General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 15:08:00
Print Post

Re: Full Fibre 900

[re: Seedorf] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Seedorf:
lets not quibble over the question it was worth pointing out to me so thankyou for that Taras, i dont think it is the cable as it appears the same on the provided wan cable with the SH1 and my own cat 7.

Quite, after seeing a brand new sata cable fail. Its now on my troubleshoot list. You could have been using a 10 year old cat5 cable that was 20m in length - we wouldn't have known. Anyways.

Will report back on speeds when i get the SH2, something else which will be good to share is that my mate is due to get his full fibre 900 installed today, he was the one who discovered i had a different smart hub as he said he got sent the SH2, anyways he also has an xr500 and only lives literally a street behind so it will be interested to see what speeds he gets from the same equipment.

if hes close by and you don't get the sh2 today/tomorrow, it might be worth (if you are inpatient) to borrow it for a test.

I will just have to brace myself for bt telling me that his increased speed is due to distance to the exchange over FTTP lol

Oh god don't tempt fate!!!!!!! Seriously though if they do say that, tell them politely you are not on dsl but on full fibre.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 15:10:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've not seen what happens if an ethernet cable is substandard or longer than the spec it was designed for (ie pushing Gb on cat5 etc).
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Thu 25-Jun-20 15:42:50
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Wife told me the SH2 has arrived at home so will test later.

Thinking if i want to have accurate speed tests then i need to make sure i have the right equipment, right now we are unclear on whether we have an issue with routers (xr500 + SH2) or whether it is an openreach fault.

I tested direct to the ONT with the work PC but not convinced that was capable of 1 gig speeds.

If i was to purchase a laptop for example then what do i need to look for to get full speed tests, if someone had some options for me then that would be great, i'll use the laptop for other uses so it wouldn't be a waste of money entirely even though the house has various tablets which the wife and kids use.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Highland76
(regular) Thu 25-Jun-20 16:02:08
Print Post

You previously stated you were getting around 900 Mbps on some speedtest sites, was that with a PC connected to the ONT? You will be on the correct Openreach product (1000/115) if this is the case.

I suggest taking things one step at a time, plug in the new replacement BT router first and see what speeds you get using a wired connection to the router. Even if you plan on using your own router, I would keep the new BT router as a spare for troubleshooting purposes.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 16:47:32
Print Post

I tested direct to the ONT with the work PC but not convinced that was capable of 1 gig speeds.
It would be quite an old PC that can't cope. What is the work PC, can you tell us ?

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 25-Jun-20 19:55:36
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
The same could be for ethernet cables

No, it's not the case. Ethernet is not continuously rate-adaptive like xDSL.

However: 1000baseT (gigabit) ethernet uses all four pairs, whilst 100baseTX (100Mbps) only uses two pairs - one TX, one RX.

Hence if you break one wire or pin, and it's on one of the two pairs which are unused for 100baseTX, then the link will work but drop down to 100M in both directions.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:04:44
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
It would be quite an old PC that can't cope. What is the work PC, can you tell us ?

or a very very bad nic! .. That said, the nic could be fine itself, but plonked on the chipset and doesn't have the bandwidth.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:26:44
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Taras:
or a very very bad nic! .. That said, the nic could be fine itself, but plonked on the chipset and doesn't have the bandwidth.

Exactly, I've not seen many recently, but for years I used to have to pull a NIC and replace to solve problems (3Com 3c509 was always good for us). Desktop PC obvs !

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:29:31
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by Taras:

Exactly, I've not seen many recently, but for years I used to have to pull a NIC and replace to solve problems (3Com 3c509 was always good for us). Desktop PC obvs !

Pcie has helped with the bandwidth side. Plus most desktops are using either realtek or more expensive ones intel based nics.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:36:40
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

I have seen 1 cable in a wad of 48 a while back link up at 1Gbit but over time while transferring large data over the LAN the transfer speed would drop down to between 300Mbit to 600Mbit down it and the analyser tool used at the time showed there was a break x feet from one end (sadly in the celling space).

I removed the cable with the issue and then stripped the cable down carefully around x feet and I saw the actual metal wire was in fact broken but still touching with its outer casing intact, it seemed to be enough to setup as 1Gbit going by the switches, but seem to have issues when transferring at high speed after a little while.

That was what I was trying to explain.

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to