General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Mon 22-Jun-20 14:08:31
Print Post

Full Fibre 900

[link to this post]

So i have the 900 package with BT went live on the 8th, having been getting full speeds, download was capped to 50 but that has been fixed now at 101 upload however my download is averaging at 500.

The threshold is 455 and the person i spoke with on the BT fibre team says that my profile is all synced now and 500 must be the best i can get, this was frustrating to hear.

Fibre has only just rolled out in my area and i was the first to get it, was told by openreach engineers to expect close to a gig so it is a little disappointing news today, will look to downgrade to the 500 package as there is no point paying for 900!!
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Mon 22-Jun-20 14:11:47
Print Post

Re: Full Fibre 900

[re: Seedorf] [link to this post]

I'd ring again and hope you get someone better informed
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Jun-20 14:27:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Seedorf:
The threshold is 455 and the person i spoke with on the BT fibre team says that my profile is all synced now and 500 must be the best i can get, this was frustrating to hear.

That person doesn't understand the different technology, the comment relates to the DSL service such as FTTC.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Jun-20 14:35:23
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Agreed, I have only had this issue once when on the 300 package a few years back, but that was due to BT system put me into an over populated block of connections, I asked to be moved to another less populated block.
Then woke up the next day to see the connection had reset and now all was fine back to normal and I have never had any issues since.

So depending on who you get, they might just move the OP connection.

I am always polite to them on the phone no matter the issues, and 95% of the time it pays off.

Paul

Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Mon 22-Jun-20 14:49:56
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

will speak with someone else and hope for better results
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 22-Jun-20 16:14:53
Print Post

How are you testing? If you have done a test to the thinkbroadband.com tester, can you share the link which includes the graph with the yellow line that shows how the speed varies during the test execution?

It could well be that it's your own equipment which is limiting the speed to 500M, and this may be clearer from seeing the shape of the graph. The fact that you have ~100 upload means you're on the right profile.

It's not uncommon to have to do tuning on your machine to get gigabit speed. One thing you can try is booting from a Linux live USB stick and doing a test from that. This eliminates Windows network drivers, antivirus etc, and if you achieve 900M with that, you know where to focus your efforts.

Another possibility is that if you're doing a browser-based speed test, the performance of your browser can be the limit. Try a CLI speed tester instead.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Jun-20 16:19:44
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

What @candlerb said is correct but I'd just add, are you using wired or a wireless connection..455mbits sounds like an issue in your home network more than anything

Try also connecting direct to the ont and opening a pppoe connection
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Jun-20 17:58:23
Print Post

It may be your PC/laptop that is unable to reach above 500Mb/s.

Do you have another machine you can test with (wired)?

As suggested by others a link to a ThinkBroadband speed test (with the graph) can help diagnose issues.
Standard User mikeyboi
(member) Mon 22-Jun-20 18:01:36
Print Post

I had Fibre 900 installed on the 17th June, was also getting over 500Mb on ethernet using a cli speedtest. Reset my Router (Asus GT-AX11000) and once set back up again I was able to get about 920ish on the same speedtests over ethernet.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Mon 22-Jun-20 18:35:09
Print Post

So i have the 900 package with BT went live on the 8th, having been getting full speeds, download was capped to 50 but that has been fixed now at 101 upload however my download is averaging at 500.

Are you saying you were previously getting the full (~900 Mbps) download but that is no longer the case? If so and your hardware hasn't changed then this points to an issue with BT rather than something at your end.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-20 10:14:40
Print Post

The 500 speed is what the lady on the phone said when she ran a test to the smart hub, which in itself is strange because when i have done a speed test over wifi i have can hit 600mbps on some servers, although i am not convinced as the results over wifi on iphone 11 pro are inconsistent.

The equipment i use is a netgear xr500 and although i haven't got access to a pc/laptop to do a ethernet speed test i can access the router and the speeds going to the router are at the most i have seen 555mbps, upload 101 so no problem there.

Tonight i will take my work pc home and run a ethernet test direct from the ONT and see what results that gives.

Also whilst on the subject when using the xr500 router and setting in the settings to respond to ping i have ran various BQM's but they keep failing after a few hours and giving the full red as if i have disconnected but the reason for this is the external IP address keeps changing, is this normal?
Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-20 10:16:45
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

500 was the speed the lady at BT was going into the smarthub, when i use my netgear the speeds going direct to the router are maxing at about 555mbps.

I dont have pc/laptop at home but will bring one from work tonight and do some ethernet based tests.
Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-20 10:19:31
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

no buddy i have never seen 900 speeds, the 500 was what the lady on the phone said was going to the smarthub and because it is above the minimum they set at 455 then basically she was saying stop complaining.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jun-20 11:13:42
Print Post

If a BT test direct into the hub, i.e. removing your Ethernet, WiFi and devices from equation is showing 500 Mbps then that is wrong. The person as others have suggested is used to the DSL scripts where people got different speeds based on line length, that is NOT the case with FTTP.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Tue 23-Jun-20 11:34:29
Print Post

no buddy i have never seen 900 speeds, the 500 was what the lady on the phone said was going to the smarthub and because it is above the minimum they set at 455 then basically she was saying stop complaining.

Fair enough, but before you call BT again do a test with your PC plugged directly into the ONT port - because there's been a few reports that the Netgear XR500 can't go above 500 Mbps on a 1 Gig connection. I would test at a quiet time (say early am) to rule out congestion on BT's network. Use AAISPs speedtester as an additional check

http://speedtest2.aa.net.uk/

Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-20 12:21:34
Print Post

I am hearing that about the xr500, i will test the ONT later tonight thanks for this.

You have any idea why the external IP would change so regularly, tried running a BQM and it creates a graph for an hour or so then the IP changes and goes red like a disconnect.

i have had the xr500 running BQM's in the past i simply had to set respond to ping in the router settings and that has been fine but it isn't playing ball with bt FTTP.

I dont think the Smart hub with BT will allow me to do a bqm on its own.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-20 13:33:44
Print Post

You have any idea why the external IP would change so regularly, tried running a BQM and it creates a graph for an hour or so then the IP changes and goes red like a disconnect.

Check the logs for pppoe disconnections and the reason why
Standard User Seedorf
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-20 14:13:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes thats what she stated on the phone and with it being other the threshold of 455 then that is good enough basically, she is due to give me a call back tomorrow as she wanted me to leave the smart hub in for a few days and see if it increases, tried to tell me the reason it may not have increased was due to me using the xr500.

will play ball and see how it goes tomorrow but cannot imagine it is going to increase over night.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jun-20 14:14:03
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Not seeing lots of IP changes for poster, probably DoS in the router kicking in rather than a changed IP address

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GeoCyberwolf
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-20 14:21:20
Print Post

Anyone else noticing that the upstream seems to be capped at 20-30Mbps? It's meant to be 110.

Speedtest

I think BT have an issue with their GPON config for the 900 provision. as those on lower packages are getting their adverrtised upload speeds.

