General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-20 11:10:07
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk FTTP

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Yes, I realise you can buy, but not much equipment yet supports. So it’s either expensive at the chip level or just not seen as needed.

I was thinking of the designers of the ONT internals.
As you say a moot point as the 4 port has now gone.

Similar issue with Virgin Media’s gig1 service that is configured for 1.1 Gbit on the DOCSIS side, but only a 1G Ethernet port.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Highland76
(member) Fri 18-Sep-20 11:12:42
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

The £59.95/m (+vat) price is an introductory price and is fixed for 24 months. I've been told their regular prices will be at least an extra tenner each month. Its a data only service, voice is an extra £10/m but the voice part is over copper, until they release voip sometime in early 2021.

https://postimg.cc/jnyVS6Tq

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Highland76
(member) Fri 18-Sep-20 11:18:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
However, I have heard suggestions that the old 4-port ONT had an internal 1G connection to the CPU, such that the total bandwidth to all four ethernet ports could not exceed 1G.

I'm seeing max speeds on both lines simultaneously (~ 310 & ~ 900 Mbps) though I'm not sure if the 4 port ONT could cope with multiple Gigabit lines. The fact that I'm the only one with FTTP in my street probably helps a lot - I had FoD installed in 2017 when neighbouring properties were not enabled with 'native' FTTP on the back of my FoD build.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Fri 18-Sep-20 11:24:48)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Fri 18-Sep-20 11:52:04
Print Post

candlerb

I think each port has a 1G connection to the CPU, the CPU can handle more than 1G (depending on packet size, small packets will lower the limit considerably as seen when running multiple VOIP services).

The CPU has to handle at least 2.5G to filter out the packets for your ONT port (s) as this is the 'line rate' the PON is working at.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 20-Sep-20 21:40:49
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
As you say a moot point as the 4 port has now gone.

Given the 4-port ONT is defunct, what is current means of delivering more than one FTTP service to a single dwelling as with Highland76's situation?

Do OR install another passive splitter in the premises and then hang both (or more!) ONTs off it or do they drop another cable from the CBT (yuck)?
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Sep-20 21:46:57
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
do they drop another cable from the CBT (yuck)?
Assuming there is a spare CBT port.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 20-Sep-20 21:52:41
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
In reply to a post by Pheasant:
do they drop another cable from the CBT (yuck)?
Assuming there is a spare CBT port.

£7.68 from fs.com. Sorted! (I jest by the way)

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/30072.html
Standard User Highland76
(member) Mon 21-Sep-20 00:29:05
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

I don’t believe the 4 port ONT is *completely* extinct as Openreach still carry a limited supply either to replace the existing installed kit or in rare cases replace the single port one where someone wants more than 1 FTTP service - would certainly be less hassle than running new fibre(s) and installing additional ONT(s). I have the old style CSP fed by blown fibre tubing (BFT) with 3 spare fibres available. That means technically I could have up to 16 FTTP services running simultaneously ( 4 x 4 port ont) without the need to run/blow extra fibre from the DP/CBT to the CSP. Not that I ever see that happening!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Sep-20 04:47:54
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:
I don’t believe the 4 port ONT is *completely* extinct as Openreach still carry a limited supply

We have the original Huawei ONT that has 4 data ports and 2 phone ports and I know loads of engineers working in my area before this Covid issue still had them in their van still boxed up unused.

Paul

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Sep-20 08:09:08
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I asked for one at FTTPoD installation time a year ago - they said they could not provide them for new installs. But they did agree to pull a second fibre from the pavement chamber.

I very much doubt that they'd use an on-site splitter, because of the light losses. I believe it would have to be another cable back to the CBT, hence going to a different port on the main splitter. If the CBT or the splitter is full, you are out of luck.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to