General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User oldskool
(member) Thu 02-Jul-20 21:32:23
Print Post

Re: Full Fibre 900

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Just an update on my install earlier this week.

External question.

The black fibre cable from the pavement comes up via the ground conduit into the grey housing which hides the copper. This goes into a splicing enclosure. The cable is visible as it transitions between the two.

Then out comes a white cable which goes back into the grey housing and into the property. However the drilling is just to the right of the grey housing and the hole is not sealed.

I know a pic would certainly help but questions. Should you see this white cable. I’d have thought it would be drilled behind the splicing box and thus hidden.

Is this white cable external grade and fully weatherproof.

Shouldn’t they have used a rubber gromet and or silicon sealant?
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Fri 03-Jul-20 08:13:00
Print Post

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by oldskool:
The black fibre cable from the pavement comes up via the ground conduit into the grey housing which hides the copper. This goes into a splicing enclosure. The cable is visible as it transitions between the two.

Then out comes a white cable which goes back into the grey housing and into the property. However the drilling is just to the right of the grey housing and the hole is not sealed.

Does your external setup look similar to mine?

https://imgur.com/a/jM0uqOq

The white exposed cable is weatherproof and *should* be sealed where it enters the property - at least thats what the Openreach bod told me. Mine uses the same entry point as the copper.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User oldskool
(member) Fri 03-Jul-20 17:14:39
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Here’s my install

External FTTP box

As you can see, mostly concerned about the lack of sealant.

If they are weatherproof then that’s ok. Just cannot understand why someone would do what they did. Why not just put the box above!

Ps I haven’t sealed it myself as I remember you aren’t meant to touch OR cabling. But this in my opinion isn’t the best and I want that hole sealed from the weather and insects.

Edited by oldskool (Fri 03-Jul-20 17:15:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User max1486
(newbie) Fri 03-Jul-20 18:49:31
Print Post

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

I've just had an FTTP install done today and the engineer has put absolutely no covering over it, just black fibre into the wall. Is this safe? Pic attached.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3j7icV9y7XPvmQA18

I see all of your installs have a box, whilst mine is just directly into the wall with the ONT on the other side?

Edited by max1486 (Fri 03-Jul-20 18:55:25)

Standard User Nick_W789
(newbie) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:05:43
Print Post

[re: max1486] [link to this post]

I thought the photo from the post before was bad, but a couple of bits of the blown brick glued with mastic over the cable entry???
Standard User max1486
(newbie) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:08:08
Print Post

[re: Nick_W789] [link to this post]

Yeah, I'm not particularly happy given the quality of other installs, I don't mind that much providing nothing will break by being out like that....
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:14:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by max1486:
I see all of your installs have a box, whilst mine is just directly into the wall with the ONT on the other side?

It seems you have a connectorized install, ie direct cable from ONT to Distribution Point (DP). Therefore no need for the external box (CSP).

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User max360
(regular) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:15:53
Print Post

Very poorly done. Where is the CSP box?

ISP: BT - FTTP 930Mb/110Mb
ISP: PlusNet - FTTC - 80Mb/20Mb

Birmingham Fibre First Program: FTTP - BT Full fibre 900 Halo 1 package - 930Mb down 110Mb up.

Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 24 - Funded Privately (Community Partnership).
Standard User max1486
(newbie) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:16:14
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Out of curiosity, what's the technical difference? Is this way any better?
Standard User oldskool
(member) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:16:19
Print Post

Looks like yours has no sealant either

You would have thought this is basic stuff

Ps my installer didn’t turn up with the grey box. He had to come back 2 hours later after picking one up.

Seems like OR need to make sure their training and instructions are in order

Not sure wether to seal it myself or phone them. Plus those cable clips will 100% break within 2-3 Years of weathering. Dangling fibre cables it shall be.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to