Post

Battery backup units are no longer provided by OpenReach.
It's up to the service provider to give a UPS to vulnerable customers where appropriate, such as the elderly and in areas with a poor mobile signal.

I think we qualify for both counts, so hope to get a free one.

Does anyone know if a Free UPS has ever been supplied for anyone's new FTTP connection. ?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Jun-20 23:25:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
I think we qualify for both counts, so hope to get a free one.

Does anyone know if a Free UPS has ever been supplied for anyone's new FTTP connection. ?

Yes.

They aren't supplied by OpenReach though and aren't specifically for FTTP either.
They are also required for VOIP based services on FTTC like BT's Digital Voice.

It's the responsibility of the ISP to provide a UPS so it's them you need to request this from.

The older OpenReach battery backup units (that are no longer supplied) are effectively useless for making emergency calls during a powercut as they only power the ONT.

I know of BT issuing these.
You can order and pay for 1 during your broadband order or request 1 for free if you meet the criteria.
If there's indoor mobile coverage BT want you to cough up for the BBU.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/digital-voice--will...

I believe Sky have a UPS you can buy also.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 20-Jun-20 00:55:55
Print Post

The UPS kit from this company always used to be excellent, and I saw a current recommendation very recently on these forums.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sat 20-Jun-20 09:24:34
Print Post

If there's indoor mobile coverage BT want you to cough up for the BBU.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/digital-voice--will...

Nice. That page says you can buy it from the BT Shop.

But when you follow that link, a search for "BBU" or "battery backup" or "UPS" turns up nothing. (Well, UPS turns up lots of GPS watches)
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Fri 03-Jul-20 13:54:14
Print Post

My next question is about the problems I keep seeing about TalkTalk overloaded 'Backhaul' , I was looking into going with TT Business would these overloading problems still affect there business services ?.
Standard User jpm
(newbie) Fri 03-Jul-20 15:13:03
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

The battery back-up according to https://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/542144... is made by CyberPower, the model number is DTB24U12V-BT1.

I can't see any evidence of them existing, the closest is the https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/telecom/in...

Edited by jpm (Fri 03-Jul-20 15:14:51)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to