Edited by GeoCyberwolf (Tue 23-Jun-20 14:23:27)

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-20 14:26:14
Print Post

Can you please explain your network set up.?
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-20 14:26:59
Print Post

So unlikely that the router is rebooting.
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Tue 23-Jun-20 14:58:19
Print Post

the setup is either the xr500 to the ONT or the provided smart hub to the ONT.

the only devices i have going to either router are the PS4 and my iphone 11 pro.

I have virgin media 330 package for all other devices in house for sky tv, kids tablets and nest heating app etc.

keeping my wife and kids off the network when i am gaming haha
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-20 19:27:46
Print Post

Nothing usual from that.

As i'm completely lost with the two threads, have you tried a wired connection to the sh2 and also th xr500?

Also have you tried a direct connection to the ont.

And as a last resort a power cycle on the ont?
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Tue 23-Jun-20 21:00:23
Print Post

Yes tried connecting wired to the Smart hub and the xr500, i may add they have sent me the original smart hub and not the new version which i did find odd to be honest as everyone else is getting the sh2.

i have brought my pc home from the office and just done a wired test using the smart hub.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15929421317...

Please take a look let me know i have done this correctly.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Jun-20 21:01:48
Print Post

[re: GeoCyberwolf] [link to this post]

Try turning off your router, wait 30 to 60 seconds and turn it back on.

Some people have had that issue and restarting the router resolved it.

Paul

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Tue 23-Jun-20 21:15:36
Print Post

been doing that almost every day for 3 weeks with no success.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Jun-20 21:16:06
Print Post

… tried connecting wired to the Smart hub and the xr500, i may add they have sent me the original smart hub and not the new version which i did find odd to be honest as everyone else is getting the sh2.

Erm, I am not reading that wrong am I, but you don't have them both (Netgear and Smarthub) connected up do you ?

As for not getting a Sharthub 2, why didn't BT ship you one, I don't use mine myself, but I have it in case of issues with the connection.

Also can the Smarthub 1 even handle 1GBit? my old Smarthub 1 had sluggish issues when we used it on our 300Mbit connection.

When you speak to BT next, I would ask for a Smarthub 2 to be sent out to you, you "might" have to pay £9.99 postage and BT will own the Smarthub 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if its the Smarthub 1 and Netgear Routers not being able to handle the speed.

Was it you that said your IP kept changing (might be somebody else), but that could be the router rebooting due to it not being able to keep up and thinking it had crashed.

Paul

Standard User nicknack101uk
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-20 21:18:59
Print Post

I went live on the 17th June, swapped the SH2 for a TP-Link Archer C9. Get a solid 890Mb down and 110Mb upload.

BT FTTP
TP-Link Archer C9
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Jun-20 21:22:43
Print Post

been doing that almost every day for 3 weeks with no success.

Was your reply to the rebooting of the router, that reply was to somebody else.

Paul

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Tue 23-Jun-20 21:43:02
Print Post

No I’m not using both at same time I switch between the two see what’s has best results.

When I get the call tomorrow I’ll mention why I got the older version.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-20 22:15:57
Print Post

Try directly connecting the laptop to the ont, via the wan cable.

Create a pppoe connection and then run the test
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-20 22:44:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Erm, I am not reading that wrong am I, but you don't have them both (Netgear and Smarthub) connected up do you ?

That thought had crossed my mind too. Hence my Q!

Was it you that said your IP kept changing (might be somebody else), but that could be the router rebooting due to it not being able to keep up and thinking it had crashed.

Paul

It was Seedorf, and again that was my thinking too. The quickest route would be to do a direct pppoe connection to the ont and hopefully the laptop nic is up to the job!
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 00:11:35
Print Post

this is the results of going direct to the ONT to laptop, funnily enough appears worse than the one to the smarthub.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15929534245...
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 00:38:06
Print Post

this is the results of going direct to the ONT to laptop, funnily enough appears worse than the one to the smarthub.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15929534245...

The speed that you get would depends on the specs of the PC / Laptop you connected to the ONT.
Its having issues even doing the full 110Mbits up.

Paul

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 08:45:41
Print Post

Yes paul i am not convinced the laptop is giving me the most accurate account tbh, weirdly when i try fast.com it is showing speeds upto 900 but i cannot get that anywhere else so will take with pinch of salt.

I am due the call today so will await her doing another test as she tested and said it was 500 to the smart hub, will ask why i got version 1 and not SH2 aswell.

Something is a miss as this is not performing aswell as it should that is one thing i know without having to do tests.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Wed 24-Jun-20 09:20:17
Print Post

The trick is not to rely on 1 speedtester only. On my multiple 330/50 lines, I've never seen more than 150 Mbps on the TBB tester. However nearly every Ookla server gives me around 310 Mbps on both single & multi thread tests. Real life downloads max at about 40 MB/s. Ditto on fast.com. So absolutely nothing to lose sleep over.

The fact that you're seeing 900 Mbps on fast.com (Netflix speedtester) may mean there's nothing wrong.

What do the various Ookla (speedtest.net) servers give you? I would manually choose the Vodafone test server in London and Xilo's server in Maidenhead as they seem to be fairly accurate. Also try the AAISP tester as well
http://speedtest2.aa.net.uk/

Edited by Highland76 (Wed 24-Jun-20 09:26:58)

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 10:39:45
Print Post

yeah i agree with your comments, im very much a novice in this field but one thing i have noticed is speed testing in general has many variables and results are wide spread.

last night i must have spent a good few hours on different sites using various browsers and like i say fast was sometimes giving me 900 speeds, then 300!

Ookla was the most up and down i seen some servers capping at 100mbps and i was getting over 800 on a few in london, london servers tended to yield the best results (im in manchester)

I tried the one you have linked to also that was similar giving various results.

So after last nights tests if anything i am even more lost, the fact that i seen 900 on some is probably good news although TBB tester never went over 500.

with BT themselves saying 500 was what was going to my router and the xr500 only detecting 550 i just dont know haha.

i will however discuss with them today why i seem to be the only one that received the old style smart hub but i dont suspect that is the specific fix.

A few teething ussues yet with the 900 service for me.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jun-20 10:44:20
Print Post

Have seen fast giving people results around 20% higher than is possible on connections

When you say the xr500 is detecting only 550, where it is saying this?

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 11:06:10
Print Post

Mr saffron the xr500 detects around 550 when i do an internet wizard setup for new connection it searches for the ppoe connection and it shows my speed results.

I also have the netear app and i can remote login to do a speed test and thats another result showing around the 500 speeds.

I am reading the xr500 for some are struggling to get the 1gig speeds but also many others saying they're fine with it so i cannot be sure.

i will have a look on forums see if there is a solution.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jun-20 11:19:46
Print Post

Disabled QoS and anti buffer bloat settings?

On the speeds if that is the page that says 'your estimated bandwidth speeds' then this is I believe from a short speed test the router runs, the idea being by telling you these figures you can play around with the QoS to ensure gaming traffic is given priority.

