General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Thu 30-Jul-20 16:42:05
Print Post

Re: GPON FTTP Install.

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Only been waiting 20 Years. smile

20 years ago I tried to get our village interested in doing a B4RN Project,
https://www.facebook.com/pg/B4RNorth/posts/

They Did not seem interested also found out all the 'Dark Fibre' in a part of the major fibre highway 1 mile away was all 'Lit' up and no spare fibre available. frown

Fibre's Not New I was using it 50 years ago. smile
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-20 17:27:35
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
Fibre's Not New I was using it 50 years ago. smile

50 is a long time!
I was using fibre to the desktop (in an industrial setting) for 10 Mbps ethernet back in the 1990s smile

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Jul-20 18:21:05
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I remember going to a factory in East London (Leyton I think) who manufactured it back in the 80's. No chance that still happens there now frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Thu 30-Jul-20 18:45:46
Print Post

BT has been using it for over 35years but not for access. Surprised there were many using it in 1970!.
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Thu 30-Jul-20 22:20:40
Print Post

The fibre I used 50 years ago was in an industrial setting and nothing to do with telecom's, it was all very new back then.
Also early days on LED's only red was made in a glass envelope (still got some ).
Lasers where only just being developed as well.

The modern fibre is totally different now. smile

The chaps gave me a few 'Off Cuts' today and the total fibre's combined in the cores of the 3x 36 fibre cable would = one fibre cable back then.

The fibre that's being laid in our village is made in India and the CBT's are made in Poland according to the labels I read today.

We also had a new device back then called a 'Modem', even though they had been invented in the 1960's not many people knew what they could be used for.
we rigged it up between two offices using the telephone wires to send data from electronic instruments (our telecom's chaps were not impressed) it worked very well, where would we be now without a Modem. smile
We rigged up a system using modems for sending data from all around the uk to our head offices back in the 1970's smile

Edit.... the Modem we used in the 1970's was only the IC Chip, we had to build the rest of the circuit on a small piece of 'Vero-board' circuit board and powered it from a lab power supply.

It was great being involved back then in the development of what we call now our normal technology.

Edited by APTMAN (Thu 30-Jul-20 22:56:35)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jul-20 14:11:02
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Taras:
That is what i was expecting, regardless of it being overhead or UG.
So where is the CSP located for an overhead feed?

Michael Chare
Standard User Nick_W789
(learned) Fri 31-Jul-20 14:34:33
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
So where is the CSP located for an overhead feed?

Generally the same as for an underground feed - outside and low down so the engineer doing the splicing has access. The dropwire (fibre or duplex fibre and copper) is brought to the eves then down the outside of the building to the CSP.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jul-20 17:27:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
It was great being involved back then in the development of what we call now our normal technology.
What specific development did you do and who for and how was that then feed back into what we now call our normal technology?
Standard User ft247
(newbie) Fri 31-Jul-20 23:00:21
Print Post

[re: Nick_W789] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nick_W789:
Generally the same as for an underground feed - outside and low down so the engineer doing the splicing has access. The dropwire (fibre or duplex fibre and copper) is brought to the eves then down the outside of the building to the CSP.

It's hard to keep track of the installation methods - I thought overhead served properties used pre-terminated dropwire cable so no CSP was required?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Aug-20 07:06:22
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ft247:
In reply to a post by Nick_W789:

It's hard to keep track of the installation methods - I thought overhead served properties used pre-terminated dropwire cable so no CSP was required?

Connectorised fibre cables would, when first rolled out, go straight to the ONT with a field fit SC connector fitted by the installer for the final connection .
This was plagued with issues. They seem to fail a little too often. Stripping back any more than a couple of metres is a huge PITA and can sometimes damage the fibre within. If getting the overhead up took ages, and it often can, the customer would have to wait in to provide access. This method meant any future test access would be from the CBT (so not testing the final fibre drop) or need an appointment for access.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to