General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chriswillsher
(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-20 13:42:27
Print Post

What exactly are these connections?

[link to this post]

The Openreach fibre checker states that they have no plans to upgrade our area and yet the pole outside my next door neighbour's house has now got connectors on them. Am I correct in thinking that these are for use with connectorised fibre cables to take the fibre to individual properties?

I have found many images on the web of connectorised blocks but none that look just like these.

I hope that this link works for the image as I have been unable to find any guidance as to how best to include images on this forum posts.

Pole connectors
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Jul-20 14:10:16
Print Post

Re: What exactly are these connections?

[re: chriswillsher] [link to this post]

They are not connectors, they are fibre creep preventers

Edited by dect (Tue 14-Jul-20 14:10:38)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Jul-20 14:17:31
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Which means there is fibre going past the house to somewhere else.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-20 14:25:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for adding that Andrew. I was trying to find out what they were for. I can see the overhead fibre cable continuing in two directions so at least I know it is there. You have helped me understand in an earlier post what the various parts of the infrastructure mean and I am using this to try and get answers from Openreach as our community has gone literally overnight from "FTTP coming soon" to "no plans to upgrade your area". Clearly they have installed a of of kit already but are ignoring are questions as to why everything has stopped. I would love to know whether it is the government money that has run out or technical issues.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jul-20 14:37:25
Print Post

Can we have larger picture of the pole, so we can see more of the equipment on the pole
(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-20 15:36:24
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

I am not very good with a camera but there is not much on this pole but at the top on the other side is this:
Top other side
and in the duct below they installed this back in 2016 although not much has happened since:
In duct manhole
plus these notices on all the poles:
Clue?
The next pole down has this at the top:
Next pole
and the one after that: 2 poles away
and at the end of the line of poles:
Green box on pole
Hopefully all that will indicate lots of activity which has now come to a a halt yet again. It is hard to believe that all this started in August 2016 and we are still on poor ADSL.

Edited by chriswillsher (Tue 14-Jul-20 15:50:32)

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jul-20 15:54:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by chriswillsher:
The next pole down has this at the top:
Next pole
and the one after that: 2 poles away

Bingo those are fibre cbts. Which is good news

Hopefully all that will indicate lots of activity which has now come to a a halt yet again. It is hard to believe that all this started in August 2016 and we are still on poor ADSL.

Currently the same but with 16mbit vdsl. And we are now with the cbts and none of it wired up with a hold on it. Our journey started in aug 2017.

Edited by Taras (Tue 14-Jul-20 16:00:24)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Jul-20 16:15:47
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Have cbts here and overhead fibre in place, though not walked the route all the way, suspect still one gap.

Some areas go live a few postcodes at a time, and others it a big switch on, all depends on what the delay is.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 14-Jul-20 16:18:51
Print Post

and in the duct below they installed this back in 2016 although not much has happened since:
In duct manhole

Those are fibre trays for splicing onto splitters. The splitters themselves are tiny - like a really thin USB memory stick.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jul-20 16:21:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I keep on forgetting that you are in the same boat Andrew. We have 6 postcodes in the stuck situation, which is about 100 properties. When you can see the equipment there and not connected - it is the most frustrating thing ever.

I hope yours gets completed quickly along with Chris'
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to