General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 19:10:22
Print Post

Re: Full Fibre 900

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I have been using the one provided by BT, I also have a cat 7 I think the one that’s flat.

I’ll give that a try see if that changes things.
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Wed 24-Jun-20 20:01:26
Print Post

[re: Seedorf] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Seedorf:
I have been using the one provided by BT, I also have a cat 7 I think the one that’s flat.

I’ll give that a try see if that changes things.

It's not beyond the possibility that you may have a dodgy supplied cable.

I also make my own cables and purchased an RJ45 / RJ11 tester to make sure there were ok when finished.

Best thing I ever bought for less than £10. smile

BTBroadband

Edited by busterboy (Wed 24-Jun-20 20:02:17)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Jun-20 20:03:34
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Taras:
A really really stupid question but worth asking!

Have you been using the same Ethernet cable to the ont whilst swapping the routers ?

It's irrelevant.
It's not his kit.

BT have tested to the Hub and it only gets around 500Mb.
A gold plated Ethernet cable wouldn't help with that.

He needs to get the new Smart Hub 2 before being able to test any of his own equipment.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 08:54:31
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
A really really stupid question but worth asking!

Have you been using the same Ethernet cable to the ont whilst swapping the routers ?

It's irrelevant.
It's not his kit.

Actually it isn't. Cables can and do fail. He answered the question that it was a new one. The chances of it being the cable was under 1% but it was relevant. The reason i said it was a silly question, is due to the low chance it was the cable further it removes any chance it was his network that was doing it. If you are troubleshooting something you negate every variable that is in the mix and its so easy to forget that cable.

Obviously with further information we are probably looking the routers being the issue.
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Thu 25-Jun-20 11:43:05
Print Post

lets not quibble over the question it was worth pointing out to me so thankyou for that Taras, i dont think it is the cable as it appears the same on the provided wan cable with the SH1 and my own cat 7.

Will report back on speeds when i get the SH2, something else which will be good to share is that my mate is due to get his full fibre 900 installed today, he was the one who discovered i had a different smart hub as he said he got sent the SH2, anyways he also has an xr500 and only lives literally a street behind so it will be interested to see what speeds he gets from the same equipment.

I will just have to brace myself for bt telling me that his increased speed is due to distance to the exchange over FTTP lol
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 12:04:38
Print Post

Agreed, Ethernet Cables use balanced lines hence them being in pairs, same as the phone line which is why if one wire breaks you still get DSL but at half speed but also get a dead phone.

The same could be for ethernet cables hence half its speed there about, so I think it was a good question to ask also.

But you would see this if you could check the WAN Link Speed.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 12:05:42
Print Post

[re: Seedorf] [link to this post]

Yeah the Smarthub 2 looks way different to the Smarthub 1.

Paul

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 25-Jun-20 12:14:05
Print Post

Ethernet is either 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps link speeds, no inbetween values.

So a cable fault if getting 500 Mbps type throughput is unlikely

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Jun-20 12:54:46
Print Post

Actually it isn't. Cables can and do fail. He answered the question that it was a new one. The chances of it being the cable was under 1% but it was relevant. The reason i said it was a silly question, is due to the low chance it was the cable further it removes any chance it was his network that was doing it. If you are troubleshooting something you negate every variable that is in the mix and its so easy to forget that cable.

Obviously with further information we are probably looking the routers being the issue.

It is irrelevant.

I don't remember the ONT and Smart Hub having a 0.5Gb port.

They are connected to the Smart Hub from the ONT at 1Gb or they wouldn't be getting over 500Mb.

There's not a single test the OP can do to narrow this down.
They need the new Smart Hub 2.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Jun-20 12:56:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Agreed, Ethernet Cables use balanced lines hence them being in pairs, same as the phone line which is why if one wire breaks you still get DSL but at half speed but also get a dead phone.

The same could be for ethernet cables hence half its speed there about, so I think it was a good question to ask also.

But you would see this if you could check the WAN Link Speed.

Paul

The DSL signal can half with a one leg dis.

Ethernet doesn't work like that.

Edit: typo

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 25-Jun-20 12:58:54)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to