Standard User Highland76
(regular) Wed 24-Jun-20 11:38:21
Print Post

If you’re also getting above 500 Mbps on some ookla servers then it seems BT have correctly provisioned you on the Fibre 900 package despite what they told you over the phone. Very important to remember that on the high speed services (>80/20) Speedtest results will vary much much more than say 40/10 FTTx. The only thing I would suggest is getting a more powerful router such as the Asus RT-AC86U or Netgear’s RAX120 (if you want their latest & greatest Wi-fi 6 router), these are significantly more powerful than the XR500. Having a beefier router CPU which supports hardware acceleration *should* improve things.

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 11:47:07
Print Post

Yes disabled QOS and bufferbloat as advised by the netgear team.

Someone suggested to manuall put in the 900 speeds as that will fix but not had chance to try that so i'll give it a go when i get home later.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Jun-20 12:52:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Highland76:
Having a beefier router CPU which supports hardware acceleration *should* improve things.

I was wondering what the max WAN to LAN was on the x500 with PPPoE as that could be causing issues.

Standard User Highland76
(regular) Wed 24-Jun-20 13:11:06
Print Post

Yeah I suspect the XR500 is the cause (or partial cause) of the OP's issues.

I suggest he has a look here, which might help:

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/article...

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Jun-20 13:20:40
Print Post

BT have done tests direct to their hub, with no equiptment connected.

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4649730-re...

His XR500 would obviously be a bottleneck, but he needs to sort his speeds to the hub 1st.

Only BT can do that.

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 24-Jun-20 13:23:51)

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 13:27:30
Print Post

it could well be a bottleneck issue with the xr500 but also from the horses mouth the speed direct to the hub is an issue as she said it was around 500 on the phone.

awaiting the call back today so fingers crossed i get someone willing to play ball as the customer service is so hit and miss, i always find myself going into creep mode when speaking with them and being super polite it cringes me out but i feel i have to do so in order not to enrage the beast haha
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 13:36:09
Print Post

The way I see it, if BT only see up to 500Mbits to the SmartHub 1, then its either the following:
  • The Smarthub 1 cannot handle that speed which I think it won't.
  • Your Netgear Router also has issues with higher than 500Mbits.
  • BT have you set on a wrong profile (maybe) not sure, but they should see this if looking into the issue.
  • There is an external issue like the fibre joint is done badly.

There are probably other issues that might cause the issue on your connection that other people my know about.

So I would first ask for a Smarthub 2 to be sent to you (will take 1 to 3 days to arrive depending what time you requested for one, so phone in the morning at 8am to 9am if you can), please note that the Smarthub 2 is BT property so when you leave you will have to send it back to them, plus you "might" have to pay £9.99 postage for it.

The good news is none of your internal wiring is causing this.

Also with FTTP you should be syncing up at your speed (possibly 900Mbit to 1Gbit) and BT should see this sync speed, so I would ask them what speed is their system saying the Smarthub 1 is syncing at (not its download speed) if they say 500 then its one of the above issues that THEY need to resolve.

If you still get no joy from the phone call today, kindly ask to speak to their manager due to your issue with your connection hasn't been resolved and its been going on for X time and that you will be making a complaint after that call.

If you get put through to their manager, just explain what the issue is and say you shouldn't be getting 500Mbits on a 900Mbit package over FTTP unless there is issues with their network and that you should be connecting / syncing at +900Mbits, also once again kindly tell them that you will making a complaint if this issue is not resolved by the time that they have said.

The issue is probably something silly like the routers used (Smarthub 1 and Netgear XR500) having issues with speeds above 500Mbits hence the router resting resulting in a different IP a lot.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 13:48:25
Print Post

I think fast.com is a rubbish speed tester, it said I was getting between 1.2Gbit to 1.65Gbit when I was on 300Mbits.

TBH I do 2 Multi-Threaded tests on the Ookla (speedtest.net) and 1 to 2 of each IPv4 and IPv6 TBB Speedtests and compare all the test.
You can normally see speeds around the same results.

The results to the AAISP tester are ok:
#1 Download: 985Mbps, Upload: 121Mbps.
#2 Download: 895Mbps, Upload: 123Mbps.
#3 Download: 954Mbps, Upload: 125Mbps.
#4 Download: 926Mbps, Upload: 122Mbps.

So not sure which one is correct there, but I would pick a speed between all the results.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 13:55:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:

BT have done tests direct to their hub, with no equiptment connected.

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4649730-re...

His XR500 would obviously be a bottleneck, but he needs to sort his speeds to the hub 1st.

Only BT can do that.

Agreed, they are also seeing the same speed issues on the Smarthub 1 which I think cannot handle above 500Mbits as well, so they might need BT to send them out a Smarthub 2 for them to use.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 14:07:46
Print Post

it could well be a bottleneck issue with the xr500 but also from the horses mouth the speed direct to the hub is an issue as she said it was around 500 on the phone.

Well I am also thinking this with that router along with the SMarthub 1 that you got sent, which I think you should of got given a Smarthub 2 for the 900 Package.

awaiting the call back today so fingers crossed i get someone willing to play ball as the customer service is so hit and miss, i always find myself going into creep mode when speaking with them and being super polite it cringes me out but i feel i have to do so in order not to enrage the beast haha

Yeah, it is hit and miss, I have been lucky 96% of the time and for the 4% I just wait a day and then phone again and hope to get a different person.

I am always polite, but I stand my grounds, also I sit down before the phone call and think what they could say so that I have an answer to the reason that they come up with.

But I might just be lucky or the account information has loads of notes referring that I don't give up and can and will contact my local MP and also pester the CEO and Chairman's Office until my issue has been resolved.

I know there is some info like that on our account, due to their tone in their voice changes after they have read some the info on the account.

Paul

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jun-20 14:40:04
Print Post

The Smart Hubs have a small speed test service in them, so most likely that is what BT is referring to

So if the old Smart Hub 1 that was never used on the 500/900 services has been tested to route 900 Mbps with PPPoE then it is likely it is a bottleneck issue

OR

The service is misconfigured.

In short until you get a setup that is similar to others it is hard to judge, but from looking at the speed tests you've posted from the tbb tester if the issue was a hard cap i.e. configured to 500 rather than 900 would have expected the speed to be nailed to 500. Your tests seem variable suggesting congestion or throughput issues on one or more device.

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 14:50:36
Print Post

Spoken with BT again today i explained i have the smart hub 1 adn not the SH2 and they agreed to send the newer one out which i will receive tomorrow.

Whilst on the phone he did a test and confirmed 504mbps to the SH1, he did reiterate that although the newer router may increase the speeds that i should not expect 910 download as advertised.

I didn't lay into him i think we will cross that bridge when we get to it after doing a test on the SH2.

thanks for all your help guys you have been great, i will keep you posted with results with the SH2.

In the meantime i am going to look into why the xr500 is capping at 550, seen a few ppl with this issue.

testing leads me to believe that all along it may have been a router issue and if i can fix those then i should be seeing the higher more reliable speeds in future.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 15:15:34
Print Post

Spoken with BT again today i explained i have the smart hub 1 adn not the SH2 and they agreed to send the newer one out which i will receive tomorrow.

