General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Jun-20 00:37:17
Print Post

Re: Only houses in village without FTTP

[re: marble] [link to this post]

The attenuation suggests further, yes.

I'm not entirely sure if the figure 8 drop wire would increase attenuation. I've no idea what guage it is our what the wire is made of.

You shouldn't have too much bother with Zen hopefully.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 26-Jun-20 09:52:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by marble:
Interesting. We sync at 23-26 Mbps downstream. Our cabinet is 1050m away according to Google maps, and assuming it follows the main road (which I know is a big assumption! ... the road is relatively straight though).

Even allowing for odd routing, 1050 metres is relatively short. I know of FTTC being provided over lines in excess of 3.5km.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Jun-20 10:31:51
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Enquiry has gone into Openreach but theory based on looking on what has been deployed where is that the speeds for this property and others in the postcode was just above the threshold for the project in that area.

Criteria does seem to vary, as some BDUK FTTP is all properties below 24 Mbps (excusing the odd very long run to DP property) when delivering in a cabinet area. Some others seem to be targeting the slowest where speeds are below 10 Mbps.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Fri 26-Jun-20 12:54:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Criteria does seem to vary, as some BDUK FTTP is all properties below 24 Mbps (excusing the odd very long run to DP property) when delivering in a cabinet area. Some others seem to be targeting the slowest where speeds are below 10 Mbps.

**WAVES**

That would be me.

BTBroadband
Standard User marble
(newbie) Tue 30-Jun-20 18:08:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help looking into this. We received the response from Openreach, and the answer was not what I was perhaps hoping for. They basically said that it wasn't a mistake and no to FTTP.

Somewhat annoying to be so close to fast internet, and yet not be able to get it.

Oh well, will wait a few years until the government's promise of gigabit internet in every home by 2025.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 30-Jun-20 21:52:27
Print Post

If you are on good terms with your neighbour, how about getting FTTP at his premises and running Ethernet to yours. Get the bill in your name and his only cost is the electricity for the ONT. ( Maybe router)
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Wed 01-Jul-20 09:32:25
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

From my quick look on the checker I found a post code with only 6 Properties on it. No 1 had the exact speeds that the Op had posted so as he had said he was in a terrace of 6 houses it could be a match.

None of the 6 properties have WBC FTTP available. I don't know which neighbour showed availability but it would seem to be a checker error. There is FTTP in nearby postcodes.

When I lived in a small village there was FTTP available on the edges of the area but I had 80/20 FTTC from a cabinet, the checker showed FTTP available for my next door neighbour which I think was wrong, FTTP was available about 100 yards down the road! There has to be a boundary somewhere which is unlucky if you happen to be on it.!
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to