General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Mon 13-Jul-20 14:05:20
Print Post

The physical roll-out of fibre to the premisses

[link to this post]

Around where I am (in a "Fibre First' exchange area) I've seen Openreach run new cables and according to the map some streets nearby have gone live for FTTP.

What I've noticed is that OR appear to be doing cul-de-sacs first! Which at first sight appears odd. You'd expect a cable to run up a main-ish road, those properties to be enabled then, as the cable progresses, turn down smaller roads until at the end the dead-end-streets are connected.

I bet someone here can either explain why this is!

Something to do with how the cable from the head-end (?) is split into smaller bundles and the end is an easier place to start?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Jul-20 14:22:32
Print Post

Re: The physical roll-out of fibre to the premisses

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Without looking at the Openreach duct/pole maps and time planning it hard to say much.

It may be down to age of properties, and they have the pavement chambers needed for kit already in place. Another factor is whether ducted lead in to the property or directly buried, the list of options for not doing what some see as logical continues.

NOTE: Have seen some large areas where the outer edge areas get done first with a long spine cable running to them, and then the shorter cables run in over time for the others between exchange and first spot. One advantage of this method would be you've cleared any duct issues on the longest run so the other subsequent ones might now be easier.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Mon 13-Jul-20 14:31:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Without looking at the Openreach duct/pole maps and time planning it hard to say much.

Yes, it a 'modern' suburb. Most of the houses will be less than thirty years old, most probably less than twenty with a lot less than five. They all have underground ducts to the houses. Lots have Virgin! There are plenty of chambers in pavements.

The area is almost at the end of the exchange area. A few streets away, right at the end, some streets have been provisioned via poles. Those are 80 - 90 year old properties though.

It does look as if not only are they doing the cul-de-sacs first, they are doing the streets furthest from the exchange first. Oh, except for the streets near the exchange. But maybe they were exchange only properties. Or already have Virgin.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Wangmaster
(newbie) Mon 13-Jul-20 14:57:48
Print Post

My town is being rolled out currently, they seem to be doing the outside edges and denser areas first, but it does seem slightly random (to my eyes) the order, but I'm sure there's a reason for it. Annoyingly the first area they did, the fibre ran right under my kitchen window to supply the estate at the end of my road. Nothing on my street though 😩 There's also been a CBT on the pole outside my business for weeks, but still can't order. Hang in there!
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 13-Jul-20 15:14:39
Print Post

You may find that each close is run from 1 chamber and may have just the right number of houses for a splitter so 12 or 24. If already ducted these will be nice units to do and easy to release as likely to be one postcode. Whereas the long street will be many postcodes and each chamber may cover non exclusive postcodes and a messier duct layout. It is likely all the fibres have been run along the road already to all the chambers just the fitting and connecting up to be done.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Jul-20 15:35:46
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

and may have just the right number of houses for a splitter so 12 or 24.

A single splitter would be 32, but then depending on which type of splitter is fitted, additional splitters can be added to their node, so 64, etc.

What dictates the number of properties, is the number of ports on the CBT (connectorised block terminal) so these come in 4, 8, or 12 port varieties. Each port has a single fibre back to the splitter. After the physical splitter/prism there is one fibre back to the head end in the serving exchange.

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Mon 13-Jul-20 16:08:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Each port has a single fibre back to the splitter. After the physical splitter/prism there is one fibre back to the head end in the serving exchange.

"One fibre" back to the head end, is that the same as the "one fibre" which goes into a property? Or is it one fibre with more strands. There must be a limit to the number of final connections that can squeeze down the line.

Its all hard to get my head around....

One fibre is split by wavelength so only some data goes down the street that splitter serves and than its kinda split again at the CBT? Or is that where everyone gets everyone else's data and we hope the ONT filters our neighbours smut out? 😳

I'm hyper sensitive to OR vans at the moment and haven't seen any very close although I did see someone sitting doing something fibre like in a chamber near the FTTC cabinet recently. I have seen big vans running cable down the nearby main road though.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Jul-20 16:15:30
Print Post

1 single fibre from the exchange to a splitter.
The splitter then splits this single fibre to 32 fibres, 1 for each property.

The exact same data travels down all of the 32 fibres.
Your ONT only decrypts your own data.

Edited by j0hn83 (Mon 13-Jul-20 16:18:12)

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Mon 13-Jul-20 16:23:30
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
1 single fibre from the exchange to a splitter.
The splitter then splits this single fibre to 32 fibres, 1 for each property.

The exact same data travels down all of the 32 fibres.
Your ONT only decrypts your own data.

So there is one single fibre per 32 properties running from the head end. If there are 3200 properties there's a bundle of 1000 fibres at the head?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Jul-20 16:26:59
Print Post

3200 properties is a bundle of 100 fibres.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8324-openreach-t...

1,728 fibres in a 9.5 mm diameter cable.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to