General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Jun-20 09:59:55
Print Post

Re: FTTP for neighbour not for me?

[re: inmcdonalds] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by inmcdonalds:
It's the same postcode ph2 7ll .

Perth exchange.

That postcode cannot get FTTP only FTTP on Demand, they are different products with completely different prices.

Paul

Standard User inmcdonalds
(newbie) Tue 30-Jun-20 10:08:43
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Yes I know that is the situation currently. However as per my original post there has been some openreach activity recently along my road and the openreach fibre checker now says 'fttp coming soon' for my neighbour on other side of road, and 'fttc coming soon' for everyone else's property.

The btwholesale checker or whatever it is called has said fttpod available for several years now but that is a separate issue to my current one.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Jun-20 10:25:09
Print Post

That looks to be a database error, keep on checking your neighbour's phone number here - once its live, check yours
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 30-Jun-20 13:29:07
Print Post

The btwholesale checker or whatever it is called has said fttpod available for several years now but that is a separate issue to my current one.

It'll say that for pretty much anyone in FTTC cabinet footprint.
Standard User chrisdev
(learned) Tue 30-Jun-20 17:26:36
Print Post

Are you and your neighbour served from the same pole currently (for copper)?

If you are, there's a good chance that will be the location of any future fibre CBT.

I had a similar experience when FTTP went live in my rural Scottish location. The checker said FTTP was coming, but I only found out by accident when it came to be signed off, that me and my 3 immediate neighbours had wayleave issues despite being served from the same CBT. Another 3 properties went live no problem. It needed me to prove to OR that I was served from the same pole and that the underground ducting was already in place (including uncovering their own chamber), before they changed the DB and I could order. In my experience, it's useful to have an unhealthy obsession about where your telephone/fibre cable comes from/goes to!
(newbie) Tue 30-Jun-20 17:43:06
Print Post

[re: chrisdev] [link to this post]

I believe that the situation is that there is a pole and his line comes off that by overhead wire to his (the fttp neighbour) house. The copper goes under ground from that pole for about 100m (basically along the length of my property) then it re-emerges and goes back to a pole (and another neighbour who is predicted by checker to get fttc then gets his wire off that pole via overhead cable) I imagine that somewhere along the 100m underground duct there is a branch and another underground duct comes into my property. Certainly there is no overhead line to my property as we are about 50 metres from the roadside.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Jun-20 18:04:03
Print Post

The copper goes under ground from that pole for about 100m (basically along the length of my property) then it re-emerges and goes back to a pole
What makes you believe this is the case.
I imagine that somewhere along the 100m underground duct there is a branch and another underground duct comes into my property.
Have you found the duct entrance at you property? Have you found any BT footway boxes near the poles or on the pavement outside your property? Are you sure its not directly buried cable to your property?

Edit Sorry for so many questions but the network topology isn't always how people think.

Edited by dect (Tue 30-Jun-20 18:05:08)

(newbie) Tue 30-Jun-20 18:07:06
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

My neighbour told me that a 10+ years ago the copper was all pole mounted along the length of my property. But for some reason they decided to put it below ground.

It is possible that there is not a duct to my property branching off this one though and instead it is just a buried cable. I will take a closer look at the infrastructure tonight.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Jun-20 21:42:37
Print Post

My neighbour told me that a 10+ years ago the copper was all pole mounted along the length of my property. But for some reason they decided to put it below ground.
BT must have needed a reason to underground 150m of telephone cable, did you ask the neighbour why they thought it happened?
(newbie) Tue 30-Jun-20 22:26:37
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Apparently they were checking the posts to see if any looked dodgy and these did but why they didn't just replace the post is beyond me. I'm not sure how reliable by neighbours account is.

Any way, if the ducting after my neighbours connection is an issue for fttp, then the pole that supplies my neighbour is next to my land and I could probably take a fibre connection off of that maybe. Like an overhead line. Although the distance from the pole across my field/garden to my house is fairly long so I'd have to put a telegraph pole in possibly somewjere in my garden ?!? Anyway, probably getting a bit head of myself here !
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to