Nice, did you have to pay the postage, I was lucky and got mine for free.
I hope the speeds are a lot better.

Whilst on the phone he did a test and confirmed 504mbps to the SH1, he did reiterate that although the newer router may increase the speeds that i should not expect 910 download as advertised.

TBH, I think what he said was nonsense, if you are on a 900Mbit package then it should be syncing up at 900Mbit to 1Gbit to the ONT / Router, now the actual down and up speeds would depend on the router used.

If its syncing up at 504Mbits then BT have either stuck you on the 500Mbit Package by mistake or they have an issue within their infrastructure whether it be in the fibre joint outside your home, or an issue in the link to the exchange or in BT network itself.

TBH I still think that you have been put on a 500Mbit Profile hence the 504Mbits, but we will see when you get the Smarthub 2 all setup and done a few speed tests on speedtest.net and the TBB tests, you might be lucky and it was just that.

I didn't lay into him i think we will cross that bridge when we get to it after doing a test on the SH2.

Hopefully it will resolve all your speed issues.

thanks for all your help guys you have been great, i will keep you posted with results with the SH2.

In the meantime i am going to look into why the xr500 is capping at 550, seen a few ppl with this issue.

testing leads me to believe that all along it may have been a router issue and if i can fix those then i should be seeing the higher more reliable speeds in future.

Yeah, hopefully it was a router issue, but yeah there are not that many routers out there with a nice price tag on them that works on this higher speeds.

Paul

Standard User Highland76
(regular) Wed 24-Jun-20 15:19:47
Print Post

He probably meant don't expect 910 Mbps 24/7/365, which makes sense because its a contended service. BT guarantee a minimum speed of around 450 Mbps at busy times on the Fibre 900 service but of course you should be hitting the maximum at off-peak times, eg 3am.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jun-20 15:50:32
Print Post

Its GPON so no syncing, ONT connects at 2.488 Gbps downstream and 1.244 Gbps upstream

The PPPoE session does not sync either, there are caps in place depending on the product paid for and hopefully this gets configured right at either end of the connection.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 16:50:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Its GPON so no syncing, ONT connects at 2.488 Gbps downstream and 1.244 Gbps upstream

The PPPoE session does not sync either, there are caps in place depending on the product paid for and hopefully this gets configured right at either end of the connection.

Yeah I wasn't too sure what exactly happens each end, I know the OP should be seeing more than what he is getting, maybe when they get their new Smarthub 2 router and does some tests they will see the correct speeds.

Paul

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Jun-20 17:11:14
Print Post

A really really stupid question but worth asking!

Have you been using the same Ethernet cable to the ont whilst swapping the routers ?

Edited by Taras (Wed 24-Jun-20 18:26:03)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-20 17:28:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Taras:

Have you been the same Ethernet cable to the ont whilst swapping the routers ?

That is a good question, it never even occurred to me to think about the WAN cable, I have always made my own cables, so I know they "should" work.

Paul

Standard User Highland76
(regular) Wed 24-Jun-20 19:01:01
Print Post

Ookla was the most up and down i seen some servers capping at 100mbps and i was getting over 800 on a few in london, london servers tended to yield the best results (im in manchester)

the fact that i seen 900 on some is probably good news although TBB tester never went over 500.

Were you consistently getting 800+ Mbps on some Ookla servers with a PC connected directly to the ONT? If so, then this suggests the BT router and possibly the XR500 is your bottleneck. Re: slow TBB results, this is probably down to the links between TBB servers and the BT server you're connected to. This also happens on my BT line as I've never seen the TBB tester give anything more than 150 Mbps on my 330/50 FTTP line, despite getting 310 Mbps on most Ookla servers. Ditto for some Virgin customers as well.

Edited by Highland76 (Wed 24-Jun-20 19:04:50)

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Wed 24-Jun-20 19:10:22
Print Post

I have been using the one provided by BT, I also have a cat 7 I think the one that’s flat.

I’ll give that a try see if that changes things.
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Wed 24-Jun-20 20:01:26
Print Post

I have been using the one provided by BT, I also have a cat 7 I think the one that’s flat.

I’ll give that a try see if that changes things.

It's not beyond the possibility that you may have a dodgy supplied cable.

I also make my own cables and purchased an RJ45 / RJ11 tester to make sure there were ok when finished.

Best thing I ever bought for less than £10. smile

BTBroadband

Edited by busterboy (Wed 24-Jun-20 20:02:17)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Jun-20 20:03:34
Print Post

Have you been using the same Ethernet cable to the ont whilst swapping the routers ?

It's irrelevant.
It's not his kit.

BT have tested to the Hub and it only gets around 500Mb.
A gold plated Ethernet cable wouldn't help with that.

He needs to get the new Smart Hub 2 before being able to test any of his own equipment.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 08:54:31
Print Post

It's irrelevant.
It's not his kit.

Actually it isn't. Cables can and do fail. He answered the question that it was a new one. The chances of it being the cable was under 1% but it was relevant. The reason i said it was a silly question, is due to the low chance it was the cable further it removes any chance it was his network that was doing it. If you are troubleshooting something you negate every variable that is in the mix and its so easy to forget that cable.

Obviously with further information we are probably looking the routers being the issue.
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Thu 25-Jun-20 11:43:05
Print Post

lets not quibble over the question it was worth pointing out to me so thankyou for that Taras, i dont think it is the cable as it appears the same on the provided wan cable with the SH1 and my own cat 7.

Will report back on speeds when i get the SH2, something else which will be good to share is that my mate is due to get his full fibre 900 installed today, he was the one who discovered i had a different smart hub as he said he got sent the SH2, anyways he also has an xr500 and only lives literally a street behind so it will be interested to see what speeds he gets from the same equipment.

I will just have to brace myself for bt telling me that his increased speed is due to distance to the exchange over FTTP lol
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 12:04:38
Print Post

Agreed, Ethernet Cables use balanced lines hence them being in pairs, same as the phone line which is why if one wire breaks you still get DSL but at half speed but also get a dead phone.

The same could be for ethernet cables hence half its speed there about, so I think it was a good question to ask also.

But you would see this if you could check the WAN Link Speed.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 12:05:42
Print Post

Yeah the Smarthub 2 looks way different to the Smarthub 1.

Paul

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 25-Jun-20 12:14:05
Print Post

Ethernet is either 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps link speeds, no inbetween values.

So a cable fault if getting 500 Mbps type throughput is unlikely

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Jun-20 12:54:46
Print Post

Actually it isn't. Cables can and do fail. He answered the question that it was a new one. The chances of it being the cable was under 1% but it was relevant. The reason i said it was a silly question, is due to the low chance it was the cable further it removes any chance it was his network that was doing it. If you are troubleshooting something you negate every variable that is in the mix and its so easy to forget that cable.

Obviously with further information we are probably looking the routers being the issue.

It is irrelevant.

I don't remember the ONT and Smart Hub having a 0.5Gb port.

They are connected to the Smart Hub from the ONT at 1Gb or they wouldn't be getting over 500Mb.

