General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 01-Jul-20 15:38:15
Print Post

Re: Would a new line improve my speed?

[re: cheesemp] [link to this post]

9.5dB Margin is a problem for you. 26Mbps attainable.

Do the following:

Power off your hub. Wait a couple of minutes and disconnect from the line.

Disconnect all phones.

Wait 30 minutes and power up the hub - and leave for another five minutes

Plug in the line connection to the hub, and again wait for 5 minutes.

Then check your line stats again.

That should at least try to get you back to 6dB and then over time it might work down to 5, 4, 3 dB.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Wed 01-Jul-20 15:52:22)

Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Wed 01-Jul-20 15:47:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Not sure if that will do anything, I think the line has been banded at 20Mbps, that would explain the high SNRM.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jul-20 15:52:49
Print Post

Your line has been banded (capped) at 20Mb by the DLM.

You should get nearer 25Mb.

A change of ISP would likely remove the banding.

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 01-Jul-20 15:53:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 01-Jul-20 15:55:36
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

It could well be banded, but it may be an exact sync.

Trying a fix is not to arduous - if it fixes it fine, if not, the battle getting banding removed can be tortuous but the next stage.

M H C

Standard User cheesemp
(newbie) Wed 01-Jul-20 16:04:04
Print Post

Can't hurt but i'll have to try it later when my wife's not working. I'll be moving ISP whatever happens in the next couple of months (not missing the switching cashbacks) so I guess that will remove the banding. At least Vodafone give a discount if I can't hit 25mbps (And it not like upstream bandwidth is a big issue at sub 25mbps).
Standard User _SimonLH_
(learned) Wed 01-Jul-20 17:20:39
Print Post

Sorry didn’t check if link was there post edited
Here’s the link
https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/btsupplier/4623369...
Standard User cheesemp
(newbie) Wed 01-Jul-20 17:23:53
Print Post

[re: _SimonLH_] [link to this post]

I'm ducts not pole i'm afraid but thanks for the link. I know I'm near the end of the lines when it comes to the 1970's estate, I'm in (although I'm far from the being the furthest).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 02-Jul-20 11:59:33
Print Post

And what are the current line stats? Same as before or changed significantly?

M H C

Standard User cheesemp
(newbie) Thu 02-Jul-20 15:47:06
Print Post

Sorry we didn't manage to get the kids down early enough for me to test last night. I will aim to do it tonight. I must time it careful as 99% of our TV comes from broadband. TV signal is as troublesome as 4g is.
Standard User BLaZiNgSPEED
(member) Fri 03-Jul-20 11:29:04
Print Post

I'm not sure. I signed up to TalkTalk FTTC on a 24 month contract in February when I was promised by live support chat that they would send an Openreach engineer to install a new line.

I had a similar dilemma about line length. Basically my copper line intrusion point travels around 10 meters around my passage to the master socket. I wanted a shortened line.

But when the BT Openreach engineer came he refused to install a new line saying that, that extra 10 meters worth of copper inside my flat will not make a difference at all to my speeds. He said he can do it but would charge me £150 but tried to assure me it isn't worth the cost as it will not make a difference at all.

I kinda felt betrayed at that time because TalkTalk said it will be a free new line on a 24 month contract.

But anyway, the Openreach engineer installed a new pre-built filtered master socket 2019 BT Openreach Telephone Master Socket NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4. That way I no longer need a separate micro filter.

He told me estimated speeds as shown on his device would be between 70Mbps-83Mbps. It turned out to be true, I indeed am syncing at 80 Mbps and 20 Mbps in my router settings. So I am not sure if cutting an extra 5-10 meters of copper inside the property will really make a whole lot of difference when overall it is about the length of the copper cable from cabinet to your home.

My overall copper length is about 320 meters from cabinet to my flat. So theoretically whether it was 310 meters or 330 meters give or take, it doesn't seem like an extra 10 meters of copper would make a difference. So a new telephone line won't make a difference unless your existing line in your flat has some fault of some sort.

The difference however, is more significant when you come from ADSL to VDSL. For example when I had an EO Line until October 2019 when I finally got upgraded to FTTC, I had a line length of 1000+ meters worth of copper to the exchange. With the new FTTC cabinet that line length is now slashed to over 650+ meters less. I suppose the transition between ADSL on EO Line vs FTTC makes a far greater overall difference to speed and reliability than having a new telephone line however shorter it may be inside your home.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to