General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 17-Sep-20 22:12:52
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk FTTP

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
Is it this one you are on at £108 per /M ?.

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/business/product/fibre

It states.
'Your own connection that's not shared'
If you are connected to a 'PON' then it will be 'Shared' surely .

No, that's their leased line product which is a totally different product. And yes leased lines really can offer uncontended service to the CP's network but you pay handsomely for this.

I'm on their Openreach 1 Gig FTTP service which at present can only be ordered through telesales and is £59.95/m + vat for a data only service.:

https://www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/products/business...

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 17-Sep-20 22:15:12
Print Post

[re: donka] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by donka:
In reply to a post by Highland76:
I’m on Fibre 900 (FTTP 1000/115).

All going well these past couple of days?

Yep, so far seeing speeds of 800+ Mbps day & night. BQM looks solid as well, no complaints at all smile

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User donka
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-20 22:22:38
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by donka:
I’m on Fibre 900 (FTTP 1000/115).

All going well these past couple of days?

Yep, so far seeing speeds of 800+ Mbps day & night. BQM looks solid as well, no complaints at all smile

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Nice, thanks for the update. 👍

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Sep-20 00:44:18
Print Post

smile
There were lots of our recently-available 😂s.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Fri 18-Sep-20 10:18:35
Print Post

Thanks, there website very confusing.

At £59.95/m + that's a lot better that what Eclipse Business want for there 160/30
Is the £59.95/m + on offer or is that the long term price ?.

Is there a VOIP phone service with this or was that on the BT Business line or both ?.

Re ''Edit: I should add as I already have an active ONT (4 port), TalkTalk activated their service remotely, on port 2 of the ONT. Port 1 has the BT FTTP line (330/50)''

Can you just expand on this .

1... 4 port ONT ... Are these the the Ethernet ports ?
2.. So you only have 1 x Fibre port ?
3.. Both services are routed via the one Fibre, one to port 1 and the other on port 2 ?.

Edited by APTMAN (Fri 18-Sep-20 10:26:49)

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Sep-20 10:30:12
Print Post

A 4-port ONT allows up to four separate ISP services to be delivered. They *are* ethernet ports, but they are for the WAN uplinks for up to four different routers.

This means you can buy additional FTTP services, even from different ISPs, without new fibres being pulled into your building.

Unfortunately, 4-port ONTs are no longer being supplied, so this isn't possible unless you are a legacy FTTP customer.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-20 10:39:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
3.. Both services are routed via the one Fibre, one to port 1 and the other on port 2 ?.

And you are sharing the PON (one fibre out of your premises), so you can't max out both ISPs at the same time.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Sep-20 10:48:52
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
And you are sharing the PON (one fibre out of your premises), so you can't max out both ISPs at the same time.

The PON isn't the limit here. The PON bandwidth is 2.4G down, 1.2G up (shared by all the users connected to the same splitter).

However, I have heard suggestions that the old 4-port ONT had an internal 1G connection to the CPU, such that the total bandwidth to all four ethernet ports could not exceed 1G.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-20 10:53:42
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
The PON isn't the limit here. The PON bandwidth is 2.4G down, 1.2G up (shared by all the users connected to the same splitter).
Oops, thanks!

However, I have heard suggestions that the old 4-port ONT had an internal 1G connection to the CPU, such that the total bandwidth to all four ethernet ports could not exceed 1G.

I was thinking a 1G limit between Ethernet and PON. Given how little hardware today supports anything faster than 1G, I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe faster (2.5 Gbit?) will come in time.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Sep-20 11:00:10
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

It's moot, because they are not supplying 4-port ONTs any more - presumably a cost-saving measure since most users don't take multiple services. However it's annoying for those of us who do want to, and especially when the CBT or splitter has no free ports.

CPUs and switches with 2.5G ports do exist, e.g. see this block diagram of a Mikrotik router:
https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/RB4011iGSplusRM_18...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to