There's not a single test the OP can do to narrow this down.
They need the new Smart Hub 2.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Jun-20 12:56:08
Print Post

Agreed, Ethernet Cables use balanced lines hence them being in pairs, same as the phone line which is why if one wire breaks you still get DSL but at half speed but also get a dead phone.

The same could be for ethernet cables hence half its speed there about, so I think it was a good question to ask also.

But you would see this if you could check the WAN Link Speed.

Paul

The DSL signal can half with a one leg dis.

Ethernet doesn't work like that.

Edit: typo

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 25-Jun-20 12:58:54)

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 15:08:00
Print Post

lets not quibble over the question it was worth pointing out to me so thankyou for that Taras, i dont think it is the cable as it appears the same on the provided wan cable with the SH1 and my own cat 7.

Quite, after seeing a brand new sata cable fail. Its now on my troubleshoot list. You could have been using a 10 year old cat5 cable that was 20m in length - we wouldn't have known. Anyways.

Will report back on speeds when i get the SH2, something else which will be good to share is that my mate is due to get his full fibre 900 installed today, he was the one who discovered i had a different smart hub as he said he got sent the SH2, anyways he also has an xr500 and only lives literally a street behind so it will be interested to see what speeds he gets from the same equipment.

if hes close by and you don't get the sh2 today/tomorrow, it might be worth (if you are inpatient) to borrow it for a test.

I will just have to brace myself for bt telling me that his increased speed is due to distance to the exchange over FTTP lol

Oh god don't tempt fate!!!!!!! Seriously though if they do say that, tell them politely you are not on dsl but on full fibre.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 15:10:41
Print Post

I've not seen what happens if an ethernet cable is substandard or longer than the spec it was designed for (ie pushing Gb on cat5 etc).
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Thu 25-Jun-20 15:42:50
Print Post

Wife told me the SH2 has arrived at home so will test later.

Thinking if i want to have accurate speed tests then i need to make sure i have the right equipment, right now we are unclear on whether we have an issue with routers (xr500 + SH2) or whether it is an openreach fault.

I tested direct to the ONT with the work PC but not convinced that was capable of 1 gig speeds.

If i was to purchase a laptop for example then what do i need to look for to get full speed tests, if someone had some options for me then that would be great, i'll use the laptop for other uses so it wouldn't be a waste of money entirely even though the house has various tablets which the wife and kids use.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Thu 25-Jun-20 16:02:08
Print Post

You previously stated you were getting around 900 Mbps on some speedtest sites, was that with a PC connected to the ONT? You will be on the correct Openreach product (1000/115) if this is the case.

I suggest taking things one step at a time, plug in the new replacement BT router first and see what speeds you get using a wired connection to the router. Even if you plan on using your own router, I would keep the new BT router as a spare for troubleshooting purposes.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 16:47:32
Print Post

I tested direct to the ONT with the work PC but not convinced that was capable of 1 gig speeds.
It would be quite an old PC that can't cope. What is the work PC, can you tell us ?

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 25-Jun-20 19:55:36
Print Post

The same could be for ethernet cables

No, it's not the case. Ethernet is not continuously rate-adaptive like xDSL.

However: 1000baseT (gigabit) ethernet uses all four pairs, whilst 100baseTX (100Mbps) only uses two pairs - one TX, one RX.

Hence if you break one wire or pin, and it's on one of the two pairs which are unused for 100baseTX, then the link will work but drop down to 100M in both directions.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:04:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
It would be quite an old PC that can't cope. What is the work PC, can you tell us ?

or a very very bad nic! .. That said, the nic could be fine itself, but plonked on the chipset and doesn't have the bandwidth.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:26:44
Print Post

or a very very bad nic! .. That said, the nic could be fine itself, but plonked on the chipset and doesn't have the bandwidth.

Exactly, I've not seen many recently, but for years I used to have to pull a NIC and replace to solve problems (3Com 3c509 was always good for us). Desktop PC obvs !

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:29:31
Print Post

Exactly, I've not seen many recently, but for years I used to have to pull a NIC and replace to solve problems (3Com 3c509 was always good for us). Desktop PC obvs !

Pcie has helped with the bandwidth side. Plus most desktops are using either realtek or more expensive ones intel based nics.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:36:40
Print Post

I have seen 1 cable in a wad of 48 a while back link up at 1Gbit but over time while transferring large data over the LAN the transfer speed would drop down to between 300Mbit to 600Mbit down it and the analyser tool used at the time showed there was a break x feet from one end (sadly in the celling space).

I removed the cable with the issue and then stripped the cable down carefully around x feet and I saw the actual metal wire was in fact broken but still touching with its outer casing intact, it seemed to be enough to setup as 1Gbit going by the switches, but seem to have issues when transferring at high speed after a little while.

That was what I was trying to explain.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:43:47
Print Post

We had loads of those 3Com cards when we started off on 10Mbits with the coaxial cable with the BNC and the T-Pieces with the 50ohms terminator.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:49:24
Print Post

Pcie has helped with the bandwidth side. Plus most desktops are using either realtek or more expensive ones intel based nics.

I normally check what controller / device they use due to some of the Realtek and the odd Intel ones have driver issues on Linux.

Not saying the device is at fault, just the driver has issues.

Paul

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 20:56:55
Print Post

I normally check what controller / device they use due to some of the Realtek and the odd Intel ones have driver issues on Linux.

Not saying the device is at fault, just the driver has issues.

Paul

On windows at least intel, do regular updates, realtek less so
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Thu 25-Jun-20 21:04:26
Print Post

Anyone else waiting impatiently for Seedorf's results tonight.. tongue

BTBroadband
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jun-20 21:27:04
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:

more impatient on the chemci result 😁
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 22:00:57
Print Post

On windows at least intel, do regular updates, realtek less so

Agreed, never had any issues with Lan Controllers on Windows, just on Linux.

So when I am building up Linux Servers I check the onboard controllers before getting the board or system.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-20 22:03:33
Print Post

I am just wondering what is causing the issue, can be a few things that would cause it.

Would be nice if it was just a router issue, but I have a feeling it isn't.

Paul

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Fri 26-Jun-20 10:52:28
Print Post

Ok the results are in i feel like Davina Mccall announcing the big brother winner haha

Received the new SH2 last night set it up with the new cables etc, to add the wan cable is slightly different than the one with the SH1 for the record.

did a full recycle to the ONT and then switched the SH2 on, now the pc i borrowed from work was not at hand so unfortunately could only try iphone 11 pro wifi tests so accuracy was the problem.

was getting over 600 download on some servers but here in lies the problem, the same issue i had with the SH1 was my upload was capping at 50mbps [censored]!!!!

rang them up pretty much immediately as i wanted them to do a test and give me an accurate download speed which she did and confirmed i am getting 812 download to the SH2 and as i said 50 upload.

was told to ring back in the morning, so i did half hour ago, after they did some tests and resets whilst i was on the phone they have got my upload to 102 she said, i asked about the download and she said it was 802 so much closer to the full 900 so it does appear the XR500 and the SH1 are in fact an issue all along.

