General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-20 10:14:40
Print Post

Re: Full Fibre 900

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

The 500 speed is what the lady on the phone said when she ran a test to the smart hub, which in itself is strange because when i have done a speed test over wifi i have can hit 600mbps on some servers, although i am not convinced as the results over wifi on iphone 11 pro are inconsistent.

The equipment i use is a netgear xr500 and although i haven't got access to a pc/laptop to do a ethernet speed test i can access the router and the speeds going to the router are at the most i have seen 555mbps, upload 101 so no problem there.

Tonight i will take my work pc home and run a ethernet test direct from the ONT and see what results that gives.

Also whilst on the subject when using the xr500 router and setting in the settings to respond to ping i have ran various BQM's but they keep failing after a few hours and giving the full red as if i have disconnected but the reason for this is the external IP address keeps changing, is this normal?
Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-20 10:16:45
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

500 was the speed the lady at BT was going into the smarthub, when i use my netgear the speeds going direct to the router are maxing at about 555mbps.

I dont have pc/laptop at home but will bring one from work tonight and do some ethernet based tests.
Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-20 10:19:31
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

no buddy i have never seen 900 speeds, the 500 was what the lady on the phone said was going to the smarthub and because it is above the minimum they set at 455 then basically she was saying stop complaining.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jun-20 11:13:42
Print Post

[re: Seedorf] [link to this post]

If a BT test direct into the hub, i.e. removing your Ethernet, WiFi and devices from equation is showing 500 Mbps then that is wrong. The person as others have suggested is used to the DSL scripts where people got different speeds based on line length, that is NOT the case with FTTP.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Tue 23-Jun-20 11:34:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Seedorf:
no buddy i have never seen 900 speeds, the 500 was what the lady on the phone said was going to the smarthub and because it is above the minimum they set at 455 then basically she was saying stop complaining.

Fair enough, but before you call BT again do a test with your PC plugged directly into the ONT port - because there's been a few reports that the Netgear XR500 can't go above 500 Mbps on a 1 Gig connection. I would test at a quiet time (say early am) to rule out congestion on BT's network. Use AAISPs speedtester as an additional check

http://speedtest2.aa.net.uk/

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-20 12:21:34
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

I am hearing that about the xr500, i will test the ONT later tonight thanks for this.

You have any idea why the external IP would change so regularly, tried running a BQM and it creates a graph for an hour or so then the IP changes and goes red like a disconnect.

i have had the xr500 running BQM's in the past i simply had to set respond to ping in the router settings and that has been fine but it isn't playing ball with bt FTTP.

I dont think the Smart hub with BT will allow me to do a bqm on its own.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-20 13:33:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Seedorf:
You have any idea why the external IP would change so regularly, tried running a BQM and it creates a graph for an hour or so then the IP changes and goes red like a disconnect.

Check the logs for pppoe disconnections and the reason why
Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-20 14:13:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes thats what she stated on the phone and with it being other the threshold of 455 then that is good enough basically, she is due to give me a call back tomorrow as she wanted me to leave the smart hub in for a few days and see if it increases, tried to tell me the reason it may not have increased was due to me using the xr500.

will play ball and see how it goes tomorrow but cannot imagine it is going to increase over night.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jun-20 14:14:03
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Not seeing lots of IP changes for poster, probably DoS in the router kicking in rather than a changed IP address

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GeoCyberwolf
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-20 14:21:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Anyone else noticing that the upstream seems to be capped at 20-30Mbps? It's meant to be 110.

Speedtest

I think BT have an issue with their GPON config for the 900 provision. as those on lower packages are getting their adverrtised upload speeds.

Edited by GeoCyberwolf (Tue 23-Jun-20 14:23:27)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to