General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User da_flash
(committed) Tue 30-Jun-20 11:05:11
Print Post

FTTP Speed Question

[link to this post]

Had the BT FTTP Ultrafast 150Mbit installed yesterday. Speedtests gets 140Mbit over my mobile phone. However plugging in ethernet givers 50-70Mbit. I was told to wait a few days for the connection to stabilise and retry. However speedtests from the router via the speedtest option going back to My BT gives 140Mbit down. So it looks like the speed is there. However the router just doesn't want to give it to my laptop plugged in directly to the router.

So Ive also now added some homeplugs to the router to connect a network upstairs. The homeplug to homeplug link connects at 120Mbit. This has also been tested by a file transfer and the homeplug speed is a true reflection, however speed testing a PC upstairs gives me 30Mbit down frown

So anything in close proximity to the router with a decent wifi connection gets over 100Mbits (mobiles, firesticks etc..) Any ethernet plugged in gives a lot slower speeds. Anything over the homeplug network gives a much slower speed.

What am I missing.

BT Hub 2 -----1Gbit---- 200 Mbit Homeplug --------120Mbit approx.------Homeplug -------1Gbit switch ---------PC

Cheers C
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Jun-20 12:02:52
Print Post

Re: FTTP Speed Question

[re: da_flash] [link to this post]

The home plug link may say 120 Mbit but that is before any of the overheads and error correction, so it is possible for a home plug link at 120 Mbps to give speeds of 30 Mbps.

if the wireless speeds are genuine then no more settling in needed and nothing to do with router not wanting to give the speed over an Ethernet port, but more likely possibly issues with the computer e.g. is the Ethernet connecting at 100 Mbps rather than Gigabit 1000 Mbps full duplex?

Andrew

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Jun-20 12:24:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I thought it could be a 100mbit nic, but wouldn't it hit around 90 to 100mbits rather than 70ish ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Jun-20 12:24:56
Print Post

Do you have a pc and a laptop?
Standard User da_flash
(committed) Tue 30-Jun-20 12:56:31
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Yes I do have a PC and a laptop.

Cheers C
Standard User da_flash
(committed) Tue 30-Jun-20 12:58:00
Print Post

Im thinking the window size is coming into play here. To prove this I probably need a few PCs to see if they can max out the connection.

Cheers C
Standard User da_flash
(committed) Tue 30-Jun-20 13:00:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I see what you are saying about the homeplug. However I thought the same and therefore put a laptop on each end of the homeplugs link. I was able to transfer a file (uncompressed and not a text file) at a much higher speed (almost x3) than Im getting connectivity throughput from the router itself.

Cheers C
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Jun-20 13:23:49
Print Post

Can you try the pc directly connected into the smart hub 2. Then try it directly into the ont, you can do this by creating a pppoe connection in windows.

The reasons for the two tests, one is to test the smart hub 2 and then to test if its your pc.
Standard User da_flash
(committed) Tue 30-Jun-20 14:02:58
Print Post

do you just put the @btbroadband in to the credentials?

Cheers C
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Jun-20 14:41:20
Print Post

its

[email protected]

pw can be anything
  Print Thread

Jump to