Looked at the router admin stats and no firmware update is prevalent on the SH2 so im hoping after leaving for few days my speeds creep up to over 900, just a thought.

So thats the latest guys...

Oh and netgear have told me to fill out a ticket as there instructions on a fix havent changed things so might be a faulty XR500.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Jun-20 11:37:28
Print Post

That is mostly good news, the 812 result could be contention. I'd try at midnight plus.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Fri 26-Jun-20 11:40:56
Print Post

Glad to hear the new BT router has fixed things smile

In the meantime ask your mate to carry out tests on his XR500 (as he also has Fibre 900), if he's getting better results then you have a duff XR500. If not then you need to go back to the BT kit or buy a more powerful third party router such as the Netgear RAX120.

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Fri 26-Jun-20 12:46:32
Print Post

Getting better Seedorf.

Look forward to seeing you're 910 / 110 screen grabs at full speed. smile

BTBroadband
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Fri 26-Jun-20 12:48:20
Print Post

yes i will do Taras thanks,

As for my friends install he ran into complications, he came home from work to meet the engineer but there has been an issue and they are going to have to do a re dig, not covering themselves in glory at the moment are they!

Will have a look at the RAX120 although i didn't really want to be forking out £350 when the latter wasn't cheap.

One question when gaming would it be better to put ps4 behind a router or would i get better performance going direct to the ONT and getting nat type 1?

Presume ONT to ps4 would give purest connection but security maybe an issue anyone advise on this for me.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Fri 26-Jun-20 13:04:26
Print Post

The RAX120 is a wifi 6 router so like most 802.11ax routers, it won't be cheap. However if you're happy to stick with a wifi 5 (802.11ac) router, then go for the excellent Asus RT-AC86U - it can be bought for £150-£200 on Amazon.

Re: direct connection to ONT, only the router should be connected to the ONT as it needs to authenticate using PPPoE. If you try to plug anything into the other RJ45 ports on the ONT (assuming you have a 4 port version with 1 live FTTP service) then they will be inactive ports. Just plug your PS4 into the router directly.

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 26-Jun-20 13:04:42
Print Post

Does the ps4 even do PPPoE??

Even if it did, you are talking literally microseconds of difference, even for a large packet (with gigabit ethernet: 1500 bytes = 12,000 bits @ 1Gbps = 12 microseconds)

If this still worries you, then you could get a router with a 10G LAN port, and put a 10G NIC in your PC, and then that extra latency is cut down to minimum - and it means you can still share your Internet connection with the rest of the house.

Or, you can move house. 12 microseconds round-trip is equivalent to moving 1.2km closer to the exchange.
Standard User brookheather
(member) Fri 26-Jun-20 13:05:05
Print Post

I'm not aware that a PS4 can create a PPPoE connection so you would need to use a router.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + UniFi nanoHD
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Fri 26-Jun-20 14:41:28
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

Yes the ps4 you can create a PPPoE connection i was just brain storming and wondered whether there would be any benefits when gaming if we took the router out all together.

Just a thought its nothing to get hung up about.

Anyways looks like i am getting the right speeds and will update with screen grabs when i get the chance.

Cheers amazing work from you all
Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Mon 29-Jun-20 15:56:13
Print Post

Switched back to the xr500 as i wanted to run a bqm which the SH2 does not allow, currently speaking with netgear customer service and are awaiting there outcome i think they are going to send me a replacement or an upgraded router which i must admit is very good service seeing as it is out of warranty, i'll update the outcome on this..

wanted your opinion on the link below, nice steady line however can see a little packet loss, is this something of a concern?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Jun-20 18:30:02
Print Post

Nice on the router, I hope it works ok with your new speed.

The BQM looks ok, those packet loss spikes could also be due to your router, I also have a few very small ones.

I assume you are not near London, probably up north ? due to you having 8 to 9 ms min latency to the BQM Server.

It looks like you also either did a speedtest about 5pm.

Paul

Standard User Seedorf
(learned) Mon 29-Jun-20 19:34:15
Print Post

Yes bro I’m in greater Manchester.

I thought it was the case that packet loss could be down to the router so hopefully a newer model will make them less frequent, not that I have noticed any issues, also I reported about the IP address changing constantly but so far it’s stayed the same so seems like things are settling down.

Maybe running the SH2 for a few days has fixed a few things.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Jun-20 23:14:38
Print Post

Yes bro I’m in greater Manchester.

I thought you might be.

I thought it was the case that packet loss could be down to the router so hopefully a newer model will make them less frequent, not that I have noticed any issues, also I reported about the IP address changing constantly but so far it’s stayed the same so seems like things are settling down.

Yeah, we don't notice any issues with ours due to the latency is so low and a packet re-send would be so quick.

Assuming that the new routers WAN to LAN Throughput is up to handling that speed.

I think your IP was changing so many times due to your router was dropping connection when it was rebooting all the time, my old Linksys router does the same when used on our connection, its the "Watch Dog" feature in the router thinking the router has crashed due to the CPU in it cannot keep up to ping itself, hence the reboot.

Also with FTTP there is nothing to settle down, it either works or it doesn't.

Maybe running the SH2 for a few days has fixed a few things.

I very much doubt it, what speeds did you see on the SH2 did you get your full speeds on speedtest.net and TBB tests?

Paul

Standard User oldskool
(member) Tue 30-Jun-20 17:43:47
Print Post

Pleased with my install today. Part of the rural fibre program announced in Dec 2019. Work started in my area in Feb 2020. Continued through covid. Came up for order late may. Order placed, fibre pulled externally the next day and 3-4 week wait for install.

Engineer turned up without the external housing for splicing from what I recall. After a small delay all up and working.

Initially upload was capped at 50Mbps. A manual disconnect and reconnect solved that.

Wire
920Mbps / 108Mbps
https://www.speedtest.net/result/9686055666.png

Wireless
511Mbps / 109Mbps
https://www.speedtest.net/result/i/3989501405.png

Surprised by the wireless result. This is using my TP-Link AP's I had hardwired earlier in the year. I have 4 on separate channels. However that speed roughly halves with multiple transmissions.

Ping times to 1.1.1.1 have reduced by 2ms.

Edited by oldskool (Tue 30-Jun-20 17:46:26)

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Tue 30-Jun-20 18:50:58
Print Post

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by oldskool:
Wire
920Mbps / 108Mbps
https://www.speedtest.net/result/9686055666.png

Wireless
511Mbps / 109Mbps

These are the posts I love to see.

Congrats oldskool enjoy you're new fibre. grin

BTBroadband
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Jun-20 19:07:06
Print Post

Wireless
511Mbps / 109Mbps

What spec are your access points, WiFi 5 (AC) or 6 (AX) and what channel bandwidth at 5 GHz?

Very impressive the iPhone 11 is capable of showing 511 Mbps !

Standard User oldskool
(member) Tue 30-Jun-20 19:25:53
Print Post

Thanks guys, delighted with the speed and consistency of the speeds. I honestly didn't expect to maintain peak speeds like I'm doing so far.

Wifi wise, I have 3x TP-Link EAP 245's and 1x EAP 225-Outdoor - managed via the Omada cloud controller

The indoor AP's are hardwired into the ceiling of each floor and centrally located in the hall/landing areas, no obstructions. They use WIFI 5 (AC) with good channel separation and transmit power as to not interfere.

Floor 1 - 36
Floor 2 - 100
Floor 3 - 52
Outdoor - 52 - which is furthest from floor 3

Airtime fairness is enabled but no QOS - I do run 2.4GHz on Floor 2 and Outdoor at 1 and 11 but haven't tested that speed yet. Virtually everything connects at 5Ghz

I have 16 wireless devices connected at the moment and 80% of them have a link speed of >=866.0Mbps

As I knew FTTP was due this year, I wanted a good distribution, hence 3 indoor and reduce multiple transmissions so placement was important.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Jun-20 19:44:02
Print Post

Really good detail, thanks. My iPhone XS is only AC capable and it easily handles my 200 Mbps WAN speed (Virgin cable) but I was unsure how much the 11’s support for AX would improve things.

If you ever get an AX access point, would be an interesting test!

Standard User oldskool
(member) Tue 30-Jun-20 20:41:06
Print Post

Really good detail, thanks. My iPhone XS is only AC capable and it easily handles my 200 Mbps WAN speed (Virgin cable) but I was unsure how much the 11’s support for AX would improve things.

If you ever get an AX access point, would be an interesting test!

You’re welcome.

I did consider AX points but they are so expensive and I wouldn’t get use out of it. I hadn’t even realised the iPhone 11 was ax compatible.

All the stuff I have is all AC. I’m unlikely to change my iMac or MBP for another 2 years until Apple silicon is mainstream. So I think AX APs are at least 2 if not 4 years away for me. Easy swap however, on the ceilings with cat6 wiring.

Funny to get this speed on my lawn Via the outdoor AP

>300Mbps
https://www.speedtest.net/iphone/3989819534.png

P.s. incase you were interested in a laptop speed test over wifi - MBP, old, from 2013
https://www.speedtest.net/result/9687705635.png

But as I say, this is more like 350-450Mbps with multiple other devices transmitting.

Edited by oldskool (Tue 30-Jun-20 22:12:17)

Standard User max1486
(newbie) Tue 30-Jun-20 22:23:23
Print Post

Getting FTTP installed this Friday myself, I am mildy excited and these speedtests are making me more impatient laugh

Does anyone know if the Fibre 900 is over provisioned so if you have a card above 1G you can actually achieve 1000Mbps?

Edited by max1486 (Tue 30-Jun-20 22:25:31)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 30-Jun-20 22:50:11
Print Post

[re: max1486] [link to this post]

The ONT's ethernet port is only 1Gbps, so you won't be able to exceed that.
Standard User max1486
(newbie) Tue 30-Jun-20 22:52:20
Print Post

Ah... yeah, never thought of that. Don't the new Nokia ONT's have 10G ports?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Jun-20 23:15:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by max1486:
Ah... yeah, never thought of that. Don't the new Nokia ONT's have 10G ports?

Nope. Definitely 1G Ethernet port.

It's provisioned at 1000/115 anyway.
Standard User oldskool
(member) Thu 02-Jul-20 21:32:23
Print Post

Just an update on my install earlier this week.

External question.

The black fibre cable from the pavement comes up via the ground conduit into the grey housing which hides the copper. This goes into a splicing enclosure. The cable is visible as it transitions between the two.

Then out comes a white cable which goes back into the grey housing and into the property. However the drilling is just to the right of the grey housing and the hole is not sealed.

I know a pic would certainly help but questions. Should you see this white cable. I’d have thought it would be drilled behind the splicing box and thus hidden.

Is this white cable external grade and fully weatherproof.

Shouldn’t they have used a rubber gromet and or silicon sealant?
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Fri 03-Jul-20 08:13:00
Print Post

The black fibre cable from the pavement comes up via the ground conduit into the grey housing which hides the copper. This goes into a splicing enclosure. The cable is visible as it transitions between the two.

Then out comes a white cable which goes back into the grey housing and into the property. However the drilling is just to the right of the grey housing and the hole is not sealed.

Does your external setup look similar to mine?

https://imgur.com/a/jM0uqOq

The white exposed cable is weatherproof and *should* be sealed where it enters the property - at least thats what the Openreach bod told me. Mine uses the same entry point as the copper.

Standard User oldskool
(member) Fri 03-Jul-20 17:14:39
Print Post

Here’s my install

External FTTP box

As you can see, mostly concerned about the lack of sealant.

If they are weatherproof then that’s ok. Just cannot understand why someone would do what they did. Why not just put the box above!

Ps I haven’t sealed it myself as I remember you aren’t meant to touch OR cabling. But this in my opinion isn’t the best and I want that hole sealed from the weather and insects.

Edited by oldskool (Fri 03-Jul-20 17:15:50)

Standard User max1486
(newbie) Fri 03-Jul-20 18:49:31
Print Post

I've just had an FTTP install done today and the engineer has put absolutely no covering over it, just black fibre into the wall. Is this safe? Pic attached.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3j7icV9y7XPvmQA18

I see all of your installs have a box, whilst mine is just directly into the wall with the ONT on the other side?

Edited by max1486 (Fri 03-Jul-20 18:55:25)

Standard User Nick_W789
(newbie) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:05:43
Print Post

I thought the photo from the post before was bad, but a couple of bits of the blown brick glued with mastic over the cable entry???
Standard User max1486
(newbie) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:08:08
Print Post

[re: Nick_W789] [link to this post]

Yeah, I'm not particularly happy given the quality of other installs, I don't mind that much providing nothing will break by being out like that....
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:14:22
Print Post

I see all of your installs have a box, whilst mine is just directly into the wall with the ONT on the other side?

It seems you have a connectorized install, ie direct cable from ONT to Distribution Point (DP). Therefore no need for the external box (CSP).

Standard User max360
(regular) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:15:53
Print Post

Very poorly done. Where is the CSP box?

ISP: BT - FTTP 930Mb/110Mb
ISP: PlusNet - FTTC - 80Mb/20Mb

Birmingham Fibre First Program: FTTP - BT Full fibre 900 Halo 1 package - 930Mb down 110Mb up.

Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 24 - Funded Privately (Community Partnership).
Standard User max1486
(newbie) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:16:14
Print Post

Out of curiosity, what's the technical difference? Is this way any better?
Standard User oldskool
(member) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:16:19
Print Post

Looks like yours has no sealant either

You would have thought this is basic stuff

Ps my installer didn’t turn up with the grey box. He had to come back 2 hours later after picking one up.

Seems like OR need to make sure their training and instructions are in order

Not sure wether to seal it myself or phone them. Plus those cable clips will 100% break within 2-3 Years of weathering. Dangling fibre cables it shall be.
Standard User max360
(regular) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:17:24
Print Post

The CSP box should have been seated above the existing covering i.e covering the fibre cable etc... poorly done.

ISP: BT - FTTP 930Mb/110Mb
ISP: PlusNet - FTTC - 80Mb/20Mb

Birmingham Fibre First Program: FTTP - BT Full fibre 900 Halo 1 package - 930Mb down 110Mb up.

Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 24 - Funded Privately (Community Partnership).
Standard User oldskool
(member) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:20:40
Print Post

[re: max360] [link to this post]

Does anyone know if OR have an email I can send them my pic of the install.

If they are happy to leave it like that I still want them to send someone to seal the hole they drilled.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:27:32
Print Post

Out of curiosity, what's the technical difference? Is this way any better?

No difference in quality of service between the 2. However if your dog decided to chew up the fibre cable indoors then a new cable would need to be run all the way to the DP. Whereas if you had a CSP box on the outer wall, then only the cable between the ONT and CSP would be replaced, not the whole shebang.

Standard User Highland76
(regular) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:29:38
Print Post

Get in touch with your CP/ISP, and ask them to send someone from Openreach to complete the job properly.

Standard User gary333
(committed) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:30:38
Print Post

I thought they were not supposed to bend the fibre at 90 degrees. Must be either a large hole or a tight bend to get that fibre through the hole. Even if it doesn’t need an outer box you’d think they’d put a cable entry cover on. Maybe the person who installed this worked for Sky before.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:39:47
Print Post

[re: max360] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by max360:
The CSP box should have been seated above the existing covering i.e covering the fibre cable etc... poorly done.

Yeah I'm wondering why Openreach didn't do that for oldskool's install, like they did mine >>here<<
Poor workmanship or d/t technical reason?

Standard User max1486
(newbie) Fri 03-Jul-20 19:44:10
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Yeah, entire setup is bodged to be honest but I'm getting 900/90 so can't complain until it breaks. The inside is even worse in terms of bends.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ej6YGJP7MoYcMMUX8

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9702998139.png

Edited by max1486 (Fri 03-Jul-20 19:45:00)

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Fri 03-Jul-20 21:18:43
Print Post

Yeah, entire setup is bodged to be honest but I'm getting 900/90 so can't complain until it breaks. The inside is even worse in terms of bends.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ej6YGJP7MoYcMMUX8

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9702998139.png

Looks like you got the Huawei ONT fitted and not the latest Nokia ONT.

I must admit I love you're new speeds but the install is very shoddy IMO.

BTBroadband
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Jul-20 21:39:28
Print Post

I can’t see your picture , the link won’t open.

The hole should certainly have mastic to stop water ingress.

There are purpose made kits providing a tube to pass the fibre through, then caps to neatly cover either end. Mastic should then be used to seal that cap.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Jul-20 21:44:46
Print Post

‘Inside out’ process not followed.

Incorrect technique through the wall.

Not good.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Jul-20 21:46:59
Print Post

That is a seriously pants install.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Jul-20 22:09:16
Print Post

Whether a Nokia or Huawei is used depends on the corresponding make of the head end I believe.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Jul-20 22:11:58
Print Post

It seems you have a connectorized install, ie direct cable from ONT to Distribution Point (DP). Therefore no need for the external box (CSP).

.... which is no longer the agreed method for installation

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Jul-20 22:13:17
Print Post

... and the field fit connectors have a habit of failing

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Jul-20 11:29:23
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I'm confused here, with the connectorised cbts, do we still have the csp or not?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Jul-20 17:03:56
Print Post

For a while, CSP’s disappeared, CBT to field fit connector in one continuous length.

This made future testing harder, needing an appointment to access the cable more often than not. The field fit connectors have a fairly high failure rate (for instance I fitted one, all testing pukka, good readings, and within a week it failed). Also, stripping anything other than a really short length from external black to internal white was very time consuming. Appointments were also taking too much of the customers time ... as dragging the fibre from CBT right to ONT could sometimes take hours ....

New ‘inside out’ process fixes this.

Pre made SC connector on a lead, very easy to strip, fit the ONT, run this lead outside, easy. The customer can now leave if needs be. Fit a CSP, providing an external access/test point. The CBT to CSP fibre can now be run in in without the customer needing to be present. A win-win situation (although for those who have ‘been around a while’ there may be a realisation that this is kinda how it used to be done)

This does mean that engineers again need to be trained on and supplied a splicer, but that’s no bad thing in my book

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Jul-20 18:46:20
Print Post

Looks like you got the Huawei ONT fitted and not the latest Nokia ONT.

Which is fortunate, or they would have no working service.

There isn't going to be a switch to using the Nokia ONT on all FTTP installs.

They will only use the "newer" Nokia ONT if they are connected to a Nokia OLT in the exchange.

They don't mix and match Vendors.
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Sat 04-Jul-20 19:12:44
Print Post

There isn't going to be a switch to using the Nokia ONT on all FTTP installs.

They will only use the "newer" Nokia ONT if they are connected to a Nokia OLT in the exchange.

Personally it doesn't matter to me as both do the job. smile

Is it a closely guarded secret as to what OLT is at each exchange.

"ie" my exchange is ARTHINGTON with a code MYART as seen here.

BTBroadband
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Sat 04-Jul-20 19:58:15
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

So its now blown fibre from DP/CBT to CSP? If so, are they still blowing 4 fibre strands to CSP, with 3 kept as spares?

This is mine done in 2017

https://imgur.com/a/5ZSV4IZ

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Jul-20 20:03:30
Print Post

Is it a closely guarded secret as to what OLT is at each exchange.

Not publicly available info.

If your exchange has Huawei FTTC cabinets then it has a Huawei OLT.

Exchanges can have both Huawei and Nokia OLT's though.

Some FTTP on your exchange can be on a Huawei OLT while other FTTP can be from a Nokia OLT.

You won't know until it's installed.
You could ask a direct neighbour on the same PON as you (the same splitter, up to 32 properties) if they have a Nokia or Huawei ONT.

As you say it really doesn't matter as they both do the exact same thing and the available speeds is the same on both. ***

I was just pointing out that there isn't going to be a switch to the newest ONT for everyone just because it's newer.
It's not like ISP's switching to providing their latest Hub to new customers.

It entirely depends on what Vendors equipment is at the other end of the fibre as to which ONT you will receive.

*** Some FTTP is still connected to ECI OLT's and should come with an ECI ONT.
FTTP on an ECI OLT is limited to 330Mb.
The last word from OpenReach was that less than 50,000 properties were limited by an ECI OLT.
That's 50,000 passed properties and not active connections.
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Sat 04-Jul-20 20:06:41
Print Post

Good info thank you. smile

BTBroadband
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Jul-20 20:09:22
Print Post

So its now blown fibre from DP/CBT to CSP? If so, are they still blowing 4 fibre strands to CSP, with 3 kept as spares?

This is mine done in 2017

https://imgur.com/a/5ZSV4IZ

I believe it's a connectorised cable connected to the Fibre DP (CBT) and spliced at the other end at the CSP.
Single fibre.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 04-Jul-20 20:32:52)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to